Why Card Magic?

Jan 14, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Card magic is easy in the sense that it is accessible and familiar to everyone. If I (in a general sense) tried to specialize into more general magic with more props, it's more likely the audience believes the props are gimmicked in someway, diminishing the magic of it. However, cards and coins seem to have a sort of innocence surrounding them: everyone has access to a deck of cards or some quarters and so the audience is less inclined to believe you have some trick up your sleeve. Sponge balls, cup and balls, rope all have a connotation of being specifically for magicians while a deck of cards is more relatable to the everyday layman. A lot of people don't know about the existence of gaff cards, knowledge on duplicates, etc., because cards are so common throughout our everyday lives that we all just assume that every deck of cards we see is normal, like a standard deck of Bicycle playing cards. If I tried to perform magic with other things that weren't cards as well, I wouldn't be able to perform as many effects. The versatility of card magic means I can learn a plethora of effects without having to invest in too many props: I spent the first two years of my magic experience with one incomplete deck of Bicycle playing cards and a few YouTube tutorials, books, and online instructional videos before I finally bought an actual deck and some other things to progress in magic.

Tl;dr-cards are relatable, easy to access, and versatile in magic.

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
I don't think card magic is the "easy road".. there are magicians who do card magic and they are missing fingers. Yet they still do it successfully.
There are others who suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome yet Still focus on card magic.

The "easy road" is a narrow minded response.

Zeede

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2018
You can get started with an investment of just a few dollars. Try starting out in any other hobby, whether it be target shooting, golf or any other sport and your investment is easily in the $100's just in footwear and gear.

Additionally, there's virtually limitless variations of card magic you can perform with that one deck of Bicycle Rider backs, as opposed to buying one of the many fine magic tricks sold here, where you get a really good effect, but just the one.

Reactions: Tricky Fingers
@CWhite , I don't think you understand what @ChristopherT was saying.

Labeling card magic as taking the "easy road" may be a bit of a simplification, but it's not narrow minded. Your examples of missing fingers and carpal tunnel only demonstrate that a disabled individual is at a disadvantage, not that card magic is inherently difficult. It's like saying a man missing a leg has a hard time swimming without acknowledging that he also, probably, has a hard time walking. Coin sleights or billiard ball manipulations would be equally difficult.

Reactions: JoelZ1

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Card magichas THE most utility to it. Because of how many cards and their pliability, there's a metric ton of information out there on what to do with 52 cards to fit most any performance.

Things like coins are harder to use. Between coins not being bendy, having to account or cover for sound (if using multiple coins), not as many resources, and coin magic being harder to practice and utilize.

Most other magic "mediums" are like the latter. I'm trying to venture into linking rings, and there is a surpringly small amount of information out there for it.

As far as how relatable cards, coins, etc are. I think in this day and age where magic is super popular. Decks and coins have gone from common items used for games at parties and coins (honestly, who uses half-dollars and silver dollars?) to being more commonly associated with magic. I think a lot of the items that have been once touted as "innocent" are sort of out in the open and people will associate "decks of cards = magic" instead of "deck of cards = household games".

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
It's the easy road (unless you want to specialize in knuckle-busting sleight of hand).

Or to put it in economic terms, there are not significant barriers to entry in terms of the cost of props and the availability of knowledge.

I'm trying to venture into linking rings, and there is a surpringly small amount of information out there for it.

Pete Biro’s book The Real Secrets of the Chinese Linking Rings has a ton of material. Levant’s DVD set also is amazing. Otherwise, you are right, you have to cull through a lot of sources each of which have a single routine and a couple of sleights.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Or to put it in economic terms, there are not significant barriers to entry in terms of the cost of props and the availability of knowledge.

Oh sure, be the nice one.

I'm trying to venture into linking rings, and there is a surpringly small amount of information out there for it.

Not sure if it interests you but I think Messado's routine (and therefore his video) is one of the best out there. Some of the moves will translate to 8 inch rings, but it does take some tweaking.

Sep 29, 2018
How come card magic seems to be more popular with magicians? It seems that there are so many magicians, who only or mainly do card magic. Why is this?
It's easy.

It makes sense to do it as a magician.

It doesn't feel out of the place.

You can show off your skill with a deck, be it a super clean riffle shuffle with a cascade OR some high end cardistry cut.

It's everywhere.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results