I am looking for a new effect - Please help me out.

Aug 18, 2008
I recently came into a bit of money from my last show, and being a dedicated magician have decided to poor most of it back into magic.

I was set on purchasing tattoo joe from ellusionist (cringe) but after noticing a few things in the demo video I have decided against it.

I really would like to purchase a few new hard hitting tricks, but most reviews are pretty bad and would like some imput.

So what are some tricks you would recommend and why.

My preferences are in cards and coins but I am open to new ideas.

May 24, 2008
I really like silver dream, not as a routine, but the stuff that is taught on that dvd. To me silver dream is just another 3 coin routine, but the moves taught in it are very useful, and you get a different perspective on the retention vanish. It really opened my mind up to new ideas in coin magic, plus each individual vanish is really good for using either in silver dream, or in your own routines. Oh, and the sleeving is beast.

Sep 1, 2007
Houston TX
watch the david blaine special right now

i know there will be some good tricks you can emulate

if not i hope it can give you some creative ideas.

One word...... "Diplopia" THE most amazing mentalism card trick EVER in my opinion. With a normal deck, You think of a card and so does the spectator. You find the card they thought of and they find yours!!!!!! Also from the same guy, his name is Paul igil by the way, is Sympathy for the devil, Icon, and He was part of the group that created Ladybug. Which won trick of the year. Anthing from him will kill. As long as you don't alter anything. Trust me, you cannot make his tricks better! If that doesn't work, you can buy one of my tricks!!!!!! I need gas money really bad!!!!!!

Sep 1, 2007
England
Why is everyone suggesting single tricks, with a few notable exceptions almost none of them are worth the money.

I would go for a book myself with lots of material for you to look through or at least a DVD with multiple tricks. Bill Malone 'On The Loose' for example is a fantastic series and I would be amazed if there was not at least one thing on there that you wanted to try out, some really awesome magic. Incidentally his follow up set 'Here I go Again' was not nearly as good, but probably worth checking out.

But books is where it's at in terms of the money spent to material received ratio. If you haven't already got AoA defitely pick up those, though I reckon it's quite likely you do, so I will also recommed 'The Complete Walton' by Roy Walton. It's not a gripping read, it can be a little tedious at times, but the magic is awesome and if you take the time to learn it you will discover many many unique plots and ideas in these two books.

Another book that I am really enjoying at the moment is 'The Secrets of Brother John Hamman'. If you want some really good card magic using some incredibly unique methods then this is certainly for you, definitely worth the read.

I also kinda don't want to tell anyone about these, but Paul Cummins' FASDIU lecture notes are also excellent and well worth a read.

So yeah, don't spend $30+ on a single trick only to risk not liking it. Pay maybe $40 and get a book or DVD of lots of tricks as it is highly unlikely that you will not really like at least a few of them.

Whatever you choose, best of luck in your endeavours.

Tom

Aug 18, 2008
Why is everyone suggesting single tricks, with a few notable exceptions almost none of them are worth the money.

I would go for a book myself with lots of material for you to look through or at least a DVD with multiple tricks. Bill Malone 'On The Loose' for example is a fantastic series and I would be amazed if there was not at least one thing on there that you wanted to try out, some really awesome magic. Incidentally his follow up set 'Here I go Again' was not nearly as good, but probably worth checking out.

But books is where it's at in terms of the money spent to material received ratio. If you haven't already got AoA defitely pick up those, though I reckon it's quite likely you do, so I will also recommed 'The Complete Walton' by Roy Walton. It's not a gripping read, it can be a little tedious at times, but the magic is awesome and if you take the time to learn it you will discover many many unique plots and ideas in these two books.

Another book that I am really enjoying at the moment is 'The Secrets of Brother John Hamman'. If you want some really good card magic using some incredibly unique methods then this is certainly for you, definitely worth the read.

I also kinda don't want to tell anyone about these, but Paul Cummins' FASDIU lecture notes are also excellent and well worth a read.

So yeah, don't spend $30+ on a single trick only to risk not liking it. Pay maybe $40 and get a book or DVD of lots of tricks as it is highly unlikely that you will not really like at least a few of them.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I really appreicte the feedback, and I will defiantely be looking up a few of those books.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California

Tom

Quoted for truth.

-Ben

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I second 'Hit the road'. Truly wonderful DVD. Loads of material, and funny to boot!

Of course, if you're after something a little different, you could try magic with ice... I hear a booklets being released very soon which deals with just that...

CL

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I always would suggest Greg Wilson's On the Spot dvd. It's packed with impromptu material that is not that difficult, and really kills. Lots of stuff you can do at a moments notice. You are always ready to perform. He also teaches a decent watch steal.

j

I second Bill Malones "On The Loose!" and "On The Spot" Both are incredible dvds. I own Derren Browns book "Tricks Of The Mind" and it changed so much of what I do. The book is exspensive but worth it. I agree something with multiple effects is always a great way to go, but I highly recommend Diplopia. Go to Paul Vigil's web site, www.paulvigil.com and see what everyone says about him. Theres a few videos of him on youtube as well. He really is original with his tricks. The stuff he does live is even more amazing. You would swear he has special powers. I just remembered another really great book!!!!!! Expert card technique by hugard and braure! Best book ever written by far!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results