Feb 17, 2017
Hello! I received my copy of the expert at the card table today! But i can not understand the "technical terms section". Can anyone show me how the in- jog and the out- jog works? And by the "top card" or the "first card" is it the side where the card are facing the sky in dealer's grip( the side that is not touching your palm)? And is there an easier way to fully understand the book, or can you go in sequence(page 1, page 2, etc.) Any help would me wonderful.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
It's a tough book to understand for sure. The beginning section is tough to get. The culling section gets pretty confusing. I wouldn't stress it too much. Keep moving through the book and somethings will become more clear.

This is an in jog:
easy-card-tricks-4.jpg

This is an out jog:
3103_105_219.jpg

Reactions: Nerv and 010rusty

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
It's a tough book to understand for sure. The beginning section is tough to get. The culling section gets pretty confusing. I wouldn't stress it too much. Keep moving through the book and somethings will become more clear.

This is an in jog:
easy-card-tricks-4.jpg

This is an out jog:
3103_105_219.jpg

You're right on track with the top and first card.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Expert at the Card Table is a difficult book to learn from and shouldn't be the first book someone picks up on card magic.

You may also want to check out this thread on Royal Road to Card Magic (Click Here). That book is a little easier to understand.

Feb 17, 2017

This is an in jog:
easy-card-tricks-4.jpg

This is an out jog:
3103_105_219.jpg
Thank you for the pictures! this helped me a lot.

Feb 17, 2017
Expert at the Card Table is a difficult book to learn from and shouldn't be the first book someone picks up on card magic.

You may also want to check out this thread on Royal Road to Card Magic (Click Here). That book is a little easier to understand.
Ok, i will think about that. Is the Art of astonishment series good for someone who is intermediate at sleight of hand?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Ok, i will think about that. Is the Art of astonishment series good for someone who is intermediate at sleight of hand?

Just a note, the link to the thread has a download of Royal Road to Card Magic for free. Can't do better than that.

If you are asking about terminology, I don't think you are ready for Art of Astonishment. There is an assumption that you know the fundamentals. The best bet is the first two volumes of Card College series. The teaching is so much better than Expert at the Card Table (which is difficult if you don't know fundamentals) and Royal Road to Card Magic (which is good, but not as detailed as I'd like). Card College uses standardized terms (there is a picture of someone's hands on the inside cover, indicating what each part of the hand is referred to) and has a lot of updated handlings.

My sense has always been that Expert at the Card Table is a book to study and not one to learn from. That is, read it in conjunction with a copy of Vernon's Revelations and/or Darwin Ortiz's and Mike Cavney's Annotated Erdnase.

You're not at intermediate if you don't know what an Injog is. It's taught within the first 10 pages of Royal Road.

Don't get ahead of yourself as you'll only get discouraged.

I can only echo what everyone else has said and get a copy of Royal Road to Card Magic. You won't regret it. I'd say go for a hard copy but considering you can get the PDF free (totally legitimately) I'd say you've got no excuse not to.

Rev

Reactions: CWhite
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results