J.J. Abrams on Magic & Mystery

Sep 1, 2007
I had no idea Mr. Abrams like magic, thats so cool. I always wanted to meet him, I live in hawaii (where they film lost) so maybe I will. Then I could show him a trick :)

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Cool. That's what I like about mystery. You have the power to make what's inside the box whatever you want it to be.
Very cool speech.

I, too, am an Apple guy.

Lost is a great show. Where can I buy one of those boxes?

Oh and is Jonathan Bayme the same guy that does the video for Superman coin bend trick on E? Nice trick but it only works on US pennies and dimes. Could be retooled to work on bigger coins though.

I've only been interested in the phenomena which is J.J. Abrams recently. Cloverfield has literally sparked my interest like no other movie has.

His work on Alias was amazing, I use to watch that show on a consistent basis. I've never gotten into Lost but, I hear it is simply amazing.

He is a funny, intellectual and overall great guy, thanks for posting this, and if you haven't seen it already, go watch it now, and visit the Cloverfield Website ;).

-RA69

Sep 2, 2007
It's not everyday that we get to hear stories of how a creative artist, guru, and savant innovates, pushing the boundary of his art.

It's great to get a glimpse of his creation process, how things have evolved with technology, but how, for him, everything is still like a mystery box, filled with endless possible magic, which he bought as a child and where he finds his inspiration.

While he's focusing on his art -- movies and television shows -- it's very much applicable to magic (and everyday life). Definately worth watching the entirety of 18 minutes 2 seconds and 66 picoseconds -- not that I was counting. ;)

Cheers,
JTM

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
Wow.

When I first logged onto to Theory11 today that was literally the first thing I did. Normally, I get on and check the forums, but this time I checked out the video.

I must agree, that was very inspirational. Being able to get insight like that from somebody like him is always nice. I had no idea who the guy was until I started seeing Cloverfield commercials on television, but from what I can tell...he seems to be a pretty cool guy.

Shane

D

Deleted member 2755

For a few weeks now one of my friends has been speaking of nothing but Cloverfield which does look rather awesome.

However, this guy is indeed very inspirational. I can only hope to be half the man he is when I grow up.

Never give up on your dreams. I know I wont. :)

-Doug

When I first logged onto to Theory11 today that was literally the first thing I did. Normally, I get on and check the forums, but this time I checked out the video.

Exactly the same story goes for me too. That was a beautiful presentation! It was great to hear how his career started out. Just think; if his Grandfather had not done such things for J.J. as a child, we may not see the amazing content we (in a lot of cases) take for granted these days.

Jordan

Erik

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Sweden
www.virtualerik.com
Lost is my favorite TV show ever, and I've been interested in J.J. Abrams since I saw some behind the scenes stuff from Season 1.

It's not surprising that he has a magic background, considering the atmosphere he manages to create in his productions.

Interesting speech, thanks.

-Erik

Aug 31, 2007
You can see James Randi in the audience... :D

Electric John: Yes, this Jonathan Bayme is that Jonathan Bayme in the Superman Coin Bend video.

I liked the presentation, by the way. I am gonna listen to it a few more times to really understand it fully.

- harapan. magic!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results