Acme Hole

JPS

Dec 21, 2016
Now i wasn't expecting much when buying a 9$ download off of ellusionist however what resulted afterwards was the most discouraging 2 and a half hours of my career in magic.

There's a hole in this playing card! NO! You can peel off the hole. Was it ever really there? Who knows. Whether or not you think the performance looks alright on instagram is totally overshadowed by the glaringly obvious, loud, obnoxious to construct, obnoxiously time consuming gimmick.

There are plenty of effects just like Acme that time and time again draw me in and always leave me disappointed.

In the 45 minute download Lloyd himself constantly says "Im not very good at doing this", "I rarely make it this way", "That doesnt match up very well" and worst of all

"Once you see it its very hard to 'un-see'".

Which is probably the worst thing you could say on your instructional video. If the gimmick design is glaringly obvious once you notice it, it isnt a good gimmick. Without giving too much away, depending on the materials you use not only are you going to have issues with shadows because of one part of the gimmick, but also glare from another material. There's also a lot of tension you need to hold which really starts to wear on your thumb.

When you do the "Move" the bloody thing is loud. Like really loud.

Im not sure if i "Constructed" my gimmick with too much "Construction force" that makes it "Motion" in a certain way that creates the noise, but even on the video you can hear Lloyds gimmick snapping.

So what you're left with is a gimmick that has obvious cuts, even if you spent a long time making sure its perfect, by the nature of the effect you cant seem to hide your lines.

To give Lloyd some credit, at least he has a few good tips on switching out the gimmick, if they dont catch you in the performance you at least have some good misdirection to ditch your gimmick.

What i cant understand is the praise the trick is getting. Is it a good plot? Of course, it looks amazing. Is it practical? Its a single card thick and requires no real set up. But the first time you make it you better bet its going to be a pain. It also doesnt feel very durable because of the tension you're putting on the card. And i cant stress this enough. YOU CAN VERY CLEARLY SEE THE ARTS AND CRAFTS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE CARD.

Maybe im just a terrible magician. Or ive been spoiled with those really "Clean" gimmicks. But this one just feels dirty. I feel violated, I cant return it, i cant use it, i can try to convince you not to buy it... but look at it. You know you're at least a bit curious. Its only 9$

It's 9$ ill never get back

It's 9$ that contributed to my horrible distrust of ellusionist's downloads

9$ I could have spent on anything

But i didn't

I bought Acme hole

frozono9

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2014
Barcelona
I purchased this and didn't think it was that bad. It did need some adjustments, but i think it's very good. Good enough that the gimmick now lives in my wallet.

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
I loved the trailer and was a 'mark' from the very beginning.
Thank you for the honest review!!

I think I'll pass on this one.
Cheers!

I had a theory on how this was done but the trailer looked "clean" so I wasn't quite sure (my best guess was it worked like a flap card). I couldn't see any seams in the trailer so I thought maybe he was on to something but I was still hesitant to check it out. My golden rule of buying magic (which I broke a few times and regretted it every time I broke it) is I won't buy an effect unless in the trailer there are live spectator performances. If the creator of the effect can't take the time to go out and perform and entertain for people how can they expect us to? It seems like Lloyd Barnes in particular has a nasty habit of creating for camera tricks only and selling them. I absolutely despise that practice and think very poorly of companies that think it's okay to distribute effects like that. Lloyd has done this same exact thing only at a $30 price tag with his garbage effect Change. I don't think I will ever buy anything from him ever again. Here is a review I did of Change if you are interested:

Thank you very much for your review. Hopefully one day we can put a stop to companies thinking it's okay to distribute trash effects that are not practical for live situations.

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
I don't mind effects that generally only work in set up conditions. So long as they're not perpetuated as anything else.

Dean Magic

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Florida
I had a theory on how this was done but the trailer looked "clean" so I wasn't quite sure (my best guess was it worked like a flap card). I couldn't see any seams in the trailer so I thought maybe he was on to something but I was still hesitant to check it out. My golden rule of buying magic (which I broke a few times and regretted it every time I broke it) is I won't buy an effect unless in the trailer there are live spectator performances. If the creator of the effect can't take the time to go out and perform and entertain for people how can they expect us to? It seems like Lloyd Barnes in particular has a nasty habit of creating for camera tricks only and selling them. I absolutely despise that practice and think very poorly of companies that think it's okay to distribute effects like that. Lloyd has done this same exact thing only at a $30 price tag with his garbage effect Change. I don't think I will ever buy anything from him ever again. Here is a review I did of Change if you are interested:

Thank you very much for your review. Hopefully one day we can put a stop to companies thinking it's okay to distribute trash effects that are not practical for live situations.
I agree with you there. Change is probably the worst magic effect I've ever purchased.

JPS

Dec 21, 2016
I had a theory on how this was done but the trailer looked "clean" so I wasn't quite sure (my best guess was it worked like a flap card). I couldn't see any seams in the trailer so I thought maybe he was on to something but I was still hesitant to check it out. My golden rule of buying magic (which I broke a few times and regretted it every time I broke it) is I won't buy an effect unless in the trailer there are live spectator performances.

I've seen you a few times before on here Tyler, I saw your youtube reviews on change and Odyssey a long time ago (Far before i started posting here) and thought they were very comprehensive reviews. Although i did disagree with you on odyssey; that thing is fabulous in my routine.

Just thought i'd let you know that ive seen your stuff before and i enjoy it. Keep up the good work

A few other totally useless Lloyd barnes effects are:
Iris
Glimmer
Change *As mentioned before*
Debatable Chroma depending on your style

Im not sure what the rationality is behind having specially made gimmicks that require awkward handlings and are practically impossible to discretely set up, which then cant be expected. The trade offs just aren't there

This one is probably the most practical, but for the money and time its so not worth it.

A far better effect is Pharasyte 2, which is on ellusionist for 6$ and is a regenerating hole plot which is much better than anything barnes has put out

Oct 10, 2015

The saddest part of this whole thread is the fact that "Change" by Lloyd Barnes was the VERY FIRST gimmick and/or trick that I EVER bought. I opened the package and after checking it out I thought to myself "Either I'm a dummy and just got ripped off, or these guys are REALLY good performers... cause I can't hide THAT."

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
its a crappy web cam effect just like everything else he does. predictable and bad magic

The saddest part of this whole thread is the fact that "Change" by Lloyd Barnes was the VERY FIRST gimmick and/or trick that I EVER bought. I opened the package and after checking it out I thought to myself "Either I'm a dummy and just got ripped off, or these guys are REALLY good performers... cause I can't hide THAT."
That sucks dude but I admire your persistence. I know if Change was my first effect that I bought I would have been like "I paid $30 for this? There is no way I could ever fool anyone in person with this." I would have given up and moved on to something else at that point so I'm glad that you have decided to stick with magic. My first effect I ever bought was Dresscode by Calen Morelli and I love that effect!

Reactions: KyleB10 and ProAma

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys, just want to chime in and remind everyone to be respectful towards magic creators and other magic websites when giving criticism or in a review of a certain product. We fully encourage voicing your opinion but use respectful language in the process. As a community we do not want to condone bashing or anything of the sort.

If you have any questions please feel free to message me!

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
This is something that always bothered me about magic effects on the market. I saw a post on FB from Lloyd which literally was something to the effect of "Been playing with this idea for a couple of weeks now, anyone have any feedback for it?" Then about a week or so later it went to market......

Magic should be put on the market that has been tested and had the kinks worked out. The only justifiable reason to put something on the market that has not been tested is if you present it as an "Idea" that the customer knows they will need to expand upon. If I ever put out something that is still in the test phase it will more than likely (99.9% of the time) be for free.

If you guys EVER see me rush something out just for a quick buck, please... PLEASE do not be afraid to call me out on it!

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
I respect Lloyd and think he is a great creator! I think sometimes we tend to fall victim to the "I need to put this out because I need money" thing.... all I ask is that we do our best to only put out stuff that the customer can really use and price it accordingly. I hope my above post was not too harsh :)

Reactions: KyleB10

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
This is something that always bothered me about magic effects on the market. I saw a post on FB from Lloyd which literally was something to the effect of "Been playing with this idea for a couple of weeks now, anyone have any feedback for it?" Then about a week or so later it went to market......

Magic should be put on the market that has been tested and had the kinks worked out. The only justifiable reason to put something on the market that has not been tested is if you present it as an "Idea" that the customer knows they will need to expand upon. If I ever put out something that is still in the test phase it will more than likely (99.9% of the time) be for free.

If you guys EVER see me rush something out just for a quick buck, please... PLEASE do not be afraid to call me out on it!
lol

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
When it comes to magic, I think it's best to implement the 'tattoo rule'.

You see a tribal tattoo and you want to put it on your lower back. Fine and dandy!

However!

It's best to wait a while and think about 'is this something I actually want? Is this something I want to spend money on? Is there a better design I want instead? Etc'

If there is an effect that looks neat, enjoy the moment. By all means.

But also ask critical questions of yourself on 'does this fit what I want to do? Or does it just look neat right now?'

I would also encourage to wait until people actually have the trick in their hands and write reviews wherever(heck. Just go to Google and write ___X magic trick___ reviews).

VERY RARELY does a trick ever sell and becomes extremely rare and near unobtainable when it's first released.

It's worth waiting to see if a trick actually resonates with you as opposed to impulse buying because a trailer looked good.

Instead of putting out products that haven't even been tested for a few months, they should release your stuff! It's audience tested and works which is the deal breaker for me. I know I would buy it!:D

This isn't meant to sound like a hateful comment or like I'm complaining but I'm legitimately curious as to what factors go in to deciding what products a company will put their name and marketing team behind. I understand being marketable is the first thing but I wonder what other factors go into it. Jonathan Bayme tipped a little bit of a clue in his podcast with Blake Vogt about if the effect looks like fun for an audience (which is another deal breaker in my purchasing decisions). Would love to hear any insight on this!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results