theory11.bulletin - Congressional Resolution 642

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hello everyone!

I am fairly certain that we can all agree on this one thing - magic is art. Over the years, magic has had the power to positively impact so many lives. It inspires us, it empowers us, and allows us to see things in a completely new perspective.

Congressional Resolution 642 is an important step in establishing magic as an artform, and to afford magic the same protection, promotion, and preservation as any other performing art (with equal artistic respect as dance, jazz, music, and film.)

theory11 has been working directly alongside David Copperfield and team to support and develop this website - and now we need your support to make this happen!

All it takes is a few seconds to sign the petition and let your voice known. If you are in the United States, you can also send a message to your state's congressmen. Click on the link below to sign the petition!

SIGN THE PETITION

Jul 3, 2014
Such a wonderful idea, simple in design, complex in its ability to possibly shape a somewhat stereotyped history of magic and illusion. You see so many people calling magic "kid-like", dumb, easy, unimportant. We don't hear these things nearly as often with some of the more traditional forms of fine arts. Magic requires the years of practice like tradition art, requires the fine skills like dance, and requires the showmanship of theatre. I have personally been heavily involved in all of these traditional forms of fine arts, and magic is the one the could easily require the most overall skill. Not to take anything away from other forms, but magic has so many components that are equally involved, unlike some other tradition fine arts. I see this as a good starting point in changing the outlook and further history of magic. Hopefully, if this passes, more people will begin to look into different aspects of magic. Everyone has seen a piece of art, everyone has seen someone dance, and everyone has seen theatre or some film of some sort. Not everyone has magic, and this is sad. It is such an amazing experience for anyone. I hopefully will get to see in the future more and more people say "I just saw the most amazing piece of magic!" or "I just saw my first magic show and it was spectacular!"

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
I'm just curious. Can someone clarify what "preserve, protect, and promote" means? Preserve and or protect how, in what way? I'm not very knowledgeable in how this resolution can make a difference. I also want to know what it will enable (and who it will enable) to preserve, protect, and promote. If there's no sort of government funding, what will enable magic to be promoted any more than it currently is? I'd sign this, but I want to know exactly what I'm supporting and why I should support it before I do so.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I'm just curious. Can someone clarify what "preserve, protect, and promote" means? Preserve and or protect how, in what way? I'm not very knowledgeable in how this resolution can make a difference. I also want to know what it will enable (and who it will enable) to preserve, protect, and promote. If there's no sort of government funding, what will enable magic to be promoted any more than it currently is? I'd sign this, but I want to know exactly what I'm supporting and why I should support it before I do so.
You can read the full resolution right here.

An important goal of this resolution is to help pave the way for magicians to better protect their work - the same way that musicians and filmmakers and dancers can, by way of intellectual property rights. As of today, a ballet dancer can copyright their choreography, but a magic effect (which is equally, if not moreso, a series of very specific movements) cannot easily be protected.

Here is a section of the Washington Post article, which you can find on the petition web page:

To be clear, this resolution wouldn’t immediately change any laws. It wouldn’t necessarily make it easier for magicians to sue over stolen tricks, and it wouldn’t mean that grant-giving foundations must acknowledge magicians as artists. Still, it’s progress in the right direction, Copperfield said.

“I have won various cases when people have been taking my illusions without permission,” he said. “But it would help me even more to have the government acknowledge that it is a true art form.”

Like the article said, it is a step in the right direction to meet magicians' needs in this gray area of intellectual property battles, and also helps the process for obtaining corporate grants and foundational funding for programs such as Copperfield's Project Magic, which:

- Uses magic as a form of therapy for children with physical, psychological, and social disabilities.
- Can help these children improve their physical and mental dexterity and increase their confidence.

With all of that said, it is important that we get as many signatures as possible to help turn this into a reality!

SIGN THE PETITION HERE

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results