Original Trick!

Dec 12, 2015
I have been wondering if my trick is original or it has been published already?

This is the trick:

You show a spectator a deck of cards, or you borrow a deck. You have them select a card or multiple cards and then you lose it in the deck (for real). Then you can have them shuffle the deck if they want to. Once they are done shuffling, you have them drop the deck on the table or floor from about 10-20 inches. When the cards hit the table or floor, the deck cuts itself to one card. That card is there card. Half of the deck on occasion will flip over and the other half will be face down, and the first face down card is there card.

I have also been wondering if it is a good enough trick to be published if it is original. Is it good enough?

Thanks for the answers!

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
It definitely COULD be original, depending on the method. I do a piece of magic almost identical to this but instead of the spectator dropping the cards, the cards are placed on the table and they flick the long edge of the cards (underneath the bevel of the deck) and about half the cards flip over revealing their selection on the face. I wish I could tell you where I learned this so you could see if the method is similar, but it's just one of those things that a friend showed me a long ass time ago and it's never really left my repertoire since.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
I think the originality will come from the performance itself. depending on the method, It sounds like it may have been done before. But if it is as "hands off" as you say, it may be worth trying for anyways, as long as you give proper credits to routines that inspired it!

It definitely COULD be original, depending on the method. I do a piece of magic almost identical to this but instead of the spectator dropping the cards, the cards are placed on the table and they flick the long edge of the cards (underneath the bevel of the deck) and about half the cards flip over revealing their selection on the face. I wish I could tell you where I learned this so you could see if the method is similar, but it's just one of those things that a friend showed me a long ass time ago and it's never really left my repertoire since.

This is Pit Hurtling's 'Finger Flicker' and can be found in his book 'Card Fictions'.

This is the trick:

You show a spectator a deck of cards, or you borrow a deck. You have them select a card or multiple cards and then you lose it in the deck (for real). Then you can have them shuffle the deck if they want to. Once they are done shuffling, you have them drop the deck on the table or floor from about 10-20 inches. When the cards hit the table or floor, the deck cuts itself to one card. That card is there card. Half of the deck on occasion will flip over and the other half will be face down, and the first face down card is there card.

I have also been wondering if it is a good enough trick to be published if it is original. Is it good enough?

Thanks for the answers!

From effect description only it sounds an awful lot like 'Bounce' by Daniel Madison, which is available as a download from Ellusionist.

Rev

Dec 12, 2015
Can you make a video of it? It does seem to be exactly like bounce...
It does sound a lot like bounce, and i just watched the trailer for it. He uses a move and I use a gimmick. My works every time and can be done in the spectators hand. I don't think our methods are the same.

It does sound a lot like bounce, and i just watched the trailer for it. He uses a move and I use a gimmick. My works every time and can be done in the spectators hand. I don't think our methods are the same.

You don't think? Why not buy 'Bounce' and check, it's the only way to be sure.

You asked in your original post whether your version was 'good enough to publish'. Well, lets consider it from a 'marketing' point of view:

People prefer stuff that is 'un-gimmicked'. Magic producers and dealers make a big deal out of things that look great but use no gimmicks. Therefore, in the eyes of those who would be buying your product, is your method really an improvement? Why would they buy a gimmicked version when they could buy DM's un-gimmicked version?

I don't want to discourage you. Your method (if it is different) might be really clever, but you need to think about whether people would actually buy yours when DM's is already on the market.

Rev

Dec 12, 2015
You don't think? Why not buy 'Bounce' and check, it's the only way to be sure.

You asked in your original post whether your version was 'good enough to publish'. Well, lets consider it from a 'marketing' point of view:

People prefer stuff that is 'un-gimmicked'. Magic producers and dealers make a big deal out of things that look great but use no gimmicks. Therefore, in the eyes of those who would be buying your product, is your method really an improvement? Why would they buy a gimmicked version when they could buy DM's un-gimmicked version?

I don't want to discourage you. Your method (if it is different) might be really clever, but you need to think about whether people would actually buy yours when DM's is already on the market.

Rev
I totally understand about the gimmick and I agree with you. I just bought it and watched it. Our methods are different and they both achieve the same thing. Thank you for your help!

May 30, 2016

This is the trick:

Thanks for the answers!

This is the trick:

Thanks for the answers!

This is the trick:

Thanks for the answers!

Dec 12, 2015
Very good trick, but how can you show selected multiple cards with only one bounce?
Ok, say they pick 2 cards, then you drop the cards and the top half of the deck bounces off face up. Then the bottom half is face down. You flip the two on top of the bottom half and there are the two selected cards.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results