Balancing Magic and a "Regular" Full-Time Job & De

Jun 23, 2011
New York
I'm a recent veteran, working a full time job and going to school full time. Every week I create a schedule of things to do for the next 7 days. I usually dedicate 1 1/2 hours to magic on my busiest day. Then half way through the week I realize I didn't put half as much time as I need to/should. So, my first question is for the Semi-Pro, non-performer and amateurs. What tricks, tools, techniques have you found useful in balancing a full time job, or school with you magic? My second question is for those who have left their "regular" day job to become a full time performer. What was it that led you to the decision? Was it hard to get family support?

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I'm a recent veteran, working a full time job and going to school full time. Every week I create a schedule of things to do for the next 7 days. I usually dedicate 1 1/2 hours to magic on my busiest day. Then half way through the week I realize I didn't put half as much time as I need to/should. So, my first question is for the Semi-Pro, non-performer and amateurs. What tricks, tools, techniques have you found useful in balancing a full time job, or school with you magic? My second question is for those who have left their "regular" day job to become a full time performer. What was it that led you to the decision? Was it hard to get family support?

Hey,

I'm a part-time professional, I work a job that includes 2-4 evenings a week, my wife and I have a 3 year old daughter and a new son with extreme medical needs. Life is busy!

When I am at home I need to be allthere mentally. Our son requires a lot of work, so when I'm home, I do as much as possible to give my wife a break as well as trying to play the roles of Cinderella's prince, Little Mermaid's dad King Triton, or Rapunzel's friend Flynn with my daughter. Then of course I try to maintain a regular date night with my wife. These are some of the things I value above work and must take priority.

Unfortunately with my schedule I do not have time to practice every week. I have some really fantastic new effects for my show that I have not been able to put into the show yet because of lack of preparation and practice time. So I must schedule blocks of time with my family that I can work on my act. I try and learn something new every week or two and my wife is so gracious and lets me show her unfinished effects.

With the blocks of time, I try to maximise that time by preparing in advance what I want to accomplish with that block of time. For instance my next block of time is designated to a show coming on Oct 19th. My goal is to redesign my patter for Jumbo Twisted Sisters to accommodate a second performer (Working on a new two man show). I want to write the script down, try it, edit it, and try it again until I like it, then send it to my friend for his contribution. Then we will connect to rehearse all of the effects we have been working on.

Sometimes my block of time includes research of new effects, scripting, editing, watching videos of myself and taking notes, problem solving, practising individual pieces in the show, practising my transitions, or more recently developing and writing talks.

So in a nutshell, it helps me to schedule time (as you do) and set a specific attainable goal for that block of time (to keep me focused and prevent me from just fiddling with cards).

As well, keep it in check with the other priorities in my life. I never want it to get in the way of what really matters. My family talks about me doing magic full time - they think I should go for it. My wife is very supportive too. However she and I recognize that's not the best place for us to be financially with our medically fragile son. My family needs stability so priorities dictate regardless of support. Set your priorities and life goals and make sure everything you do moves you towards those goals.

Listen to your friends and family! If they are cautioning you against it there could be a whole lot of reasons. You might be a mediocre magician. You might be terrible at being an entrepreneur. You might be too ambitious, too headstrong, too stubborn, to relaxed, too timid etc. Really listen to those who know you well and see what they think. You may have one person who says don't because that's irresponsible, and another who says that you would be really good at it. My wife knows that I would need a lot of help with administration if I choose to do magic full time. She knows my weaknesses and would make sure I have a system in place to help me with that before I took the plunge. Find those people for you and really hear them. ESPECIALLY the brutally honest people. Every year people embarrass themselves on shows like American Idol who think they can sing because they either didn't listen to people around them or did not surround themselves with brutally honest friends and family. Real friends don't let friends bomb on camera! Be honest and transparent with those around you. Listen.

Anyhow, that's what I do. I know your situation will be much different than mine, but hopefully it helps address your questions.

-Justin

Jun 23, 2011
New York
Hey,

I'm a part-time professional, I work a job that includes 2-4 evenings a week, my wife and I have a 3 year old daughter and a new son with extreme medical needs. Life is busy!

When I am at home I need to be allthere mentally. Our son requires a lot of work, so when I'm home, I do as much as possible to give my wife a break as well as trying to play the roles of Cinderella's prince, Little Mermaid's dad King Triton, or Rapunzel's friend Flynn with my daughter. Then of course I try to maintain a regular date night with my wife. These are some of the things I value above work and must take priority.

Unfortunately with my schedule I do not have time to practice every week. I have some really fantastic new effects for my show that I have not been able to put into the show yet because of lack of preparation and practice time. So I must schedule blocks of time with my family that I can work on my act. I try and learn something new every week or two and my wife is so gracious and lets me show her unfinished effects.

With the blocks of time, I try to maximise that time by preparing in advance what I want to accomplish with that block of time. For instance my next block of time is designated to a show coming on Oct 19th. My goal is to redesign my patter for Jumbo Twisted Sisters to accommodate a second performer (Working on a new two man show). I want to write the script down, try it, edit it, and try it again until I like it, then send it to my friend for his contribution. Then we will connect to rehearse all of the effects we have been working on.

Sometimes my block of time includes research of new effects, scripting, editing, watching videos of myself and taking notes, problem solving, practising individual pieces in the show, practising my transitions, or more recently developing and writing talks.

So in a nutshell, it helps me to schedule time (as you do) and set a specific attainable goal for that block of time (to keep me focused and prevent me from just fiddling with cards).

As well, keep it in check with the other priorities in my life. I never want it to get in the way of what really matters. My family talks about me doing magic full time - they think I should go for it. My wife is very supportive too. However she and I recognize that's not the best place for us to be financially with our medically fragile son. My family needs stability so priorities dictate regardless of support. Set your priorities and life goals and make sure everything you do moves you towards those goals.

Listen to your friends and family! If they are cautioning you against it there could be a whole lot of reasons. You might be a mediocre magician. You might be terrible at being an entrepreneur. You might be too ambitious, too headstrong, too stubborn, to relaxed, too timid etc. Really listen to those who know you well and see what they think. You may have one person who says don't because that's irresponsible, and another who says that you would be really good at it. My wife knows that I would need a lot of help with administration if I choose to do magic full time. She knows my weaknesses and would make sure I have a system in place to help me with that before I took the plunge. Find those people for you and really hear them. ESPECIALLY the brutally honest people. Every year people embarrass themselves on shows like American Idol who think they can sing because they either didn't listen to people around them or did not surround themselves with brutally honest friends and family. Real friends don't let friends bomb on camera! Be honest and transparent with those around you. Listen.

Anyhow, that's what I do. I know your situation will be much different than mine, but hopefully it helps address your questions.

-Justin

Justin,
Thank you for that glimpse into your life. It was extremely thought provoking and motivational. I understand where you are coming from with the last bit. I get a mixture of both and I guess it is all about your own mindset as well. I understand sacrifice and I know that is what it takes to not only be a full-time performer but to be an entrepreneur in general. Thank you again for sharing your story.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
First of all, thank you for your service...I served as well... :)

Before I moved to Vegas to work for David, I was performing bar magic, 4 nights a week. Sometimes 5. It was a great gig that I had to just decide to do. I gave up a full time job where I was making guaranteed money...to a field where I didn't know if I was going to go broke or not. I got lucky and landed a full time gig...it was great.
I don't have a family so that made my decision a lot easier. For those with families, if you could chime in how you balance all of that...
If you are single, then you just need to make that leap, if that is what you want to do. If your act is polished enough, balanced enough and well, good enough, you should have no problem booking gigs and be a full timer. Though most pros I know have a secondary job just because magic is a hard field to make a career out of...

Jun 23, 2011
New York
First of all, thank you for your service...I served as well... :)

Before I moved to Vegas to work for David, I was performing bar magic, 4 nights a week. Sometimes 5. It was a great gig that I had to just decide to do. I gave up a full time job where I was making guaranteed money...to a field where I didn't know if I was going to go broke or not. I got lucky and landed a full time gig...it was great.
I don't have a family so that made my decision a lot easier. For those with families, if you could chime in how you balance all of that...
If you are single, then you just need to make that leap, if that is what you want to do. If your act is polished enough, balanced enough and well, good enough, you should have no problem booking gigs and be a full timer. Though most pros I know have a secondary job just because magic is a hard field to make a career out of...

Hey Mike,
Thank you as well for your service. So, I don't have a family in the sense that I don't have children yet, but I am married. My wife and I thought I was going to get out (only 2 months ago) and we'd move back to NYC to be close to family again. The plan -- I go to school and work on my magic that's it, while she would work part-time and go to school part-time. Then we get here, the VA seems to have gone on holiday so my disability and GI bill money is lost in a black hole "until they clear things up". So, I had to tighten up my belt, really look at my priorities and get a full time job, currently looking for a second one while going to school a d trying to find time for my magic. My wife feels bad that plans have changed, but we're a military family so, we're used to that. I guess the only thing that has me feeling anxious is I feel like I'm not creating the proper patterns in my life that will lead to if not a full-time run as a performer at least a part-time (more dominant then whatever else I'd have to do). But again, thank you for your input.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Balancing in life is very difficult. I remember something from one of Richard Covey's books about how your life sometimes needs to be out of balance. Sometimes, family has to take priority. Sometimes it is your job. Sometimes it is other commitments. As long as those periods are short- lived, that imbalance is a good thing because it enables you to make progress In one area of your life.

For me, magic is a hobby. I am fortunate to have a great job that I love doing. That job requires me to leave my house at 6:30 am and to get home between 7:30 and 8:30 pm. On my 45 minute train rides in the morning and evening, I check out a couple of forums and make a post or two, read Genii on my iPad and work on scripting. At night, I spend some time with my family and then practice something I'm working on or crack open a magic book to read for a bit before I go to sleep. Occasionally, I'll catch up with my magic friends on Skype. I also spend some time on weekend mornings reading and practicing - for me that is a way to relax. Maybe once a month, I'll go to a magic lecture.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
My life is kind of like Justin's....HECTIC! I am married (11 years) and have a 7 year old son and a 4 year old daughter. I am a full time elementary teacher of 13 years and a semi professional magician who normally does about 2-3 gigs per month. I'm up at 6:30 a.m. every day M-F making breakfast and dressing children to take to school before I head to work. I'm home at 4:15 to then complete homework with my kids and help my wife get dinner ready. After that, it is off to flag football practice that I coach or gymnastics depending on the day of the week. 8:00 p.m. is bath time, watch some cartoons and send them to bed at 8:30. I then work on my school work or papers to grade for the next day.

THEN....if I am not exhausted...I'll stay up from 10:00 p.m. to 11:00 and watch a magic DVD or read some out of a magic book or lecture notes. My magic time basically can only take place after the rest of the family is in bed simply because THERE IS NO ME time during the day. Family has to come first as the number 1 priority. If you don't make it a priority your wife and kids will call you out on the carpet...don't believe me? I've been there. It doesn't feel good to have your kids begging you to play a board game or push them on the swing and you are standing in front of a mirror vanishing spongeballs. Let's just say it doesn't go over well.
Magic cannot be your #1 if you are trying to run a household and keep your family together.

Now, on weekends, yes, when the kids are out playing with their friends, I try to squeeze as much magic in as I can. This could be going to a show, lecture, or magic shop to buy a few things, or Skyping or talking to a few guys from here or my IBM or FCM ring.

For those of you who are single guys....I say go for what you want and believe in. If you think you can go pro and have a steady income (notice I said steady)...then do it. However, I know many guys who cannot make it and so they keep their full time job and use any magic income as secondary money. This works out quite well. Try not to dump your magic earning right back into magic. Do things for your family so they reap some of the rewards of seeing you practice so much. For example: I am buying a trampoline and 2 iphone5's with my last gig money. My wife will appreciate it as will my children.

I have no idea how you guys with Families do it. I have loads of respect for you!

I have personally been through the trials and tribulations Magic brings. She's a cruel mistress sometimes. Once I went through a big run of stage shows. The girl I was seeing at the time turned around and pretty much told me I wasn't switching off. I was my character 24/7, and that ruined the relationship. I have since then calmed down in bookings and have made sure I can turn my character off just in case anything happens in the future, but that really made me open my eyes and see what I was doing to this girl.

I have recently just come out of education completely. I described myself as a full time magician whilst in college however (it was my second time in as I pretty much failed the first time. I'm 20 now) as I was pulling in loads of work and my college understood if I had to miss a few lessons. My girlfriend at the time however couldn't understand when I couldn't see her because of work mixed with me being in character all the time was a deciding factor in ending it.

However, my new assistant is 100% supportive. She's a brilliant person who wants to work with me to help get more gigs in, and if I can't make rehearsal or see her because I'm working, she gets it. We both know what we want out of our relationship and that's important I think. We both work to get each other work, and thats important. She has a few other jobs as well as being my assistant, but I only do the magic, and I'm doing alright at it. However I can't help thinking that if I did have a real job as well I'd quite like the extra cash, but at the same time, i don't think I'd enjoy it.

Of course if anything with my assistant got more serious, or a baby was on the way or whatever I'd have to take a long look at my career and see where i think it is going, but at the moment I think I'm a bit too young for all that, and I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts!

Simon_Magic

Jun 23, 2011
New York
Balancing in life is very difficult. I remember something from one of Richard Covey's books about how your life sometimes needs to be out of balance. Sometimes, family has to take priority. Sometimes it is your job. Sometimes it is other commitments. As long as those periods are short- lived, that imbalance is a good thing because it enables you to make progress In one area of your life.

For me, magic is a hobby. I am fortunate to have a great job that I love doing. That job requires me to leave my house at 6:30 am and to get home between 7:30 and 8:30 pm. On my 45 minute train rides in the morning and evening, I check out a couple of forums and make a post or two, read Genii on my iPad and work on scripting. At night, I spend some time with my family and then practice something I'm working on or crack open a magic book to read for a bit before I go to sleep. Occasionally, I'll catch up with my magic friends on Skype. I also spend some time on weekend mornings reading and practicing - for me that is a way to relax. Maybe once a month, I'll go to a magic lecture.

I hope like you, once I graduate I can land a job I love. Otherwise I don't think I'd ever be satisfied with magic only as a hobby. However, I feel/know this mind set of mine will change as time goes on and I re-organize my priorities. Would you happen to remember the title of the book you mentioned?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I hope like you, once I graduate I can land a job I love. Otherwise I don't think I'd ever be satisfied with magic only as a hobby. However, I feel/know this mind set of mine will change as time goes on and I re-organize my priorities. Would you happen to remember the title of the book you mentioned?

The book is by Steven Covey and is called First Things First. Another book that I recommend is Steven Covey's Seven Habbits of Highly Effective People.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results