Pressure

Jan 28, 2009
I completely disagree. Your right that it's not the greatest effect since sliced bread, but I think your wrong on many other fronts. First off the price. Check out Ellusionist before you complain about that. Then you may come back saying "You could get a DVD with a bunch of tricks on it for the same price". True. But this is a signature effect, not one you toss into a DVD with other random tricks. And I disagree with the replication as well. With correct performance you should have a presence that represents power, control, and magic. Your spectator shouldn't want to try and replicate what you just did, and chances are even if they tried that couldn't do it right. If you don't leave holes in your performance, you can turn a double lift into the best card routine on the planet. As far as not leaving a "Real Magic" impression, I disagree again. This IS real magic. Taking something that is in a spectator's world everyday, and taking it to an extraordinary level, and you say it's not magic? Performance, patter, and attitude is key when performing magic, and in my opinion, if this is how you feel, I don't even know that you've given pressure a fair chance. You can completely disagree with me, but I know that this effect is powerful. Oh, and as far as the cleanup leaving discrepancy, honestly, 99% of spectators are going to think the trick is over, and if you don't leave holes in your routine, and constantly keep them focused on what your doing at the right times, they won't even notice. The wetness could have just as easily run out from the hole in the balloon you bit out, or even from your mouth when you bit it. That's my two cents.

I'll summarize what was a hugely long post that I just wrote and then lost.

A good effect should support a performance, not hinder it. This effect is both obvious and you end filthy, and has an equally obvious clean up. It forces you to perform amazingly well to cover huge flaws in the trick, to the extent that even when Danny G performed it, I knew what he was doing from end to end, and that was on an edited teaser.

It doen't withstand long term thought. Anyone who thinks about the trick for a while will be like....I bet its that. Even if they only guess the first part you're busted. I like magic that they can think about for weeks and still never get any closer to the method. That's not true of this effect.

If you think its worth 25 bucks adn is amazing, then go right ahead, but I don't post because I'm concerned about my performance. I performed it, I got good reactions and I've not been rumbled, but I still think its a fricking weak assed trick, and there are a lot of people who have been marketed into buying it that won't be able to perform it, because its not as it was billed. I post my opinion so people can make a real and informed choice about whether or not to spank 20 bucks on an effect like this, with huge flaws in it. Sure it can be covered by master level performances, but the truth is, there are inherent flaws to the method.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say for sure without seeing you perform it, but considering this trick only came out 3 days ago and you're performing it less than 72 hours after it was released I assume you ARE doing it wrong. You should definitely put in at least a good week or two of practice before performing any effect no matter how easy it is. You haven't had enough time to make sure that you're flawless when using the techniques DG taught and that your presentation mirrors your patter. This is easily corrected, just stop performing for real people, and give it another week's practice and you should be good. I know it's hard to hold out on a new trick that you just learned, but you have to have patience in magic.

Zack

This thread probably should have stopped after this ↑ post. Just wondering why everyone ignored it... :confused:

Jan 28, 2009
Because the discussion now is irrelevent to performance issues and regarding the nature of the trick itself, and so I see no reason for the thread to stop.

Mar 26, 2009
See, this is the problem I'm having. After I deflate it and the phone is in the balloon, yeah people think it's over, BUT they automatically want to take it from me.
I had at least 4 people today almost just snatch it out of my hand.

you have to learn how to manage your audience better say something like "i know its your phone and you can't live without it for these two seconds but look its actually in the balloon" and do the move

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results