Trading Magic Tricks?

May 9, 2013
is trading magic tricks from theory11,ellusionist or any other magic site is illegal? i have seen alot videos on youtube of trading tricks and i just loosed my temper when i seen someone is trading mechanic dvd because i just downloaded yesterday.should i report it or there is nothing that i can do about it. thanks

Mar 22, 2013
Munich / Germany
Trading is illegal - but I'm not sure if you can have a Youtube video deleted just because someone
says that he is willing to trade an effect.

But I guess you can't go wrong with reporting this to Ellusionist - they will do what they can to have this video deleted...

Jul 22, 2013
California
I am most definitely not advocating trading, but I was just wondering- Why is trading illegal? What exactly is the difference between trading magic dvds online versus trading 'normal' dvds over Craigslist or other sites?

Sep 1, 2007
This is another one of those things that magicians get all up in arms about, and then go and do themselves when they think no one's looking. Pros give away and trade manuscripts and secrets constantly. It's like a currency for them. But you're not in on it until you've paid your dues. Is talking about in public advised? No. It comes across as crass, greedy, amateurish and gauche. But behind closed doors? You better believe it happens, and at every level.

CalvinTan

Elite Member
Technically, trading is not illegal in terms of US laws. If you buy a DVD, it's yours to do whatever you want with it, including trading it away. In terms of magic, it's more an ethical question. Because the business of magic is the secret, is it ethical to learn the secret and then trade it away?

My personal view on this is that if I buy a DVD, and I use something on it, I will keep it. If I don't use anything on it, I will trade or give it away to someone that is interested in it. That's how I at least justify it ethically for myself.

Sep 1, 2007
yeah but its still a sly move to trade what other people make their living from

Name me five magicians who make the lion's share of their income from selling books and DVDs, please. This is a misconception that really needs to go away.

In fact, here's the cold hard truth all creators and would-be creators need to accept right here and right now: You do not have to like trading, piracy, or secret sharing, but in this day and age it's the cost of doing business.

Name me five magicians who make the lion's share of their income from selling books and DVDs, please. This is a misconception that really needs to go away.

In fact, here's the cold hard truth all creators and would-be creators need to accept right here and right now: You do not have to like trading, piracy, or secret sharing, but in this day and age it's the cost of doing business.

Challenge Accepted:

1) Jay Sankey
2) Benji Bruce
3) Dan & Dave Buck

Dammit. Okay I got three, I'm happy with that.

But Steer is right. People trade and give stuff away all the time, and on all levels. It's just not talked about openly because it's as Steer said gouache. My advice is if you engage in it; keep it low, don't talk about it publicly, and don't advertise that it's going on.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results