Beginner Feeling A Bit Discouraged

Kristos

Elite Member
Nov 30, 2013
Hey all, so I have been practicing the very basics per the first genesis instructional video for a couple of weeks now, and I'm feeling a bit discouraged. I've gotten great at the first couple of tricks such as charlier and scissor cuts, however one that I just can't seem to close on is the ever-simple thumb cut. I do have hands on the smaller side, though I know that is a common excuse for people that can't make reaches in the beginning, but I'm just curious to know if anyone has had success with seemingly more difficult tricks, while finding simpler ones to be such a pain to complete. I am a patient guy and know these tricks won't come overnight, so I'm keeping at it as best I can.

Obviously all of these moves I mentioned are the most elementary, but I wanted to reach out should anyone have similar stories of encouragement lol. Thanks in advance.

c.t

Apr 17, 2013
Australia
Hey man, ive been doing Cardistry for around a year and i still cant do the bloody thumb cut, TO ME the thumb cut is one of the hardest moves but for some reason i could do the revoloution cut first time i tried it, so it might just be something u cant do easily, practise hard it'll come eventually :) good luck and have fun

Jul 15, 2013
Hey:)

I have been doing cardistry for slightly more than a year :) there are a lot of simple flourishes out there like the thumb cut and blink and many other flourishes that i am not able to do it without dropping a single piece of card. Try out some other moves to get a specific mechanism to do the particular flourish. Its okay to drop your cards, just remember to pick them up, square it and never give up. Keep those cards flourish :)

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
It's good that you're sticking with the basics instead of skipping them, that's a really great way to start off in cardistry. Don't get discouraged man, this is just the annoying and tedious beginning that comes with just about any hobby. I've been doing cardistry for somewhere between 2-3 years now, and I find myself going back to the basics purely because you realize later on how valuable they really are. The decisions you make now are crucial to who you'll be as a cardist in the future. There's the fast way of learning cardistry and there's a right way of learning cardistry. Take your time, we've all been there at some point.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Look at cardistry like a sport, it can take months and even years to get your hands in shape and perfect moves. I've been working on Pandora for about a year and it's still nowhere near looking pretty and smooth.

You will find that some moves will be very difficult as the size and shape of your hands are different to other peoples so this isn't something to worry about. The varying difficulty of flourishes will determine your style.

Dec 7, 2013
California
I had the same problem and it took me a long time just to master a charlier cut. I suggest that you watch the videos over and over intill its almost second nature.

S_Darth

Elite Member
Jan 20, 2013
India
Dude, stick to the basics and if you did skip them go back to them cause you're really gonna regret if you skip it. I skipped and regret it cause its one of the coolest flourishes to do after the spring. Especially when done in both hands the Huron Low fashion.
Though I still have some problems with it :( even when I decided to go back to my basics. Just don't seem to get the hang of it but hope to get it soon :)

Kristos

Elite Member
Nov 30, 2013
Dude, stick to the basics and if you did skip them go back to them cause you're really gonna regret if you skip it. I skipped and regret it cause its one of the coolest flourishes to do after the spring. Especially when done in both hands the Huron Low fashion.
Though I still have some problems with it :( even when I decided to go back to my basics. Just don't seem to get the hang of it but hope to get it soon :)

Yeah trust me i'm patient and not one to skip the basics. My thumb cut has improved a tiny bit, but still not great with it. I think I might take RickyBapt's advice and take a few cards out to lessen the deck size so i can at least get the mechanics down first. I've really just been doing Charlier, scissor, and thumb cuts over and over. The Charlier is nothing to me now, and scissor is getting quicker. Trying to resist moving on to other moves in the video that would probably be even more diffucult without mastering the basics first.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results