A 5 Minute routine

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
Hey guys, I've got an assignment which calls for me doing a 5 minute routine infront of a group of about 20ish people in a classroom setting with everyone sitting down.

As of now I can think of two things to do that are incredibly visual and that can be seen by everyone. Angle zero and the moving pips (as a wrong prediction).

Any ideas that'll include everyone or be able to be seen by everyone?

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
hmm, i do the ACR alot (like any other magician)
love the whole Brian Tudors Heckler routine,
a ton of sandwhiches, 21 blows to the head by sankey, alot of ellusionist stuff, all the card stuff from t11, luke jermays skullduggery, derren browns devils picturebook, basically loads of stuff.
but alot of it is very close up style,which is, being performed to around 5-10 people?
so im looking for something that can be performed for that 20 people that communicates and gets the same reactions as an ACR does for 5 people.
probably need it by next week

Sep 1, 2007
How about "5 Speed"..!!!

Just make them select a card do some sick cuts or flourishes and then the performance...

or.. do the Time machine effect..

Hope it helps... :D :D :D :D

I once had to do one of these things when I was in the 7th grade. I would say maybe do something not involving cards- like equal and uneaqual ropes. People sometimes get bored having to pick a card over and over. I don't know. Since it's just a 5 minute routine maybe just cards will be fine. Maybe you could do the sympathetic coins (also called coin matrix) because it involves cards too.

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
People sometimes get bored having to pick a card over and over.

true. i thought about that.
but i dont do ropes!
coins maybe, but theyre small (which poses a problem)
maybe DG's only four or sh4de. but then again its hard to be seen by the entire classroom. maybe i should hook up a visualizer haha.

Jul 8, 2008
Aldo Colombini's firework and an acr. that should kill about 5 mins. matrix might not be a good idea since you have to do it on a desk and everyone else is sitting down, they might not be able to see the coins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 8, 2008
the ending he does in that video isnt that great. if you get the dvd he teaches a bonus ending effect which is flashier.

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
clutch by oz pearls.

i really really want to get clutch, but i dont think it plays as well with laymen as it does with magicians.
either way, i think its an effect worth checking out but not really for performing in the routine.
anyway, if anyone DOES have clutch do write a review on it. cheers.

PTG

Jun 15, 2008
In a cave.
Paul Greens Classic Force DVD has the technique on it under the Insurance Policy routine, so if you want more for your money, then I'd go with that.

Oh and a great quick opener that I like to use is "Crossed" and it can be found in David Stones Real Secrets of Magic Volume 1.I didn't orignally learn it from there, but it is the only place that I can remember seeing it (other than in live performances). You can use this as a sucker trick where everybody but your one 'victim' knows how it works, or you can use it to impress everybody, it's pretty sweet.

Hope this helps,

-PTG

It's a week away. You're beyond the point of buying new material to put into a routine.

What can you do that makes sense? Keep the prop the same. Card magic for 5 minutes should not get boring.

Do you have any 4 of a kind production you can do?

If you're good at selection routines, plan which ones you'll do first. Say you decide you'll do 3 effects. One could be angle zero, if that's what you want. Pick two more.

Have the first two people select cards and remove them in one selection procedure. Then let the class call stop for the selection of the card you'll use for angle zero. Place this card under the card case and come back to it at the end.

Take the first card back, do an effect. Repeat for the second.

Finish with the corner vanishing and reappearing in the teacher's apple. Or whatever.

And scene.

Pj

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
It's a week away. You're beyond the point of buying new material to put into a routine.

true, but some material is pretty easy to pick up in a week of practice. (yes i know, new routines need to be perfected before showing anyone so on and so forth...)

but anyway, the suggestion about having two cards selected first, its a good idea but to me its a little shifty i guess. Will look into it though. thanks

but anyway, the suggestion about having two cards selected first, its a good idea but to me its a little shifty i guess. Will look into it though. thanks

Shifty?

I'm saying have them take the cards in one procedure rather than picking a card, doing a trick, pick another card, doing another trick.

Having all selections made at the beginning tells the audience that you know where this is all going, and they will appreciate that. That's what I was getting at.

Still shifty?

Pj

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
aight, wrong word, i meant strange.
well to me it is.
but yes, i can see what youre getting at. smoothens the flow of the performance. Thanks for the insight. usually i dont routine, i decide what im going to do five seconds before i do it, haha.

oh, and i cant really end off with angle zero if i routine it that way. if youve got two or dangerous you'd know why.
cheers

Toad

Banned
May 28, 2008
clutch is impromptu, easy, and clean. it took me a day to pretty much get it down comfortably.

there, thats my review.

oh, and i cant really end off with angle zero if i routine it that way. if youve got two or dangerous you'd know why.
cheers

Of course you can. That's why you place the card partially under the box you happened to have laying in full view.

Think ahead. Put things out that you seem to choose in the moment but which are actually there to serve your purpose.

Then pick the card up by one corner (wink) and away you go.

Pj

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results