Help Us Stop Magic Piracy

levivoltz

Elite Member
Dec 7, 2014
Finally! A person to finally stand against it with....well a whole great bunch of people.
I'll make sure to help out, in fact I know a lot of Youtube channels that have been doing this lately.

levivoltz

Elite Member
Dec 7, 2014
I think that one of the main things that made piracy such a big problem in the magic industry is that people dont trust the magic dealers in general anymore.

I know that there is allot of magicians that has spent 1000 of dollars every year on magic but now stopped because they dont trust magic dealers/sellers anymore because there are so much false advertising and bad service all the time.

Pre orders is often delayed several months and allot of adds are false to people dont trust them so people stop buying because they dont want to waste money since most of the time you cant use the product you bought.

This is not true for T11, everything includeing the service here is fantastic, but since the magic community is so small stuff like that affects everyone.
Yeah I know exactly what you mean mate.

Oct 12, 2015
Personally I feel a lot of magic is misrepresented and made to look much better than it really is by good video editing, in cases where the effect is made to look so much better that the real thing is a waste of money piracy is acceptable. I also believe piracy can be acceptable in certain other areas too but generally don't agree.

Jun 3, 2015
A frequent topic on this forum is piracy - exposure, and how to stop it. I don't think it would surprise you to know that this is a frequent topic of discussion behind the scenes, as well, and something we work to minimize on a daily basis. It's a constant battle for us, and hardly a day goes by when we don't deal with members who, with no moral hesitation whatsoever, upload copyrighted videos of work that does not belong to them.

It's even more troubling when - rarely, but sometimes - we hear about copyright infringement and filesharing from members who post here in these very forums, supposedly respecting the art while at the same time robbing those who are fighting, innovating, on its front lines.

Everyday we have members of our core crew and legal team on the look out. We try to minimize piracy as much as possible in - quite frankly - an effort to protect our work and our business. More than that, we do it to protect our artists - many of whose livelihoods and families depend wholeheartedly on sale of their original work. Every illegal download, every copyrighted video that is shared - does not go unnoticed. It matters - it really does matter.

There comes a point where we must admit that we are only a team of limited resources. And right now especially, we place those resources on what we do best - producing, creating, interacting, and advancing this artform one day at a time. Dealing with copyright infringement is a distraction to that goal, an interference to that objective. So today, we ask for your help.

Help us stop copyright infringement and illegal filesharing within this artform - both in magic and in cardistry. Report any active links that you come across - whether that be a YouTube video of a theory11 production (exposing something for all to see), a RapidShare / MegaVideo link, or any other of the sort.

With your help, we can not only make a difference - but maintain better focus on our work.

http://theory11.wufoo.com/forms/theory11-copyright-report/
fact is U can't stop it, magician all over world do their own tricks if someone figure it out U can't do nothing ok that's a fact, are U saying someone stole of yours

Oct 20, 2015
Well said. I have always been against piracy in all forms. The whole concept is inefficient itself.

Jul 30, 2015
I can't keep up with all this. But I can respond to a few comments.

If you purchase a T11 video and then upload it to YouTube, that's illegal. So, in response to one poster, no, you can't buy Jason's video on the Side Steal (didn't know he had one) and upload it to YouTube. Is it legal to make your own video teaching the Side Steal and post it on YouTube? Absolutely. What if that video cribs an insight you learned from Jason England? Still legal. Some may say it's immoral, but it'd still be perfectly legal.

Is downloading copyrighted material illegal? Yes. Yes, it is. (Does it hurt those how own the copyright? The evidence is fairly conclusive. No. it doesn't.) Still, it's illegal. Is it immoral? That's a more difficult question. But on the assumption that nobody is harmed, it's probably not very immoral if it is immoral in the first place. And the fact of the matter is that the evidence suggests that this kind of illegal downloading actually benefits content creators rather than harming them. The lessons we learn from economists are often counter-intuitive.

What about those YouTube "reveals". The fact of the matter is that almost none of these are illegal. Reporting them isn't going to do a damn thing except give other folks the opportunity to shame the "revealers." Those in the magic community generally consider such YouTube reveals to be immoral (or a violation of a code of professional ethics they adhere to) and enact punitive measures (largely shaming and exclusion) whenever possible against such individuals. But this self-policing is no longer a viable method of keeping secrets.

In the rare cases in which such a YouTube reveal is illegal, the creator of the effect (or gimmick, etc...) will have had to place it in the public domain by patenting it, which is itself a public reveal. This places magical content creators in the position of choosing between six of one or half a dozen of another. And if you figure out a magic trick by watching a performance of it and share the secret with others, that's always totally legal. Your right to free speech is not impinged by the fact that someone tried to fool you and failed.

All that said, it looks to me like magic is taking off. More and more are becoming interested in it. That's a good thing, and will benefit those interested in creating real magic. The card business is booming. More effects, props and videos are being sold than ever before. The internet boom as benefited everyone, content creators included.

Reactions: The Magic X
Nov 12, 2015
Its so hard to stop anything like that in a realistic sense. Just keep your secrets secret. the public doesnt care enough to learn them all.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Its so hard to stop anything like that in a realistic sense. Just keep your secrets secret. the public doesnt care enough to learn them all.

True, it is hard to stop, considering the multimedia aspect about it these days. And the public may not care about all of them, but if you're looking for a specific paid tutorial on YouTube or just happen along one; that WAS a potential customer. Plus, it really sucks seeing something you paid for all of a sudden show up on YouTube being revealed, or done as a tutorial.

The system does work. I've reported a few things on YouTube that did end up being taken down.
You keep and eye out and do what you can.
Even if you only report one tutorial or reveal, every little bit helps

Reactions: CWhite
Mar 8, 2016
Yeah, the thing that bothers me is that people do not understand the basic idea of a magic trick: The other guy doesn't know how it is done.

Magic piracy is basically some bored guy downloading videos to figure out the trick. He is on the other side from the magician: He is looking to figure it out and the magician already knows it! So I think it is pretty sad...

What's with this? Actual logic?

Mar 8, 2016
^ amen dude.

These Jason England 1-on-1s are becoming a joke. Just another way for Jonathan Bayme to make money, reselling old effects but in "HD" for mass appeal to young kids who could care less about who made it originally. It's sick and misconstrued, but hell they're making cash and that's what it's all about these days, right?

Yeah, and then complain and make a big deal about magic piracy. In fact, it's probably better for sales to hype piracy when he knows that the only real way to see it is on the dvd. Watch a snip or two on youtube and you'll be hooked in. Most users don't even know how to get free material (not saying that I do). Then we have sanctimonious people that probably get it for free and tell us not to.

Dec 5, 2014
Philippines
SNC can help you with this. When you have new product released do a contest on revealing the trick wrong like what you did in counterfeit and the heck YouTube magicians will be confused on which is the right tutorial

Reactions: vinod 1
Apr 9, 2016
David Roth's expert coin magic made easy was uploaded in a youtube channel with many other magic videos what should i do.

Mar 8, 2016
I've stated many times before, yo I'm back, if you want to cut down on youtube etc. piracy than post bunk videos of solutions that don't exist.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results