How does Richard Turner identity cards? / (when someone else shuffles)

Jan 18, 2020
Hello i have just started learning how to do magic and the other day i watched richard turner and he said that he was a card mechanic not a magician so i don't know if im supposed to post this question here but i thought this was the best place..

so my question is how does he know where the cards are when someone else shuffles the card? i read that he feels the cards but how can he do that when he doesn't get the chance to i mean the cards are face down and i think it would take him some time to feel every single card.. sorry if im wrong but im new and im trying to understand how he does it

if there is any book talk about this i would really appreciate it if you can name it i would really love to try and learn it. If this is some sort of secret that no one knows or if it is something that he sells on his dvd i would also love to know :)

thank u, have a good day :)

Nov 3, 2018
Hi Mazen, welcome to the Forums! I think you'll find them extremely helpful if you have any questions concerning cards, coins, presentation or anything else related to magic, so yes, you've come to the right place.

Richard Turner is an amazing magician (he's actually who got me into magic). Yes, magician: As his specialty are cheating techniques, he prefers to call himself a mechanic, but he uses those techniques to achieve magic effects.

Concerning his secret, it's just that: a secret. I'm not aware of him ever publicly teaching this almost superhuman ability, so it wouldn't be right for any of us to expose it. He himself states only that his incredible sense of touch lets him perform this feat.
If you delve deeper into gambling techniques, you'll find bits and pieces that will help you figure out some of the things he does. That is if my information is correct -- which I'm not 100% certain about! :)

Even though I didn't really answer your question, I hope I could help you a little bit.
A good day to you, too!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
The answer is, he doesn't talk about it. Erik Tait over at Penguin asked him specifically about several methods when Turner lectured. Turner quickly changed the subject each time. This seems to be one of those things he'd rather keep a secret.

Reactions: _.mazen_._

willtupper

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2009
I don't think he's actually blind.

He and Stevie Wonder are both running some of the longest cons in history :p.

Truthfully, though: I've no idea. It is stunning though. And such a wonderful example of all that is actually possible.

Reactions: Seth Hughes
Jan 18, 2020
Hi Mazen, welcome to the Forums! I think you'll find them extremely helpful if you have any questions concerning cards, coins, presentation or anything else related to magic, so yes, you've come to the right place.

Richard Turner is an amazing magician (he's actually who got me into magic). Yes, magician: As his specialty are cheating techniques, he prefers to call himself a mechanic, but he uses those techniques to achieve magic effects.

Concerning his secret, it's just that: a secret. I'm not aware of him ever publicly teaching this almost superhuman ability, so it wouldn't be right for any of us to expose it. He himself states only that his incredible sense of touch lets him perform this feat.
If you delve deeper into gambling techniques, you'll find bits and pieces that will help you figure out some of the things he does. That is if my information is correct -- which I'm not 100% certain about! :)

Even though I didn't really answer your question, I hope I could help you a little bit.
A good day to you, too!
Thank you so much! at the end it is magician secret i guess d:

byronblaq

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
One can make some assumptions of the techniques he’s using. Most are out there to learn but you’d need to know what you’re looking for.

I have seen him do things that floor me though. It’s a good feeling and in Turners case, I’m happy with that.

BB

Nov 3, 2018
The answer is, he doesn't talk about it. Erik Tait over at Penguin asked him specifically about several methods when Turner lectured. Turner quickly changed the subject each time. This seems to be one of those things he'd rather keep a secret.
There are people who have recognized (or claimed to have recognized) the technique he uses. The theory makes sense, but still you have to marvel at how well he executes it.

I have seen him do things that floor me though. It’s a good feeling and in Turners case, I’m happy with that.
Definitely. He does things you wouldn't believe are possible, and I can only assume that it would be even more incredible if we knew exactly how he did it.

Seth Hughes

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2018
VA
Of course I don’t know exactly how he does it but in the Tarbell course in magic there is a routine that involves marking a card using bumps. kind of like braille on the back of each card. I would look into that.

Nov 3, 2018
What you're talking about sounds a lot like the Walter Scott Punch Deal. Legend has it that Walter Irving Scott, a cheat, was meeting with the greatest New Yorker card men of the era (1930) and was able to fool them all by dealing himself a great poker hand from a deck another magician had shuffled, all while wearing a blindfold. As you said, he had "pegged" the cards, and when he came to one of the cards marked in this way he dealt seconds to everybody else.

I'm sure Mr Turner would do the Punch Deal wonderfully due to his incredible sense of touch and his suberb second deals, but he can't do all he does in this way.

For anybody interested in Walter Scott and/or the Punch Deal, you can check out Phantom of the Card Table, Phantoms of the Card Table or several threads devoted to these topics at the Gambling Spot over at the Magic Café.

Jan 2, 2016
California
It's probably not true but personally I like to believe he can feel the ink on the cards like a real life Daredevil. He hasn't said anything otherwise so I'm sticking with my ridiculous explanation.

Jan 18, 2020
One can make some assumptions of the techniques he’s using. Most are out there to learn but you’d need to know what you’re looking for.

BB
so how can i know what im looking for ? :D do you have any recommended books ?

Reactions: byronblaq
Nov 3, 2018
If you're interested in gambling techniques (or techniques that originated at the gambling table), chances are you'll come across It sooner or later, or stumble upon a remark putting things into context.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results