Which deck should I pick as my next every day carry?

Which Deck?

• Total voters
Jan 2, 2016
California
Hello everyone!

I just realized that I'm down to my last few decks of Bicycle Elites, which have been my every day carry deck for the past couple years.

Normally, I'd just order a new deck but for whatever reason, I've been considering getting a brick of Phoenixes instead. I have owned several Phoenix decks and I really like them. I've considered switching to them on a handful of occasions but never really did.

I've listed out the pros and cons to help me decide.

Elites
ProsCons
Cheaper ($4 per deck, $40 for a brick)Two different people in the group that I jam with ordered bricks of Blue Bicycle Elites and it gets confusing when we're all using the same deck. I refuse to use red decks.
Printed on Penguin's super thin "Elite" Stock and feel great out of the box.The cards Wear out quickly due to thin stock
Familiar Back DesignThe Marked Elite decks are printed on Maiden backs and thus don't match the standard Bikes. This isn't a huge deal as they're very similar I just thought it was worth pointing out.
The box is inspired by the classic Bicycle box design rather than the newer ones you'd see in most stores.You can often find very poorly cut decks, similar to a standard deck of Bikes you'd get at most stores. This is another minor issue I understand that they do this to keep the costs of the deck down but I thought it's worth mentioning.
Duplicate Jokers
Blank Card
Double Backer
Most gaffs and gimmicks that I use and that are on the market use Bicycle backs
Traditionally Cut

Phoenix
ProsCons
A thicker stock means they're more durable and, from my experience, tend to last longerTake a long time to break in
Box is inspired by the classic Bicycle boxesSlightly more expensive ($5 per deck, $42 for a brick)
Near duplicate jokers (For sandwich tricks, the Phoenixes will either face their card or face away from it which is a near visual)Unfamiliar back design
Blank CardNo Double Backer
There are some great and unique gaffs for this deck such as the double decker deck and the PRISM deck, the latter of which I own.There are far fewer gaffs and gimmicks available for this deck.
Larger Aces means that they stand out more in tricks involving these cardsThe large aces might make certain moves more obvious such as during a face up Elmsley count.
The marked deck looks nearly identical to the standard deck.
Includes several useful secret features such as a subtle OW design, a crib for both mn******* and ar****, and a third secret feature of the 10th anniversary edition that I don't think I'm allowed to elaborate on
I won't get my cards confused with anyone else in my group.
Traditionally Cut
The cut is more consistent and centered from my experience.

I know it's ultimately up to me and that this is a really minor issue that has absolutely no bearing on anyone's lives but my own. I know I could also easily get a brick of normal Bikes at Costco for like $12 but I like being picky and getting specialized decks lol.

Let me know what you think and why!

Thanks guys!

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
I've tried both of these decks in the past and ultimately it is your decision. However, I would go with the Phoenix deck because the Elites were a little too thin for my taste. Plus you want to switch it up every now and then ... Same decks get boring after a while at least for me. Like I like to alternate between Bee's and Bikes.... When the bees get to the point where they are about to give me a seizure I switch over to the bikes. Cheers.

Jan 2, 2016
California
I've tried both of these decks in the past and ultimately it is your decision. However, I would go with the Phoenix deck because the Elites were a little too thin for my taste. Plus you want to switch it up every now and then ... Same decks get boring after a while at least for me. Like I like to alternate between Bee's and Bikes.... When the bees get to the point where they are about to give me a seizure I switch over to the bikes. Cheers.
Thanks for the input!

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
I think switching up between decks every now and then is good too. Honestly after stewing on it for a bit I think I would change my vote to try the Phoenix for a bit. Originally I was thinking having the same cards as others has opportunities for shenanigans with a borrowed deck but you don’t need to buy a brick for that! Plus it looks like you have unused (underused?)stuff in a drawer for the Phoenix deck.

Jan 2, 2016
California
I think switching up between decks every now and then is good too. Honestly after stewing on it for a bit I think I would change my vote to try the Phoenix for a bit. Originally I was thinking having the same cards as others has opportunities for shenanigans with a borrowed deck but you don’t need to buy a brick for that! Plus it looks like you have unused (underused?)stuff in a drawer for the Phoenix deck.
Yup! I have Hit by Luke Jermay which uses Phoenix backs and a PRISM deck which is designed to be used with a Phoenix deck. It can be used with Bikes but I don't have 4 different colored bicycle decks to steal the aces from.

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
The decks of Phoenix cards I have are not traditionally cut. I believe they were when they first made them, but then they switched. As far as I know they have not switched back. Having said that, regular Bikes (at least the ones I get from T11 or Vanishing Inc.)seem to have switched to traditional cut themselves a few years ago, so now I use them. I think they're just messing with me.

Jan 2, 2016
California
The decks of Phoenix cards I have are not traditionally cut. I believe they were when they first made them, but then they switched. As far as I know they have not switched back. Having said that, regular Bikes (at least the ones I get from T11 or Vanishing Inc.)seem to have switched to traditional cut themselves a few years ago, so now I use them. I think they're just messing with me.
The website says "punched through the backs"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results