Which is the most worth it?

A

A J

if i had to pick one i will pick the gold arcane with the red clip
but i think that the red clip is not made anymore

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I'd save myself a butt load of cash, go to the drug store or Walmart and buy a deck of Bikes . . . there's no need for a clip or box because if I'm actually working with them I'll destroy a deck in the course of one evening due to crimps, bends and simple destruction of this and that card. Too, it's far easier and less expensive to obtain gaffed cards for this stock deck.

I know that companies like T-11, E, etc. hate it when we old guys explain things in this manner, but it is how things work in the real world. When I was @ the Playboy Clubs or even playing around at the Castle, a deck rarely lasted more than a could of nights. The exception, but only to a slight degree, would be guys that did gambling type routines or who used "gentle" techniques. These are the guys that had Card Presses (a weight that actually pressed the deck in a manner that kept the cards flat & squared) and too, they would have a personalized case to keep their working deck in vs. the stock card box. This was done for a few reasons, including that of having a convenient hold-out.

I simply don't understand the love affair so many have with the paste-boards when their is so much more to magic.

Dec 29, 2011
I'd save myself a butt load of cash, go to the drug store or Walmart and buy a deck of Bikes . . . there's no need for a clip or box because if I'm actually working with them I'll destroy a deck in the course of one evening due to crimps, bends and simple destruction of this and that card. Too, it's far easier and less expensive to obtain gaffed cards for this stock deck.

I know that companies like T-11, E, etc. hate it when we old guys explain things in this manner, but it is how things work in the real world. When I was @ the Playboy Clubs or even playing around at the Castle, a deck rarely lasted more than a could of nights. The exception, but only to a slight degree, would be guys that did gambling type routines or who used "gentle" techniques. These are the guys that had Card Presses (a weight that actually pressed the deck in a manner that kept the cards flat & squared) and too, they would have a personalized case to keep their working deck in vs. the stock card box. This was done for a few reasons, including that of having a convenient hold-out.

I simply don't understand the love affair so many have with the paste-boards when their is so much more to magic.

Obviously what you're saying is true, but nobody performs with Gold Arcanes, Jerry's, White Monarchs, 1st Edition Artifice, or any of the number of collectible decks. Thats what they are, collectibles.

Oct 9, 2012
I don't understand it either, but I'm still guilty of it. :\ I'm not good at collecting because I always want to open my stuff.
So I guess my vote would also be the 4 Arcanes, I would use one (maybe two) and hide the others from myself.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I don't understand it either, but I'm still guilty of it. :\ I'm not good at collecting because I always want to open my stuff.
So I guess my vote would also be the 4 Arcanes, I would use one (maybe two) and hide the others from myself.

I've got a couple of these new deck designs and I got them because they were "neat" artistically. I just bought the new Zombie deck with the Rider back because it's something that fits my personality. And yes, I can understand the pack rat thing that magicians seem to be possessed by, I'm just bewildered when it comes to so many different decks and the drama set around each new release.

I guess I'm just too old to embrace it.

Apr 2, 2011

Thanks for your opinion. :)

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I'm just bewildered when it comes to so many different decks and the drama set around each new release.

I guess I'm just too old to embrace it.
Are you bewildered by stamp collectors? Wine connaisseurs? Car collectors? They all collect for the same reasons as card collectors. You may be too old to embrace it but you're not too old to understand it.

I think you misunderstood my question Simple Magic. What I was asking for was more information. The answer may be different if you're looking to collect and keep them, show them off, sell them etc...we don't know if you're claiming them as gifts from E, if you're buying them for a certain amount....those things may also affect which is most "worth it".

Apr 2, 2011
I think you misunderstood my question Simple Magic. What I was asking for was more information. The answer may be different if you're looking to collect and keep them, show them off, sell them etc...we don't know if you're claiming them as gifts from E, if you're buying them for a certain amount....those things may also affect which is most "worth it".

Sorry. :) I've decided to go with 4 gold arcanes. I plan to collect one and sell the rest. I'm claiming them as gifts from E.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Obviously what you're saying is true, but nobody performs with Gold Arcanes, Jerry's, White Monarchs, 1st Edition Artifice, or any of the number of collectible decks. Thats what they are, collectibles.

I've performed with 1st Edition Artifice and I'll probably end up performing with at least one of my Gold Arcanes.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results