Cerca Trova Ideas

Aug 31, 2007
California
Maybe something theory11 specific? for example, an in depth discussion on the 1on1 concept and how it's a revolutionary way to learn magic...or theories on the wire, and maybe some insight as to where that's headed. upcoming tricks, products, etc etc

Sep 1, 2007
I think a good topic could self-doubt, and how to over-come it. I get it all the time, and I don't know what to do about it. I'm just sitting there with my deck, thinking to myself, am i any good? There are some many people who are better than me. I don't have that much talent.

Perhaps on modern magic vs past magic? How people are taking magic these days. How people are expecting magic to go along, what type of people or things are being influenced. For example, your everyday magic website vs Houdini. What are some things people are expecting magic to go to, go this way or that.

Since we have a few female members on here now, Katie, Ashley and BabyCat (Kate) we should discuss the issues between gender and magic. Why it seems to be dominated by us men and the women are left in the shadows. And ways in which we can break those bonds, and make it so more female magicians actually pick up an interest in magic today.

I found an awesome article on BunnyBoyCollective.com in the Dynasty section (their forums) called The Invisible Elephant, check it out.

-RA69

One of my BIG things about being indulged in this art, is practicing.

We should start a thread about practicing, and how to do it effectively. If you practice something for 10 hours, but do it wrong, it'll leave you in a huge pickle. Yeah, the Kosher kind.

Lots of people (I used to be one of them) learn a trick, practice it for a little bit and say, "I got this." Then they screw it all up in front of everyone. A perfect example is those kids on YouTube.

This thread should help a lot. As a fellow trumpet player, I know practice makes perfect, but only if you do it right.

Thanks guys. ;D

Oct 6, 2007
Magicians ignoring exposure and only taking action when it comes to them. I see magicians cry about exposure all the time yet I see hundreds if not thousands magic exposure sites which can be easily shut down by a report. Take action on exposure ignoing it is just as bad.. :p

Dec 5, 2007
self-doubt would be a good topic and how to overcome it. I see people posting everywhere things like, Oh i can never pull that of, oh thats to obvious i could never do that and still alot of professional magicians do them all the time.

I agree we can discuss showmanship and overcoming self-doubt. I would also like to see a topic on nothing but technique here and people offering real help to others. I'm also interested in Mitchells idea on discussing the youth and their impact on magic today.

Sep 1, 2007
I'd like to discuss practice. Not necessarily just the importance of practice, but the practice itself. How does one practice, how many tricks, for how long, how frequently, if one does warm-ups, practice speech, etc. I want to get really specific.

Do you start by doing some finger streches, followed by complex one-handed cuts in each hand, then move onto each routine and do each trick ten times, do a hundred bottom-deals, hold 26-card backpalms for five minutes each, practice speech and voice in the mirror, do a couple push-ups to keep healthy, then warm down with some fans and spreads and card throwing?

Do you turn on Seinfeld and stare at the TV for six hours with a deck in your hands?

That's my idea.

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
How about a topic that revolves around magic supplies and the people who use them. Us. I think that it's somewhat important to everyone here, including me, to have a better understanding of themselves as a person and entertainer.

Are we letting the cards that we handle hinder our ability to be original? How about the patter that we use just because that's how it was taught on the DVD or in the book.

We should also hit on the topic of our own personal goals when it comes to our magic "life". Do we want to make this a career, or do we just do it for our personal pleasure and the pleasure of those we perform for?

If I think of anything else, I'll edit this post.

Keep on rockin'.

Shane K.

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
The dichotomy of fellowship and competition in magic. While we're a close group that feels great kinship, we're also all competitors. We all have our own balance between these two ends of the scale, and our own ways of dealing with it.

Sep 15, 2007
i like the idea od discussing practice, showmanship and that weird little thing that happens that is not quite stage fright but that nervousness that can happen when you perform for certain people be they strangers or friends.

I also like the idea of discussing the gender thing in magic because as of late I have seen some awesome ladies out there that are doing amazing magic.
Ladies have been involved in magic for quite some time .....they have never been too prominenet though.
Snorri

Sep 4, 2007
my suggestion is having a topic on developing personal style to magic effects. we often buy a dvd based on the performance we saw. upon getting the dvd and watching we often perform the effect the same way it was taught and demonstrated.

another topic is: what inspires you to be a performer and a creator of magical effects. while we all sit in awe at the plethora of "new" magic that has come out the past couple years, we all at one time have said 'why didnt i think of that?' or 'why cant i come up with the next great trick?'

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results