Please critically review my website.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
Take "font-style: italics;" off of the post titles.

Also, the ~ could be removed/changed to something else.

Get a new picture, one that shows your whole face. The picture you have there is perfect except for the fact that the cards are covering the lower portion of your head. Clients will want to see a good picture of yourself.

I don't see a need for the "Steven Levitt" image at the bottom of your right navigational bar.

Move the "subscribe to news feed (RSS 2.0)" link and image to the bottom of your webpage, in the same div as the copyright.

Just a personal opinion - have the comments link load in a new, pre-sized window. You can use Javascript to do that very easily.

===

That's what I would do to change your site.

You don't need money to edit these things - I'd be more than happy to do it for free with no required linkback of any kind.

Sep 1, 2007
I really like the color scheme. A lot of magicians these days are going for grungy dark themes. Yours is classy and elegant. I like that. I'm less enthusiastic about the masthead. Could be better--it doesn't quite live up to the rest of the design. I like the suits lining the sides, but I feel that you could do something more interesting with them, perhaps something similar to the Massa design?

The only other thing I would say is that you should add more photographs. Lots more. Give people something to look at.

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
make your header banner ("steven levitt making magic magical")'s color fade into the pale reddish that is next to it, for a smoother feel to the color scheme, good website!

kevin

Sep 2, 2007
I don;t tlike the border. reminds me of youtube. in my opinion is would look more prioffesional to have the site take up the whole screen, instead of just a bit with the card suits in the backround

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Get a new picture, one that shows your whole face. The picture you have there is perfect except for the fact that the cards are covering the lower portion of your head. Clients will want to see a good picture of yourself.

I'd have to agree on this. You look a tad shocked in the picture, too.

I don't see a need for the "Steven Levitt" image at the bottom of your right navigational bar.

That's for asthetics, and I think it fills the space nicely.

Move the "subscribe to news feed (RSS 2.0)" link and image to the bottom of your webpage, in the same div as the copyright.

Keep the newsfeed sub at the top, so people know they can subscribe right away when they see the page. In the event they do not scroll down, they will never know it exists.

Just a personal opinion - have the comments link load in a new, pre-sized window. You can use Javascript to do that very easily.

Avoid this, as pop up blockers can prevent them from opening.

In general it's a pretty nice site. Gets the point across and you can easily find what you are looking for.

-ThrallMind

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
ThrallMind, there are ways to get around popup blockers rather easily - besides, most of the common, standard blockers won't block a link that you click on to open up a new window. (i.e. <a href="http://www.google.com/" target="_blank" alt="">google</a>)

EDIT:

Steven, I would also add a greater margin between news posts. try something like margin: 0 0 15px 0;

Sep 3, 2007
I like it.

Except your slogan is kinda generic and not really specific to you. I don't know if you can change this, but I think you should.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results