Marked Decks

Oct 6, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I purchased a NOC deck which has a marking system. The other night I was messing around with friends and was using the markings to "guess" the cards. It wasn't meant to be presented as magical or anything too serious. Just me screwing around and they literally flipped out over it and couldn't figure it out. I let them inspect the cards, shuffle the cards, choice whatever card. It didn't matter. It was an insane reaction in my opinion because to me it wasn't really anything special. (Although I would like to use it and present it in a better way if the reactions are that good.)
So I just wanted to know what some of your favorite marked decks are? I like the NOCs, the quality is great, the system is easy but they are kind of boring looking. Just curious as to what you use or like.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Ultimate Marked Deck. Bicycle Rider Back.

Check out Kirk Charles book Hidden in Plain Sight for some great routines. You Pick My Card is a lot of fun and leaves spectators amazed.

Dec 31, 2015
Don't NOC cards just have solid colored backs? How would a marking system on them work? I mean don't reveal it here but still.

The interesting thing about the NOC cards is that at least as far as the Murphy's Signature NOC goes, is that the deck has a solid color back with a gold border which in turn has a white border. There is a marking system, and Alex Pandrea already released the secrets through The Blue Crown website, so if you want to learn it, that's where I'd go.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
The interesting thing about the NOC cards is that at least as far as the Murphy's Signature NOC goes, is that the deck has a solid color back with a gold border which in turn has a white border. There is a marking system, and Alex Pandrea already released the secrets through The Blue Crown website, so if you want to learn it, that's where I'd go.
And this is the marking system used by the NOCs? Nice!

The Red Bicycle 1800 Vintage is a great marked deck! Cool design too.
I have that deck. Didn’t know they’re marked. Are all of the 1800s decks marked or is there a specific marked version of the deck?

Dec 31, 2014

I have that deck. Didn’t know they’re marked. Are all of the 1800s decks marked or is there a specific marked version of the deck?

To the best of my knowledge, yes! The markings are hard to find, but they are located in the upper right corner, by the cupid (I'm pretty sure).

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Dec 31, 2015
How can I tell which is which?

As best as I've been able to tell, the first editions of the 1800s deck have a very thin border/no border on the front of the tuck case where the red of the Bicycle design goes right up to the edge of the tuck case. The second edition deck has an old parchment colored border around the edge.

In short the most obvious difference seems to be on the front of the tuck case. The first edition sees the red go right up to the edges of the front while the second does not.

Dec 31, 2015
How can I learn the marking system? I think mine are the second edition.

If you're working with the second edition, check out Ellusionist's page on the Series 1800s deck if you want to see exactly where the deck is marked at the time 0:52.

https://www.ellusionist.com/marked-vintage-1800-playing-cards-red.html

In short though, you should check out the top left corner of the playing cards and you should see the card suit and value cleverly disguised there. My grief with the system is only that once you know where to look, it's painfully obvious. My other complaint is that the markings are exactly where people I've performed for would look as they examine a deck for markings. However, as I like to say with marked decks, if you're using them, the audience should never have a reason to believe that you're working with a marked deck.

My other advice is that if you're going to use the Series 1800 deck in performance, try to snag a few of the original unmarked V1 decks so that if the spectator insists on examining the cards, you have an unmarked identical version to switch out just in case.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
If you're working with the second edition, check out Ellusionist's page on the Series 1800s deck if you want to see exactly where the deck is marked at the time 0:52.

https://www.ellusionist.com/marked-vintage-1800-playing-cards-red.html

In short though, you should check out the top left corner of the playing cards and you should see the card suit and value cleverly disguised there. My grief with the system is only that once you know where to look, it's painfully obvious. My other complaint is that the markings are exactly where people I've performed for would look as they examine a deck for markings. However, as I like to say with marked decks, if you're using them, the audience should never have a reason to believe that you're working with a marked deck.

My other advice is that if you're going to use the Series 1800 deck in performance, try to snag a few of the original unmarked V1 decks so that if the spectator insists on examining the cards, you have an unmarked identical version to switch out just in case.
Whelp, turns out mine aren't marked after all. Sorry about that guys!

Dec 31, 2015
Whelp, turns out mine aren't marked after all. Sorry about that guys!

Don't worry about it. Now you know the details and have some advice if you do decide to buy the marked version. Also, that makes it even better in my opinion since you have a V1 Series 1800 deck (you have something to switch out for the marked V2 if the spectator wants to examine the deck).

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey

Spectators should never insist on examining your deck. That means you are presenting magic as a puzzle or challenge. Design your effect so that there is no reason to suspect the deck. Any effects where you use a marked deck should be done in a manner that raises no suspicion about the deck.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results