Color Changes

Sep 3, 2007
It drives me up the wall that everyone thinks that being a magician is good enough to carry everything else. The attitude that you don't have to develop some simple competence at handling a camera or editing video or getting decent audio, because, hey! You're a magician! That's ****ing good enough! Who needs new media-relevant skill sets when you can do card tricks?!

What about those who do card tricks and focus on other things besides media-competency? I'm sure that just because you do magic you don't have to be a master camera man. And please, I am a programmer. I don't expect everyone who does card tricks to write me a new program.

Sep 1, 2007
And please, I am a programmer. I don't expect everyone who does card tricks to write me a new program.

What?!

I'm not asking for the next Haskell Wexler. I'm just saying that if you're going to produce videos of yourself performing magic as often as Lamont does, at least learn how to frame a shot and get some basic editing skills under your belt. It's not that hard!

Why is that so unreasonable? Why am I so out of line in asking someone who is filming their magic to learn just enough about their camera to properly frame a shot and just enough about editing to put a sequence together in a pleasing way? Why am I asking too much when I express me desire for videos that don't look like they were filmed by a monkey trying to copulate with the camera?

Maybe I'm asking too much. Asking magicians to respect a craft other than their own. While I'm at it, maybe I can also ask the unicorn king to come down from Planet Hershey's Chocolate and give me a car made of solid gold that runs on friendship.

Sep 1, 2007
I think it's probably just the fact that the guy is like 15 and I doubt his parents would be happy to buy him a decent or better video camera so he could people on youtube his magic.

You don't need a more expensive camera! Watch, I'll Google what you need.

http://www.videomaker.com/learn/production/cinematography/
http://www.videomaker.com/learn/post-production/picture-editing
http://www.videomaker.com/learn/post-production/sound-editing/

See? That took me 30 seconds. There is more than enough information there. Lamont can take the equipment he already has, take the information in those links, and can immediately apply that knowledge to making better videos.

And to put it in a formula that you rabble can understand: better video quality = more people watching = more people see your magic.

It's not that difficult to understand. Why am I talking to an empty room?

Sep 3, 2007
Why is that so unreasonable? Why am I so out of line in asking someone who is filming their magic to learn just enough about their camera to properly frame a shot and just enough about editing to put a sequence together in a pleasing way? Why am I asking too much when I express me desire for videos that don't look like they were filmed by a monkey trying to copulate with the camera?

Maybe I'm asking too much. Asking magicians to respect a craft other than their own. While I'm at it, maybe I can also ask the unicorn king to come down from Planet Hershey's Chocolate and give me a car made of solid gold that runs on friendship.

I've always felt that people should feel welcome to post a video even if they aren't George Lucas. Many have other things going on besides magic and don't have the time to become film artists. And sometimes they still want some feedback from the magic community. It is a good way to get help unless you are already established.

Sep 1, 2007
I've always felt that people should feel welcome to post a video even if they aren't George Lucas. Many have other things going on besides magic and don't have the time to become film artists.

I'm not asking for George Lucas! Drew, you're smarter than this. How drunk did you get to throw me answers this breathtakingly stupid?

And sometimes they still want some feedback from the magic community. It is a good way to get help unless you are already established.

And my point is that if you can't edit or frame a shot in even the most rudimentary ways, I can't give feedback because I can't tell what the **** is going on. How am I supposed to give feedback when a stupid motion blur filter makes it impossible for me to make heads or tails of the action? How am I supposed to critique your words when I can't hear them through the bad audio?

Sep 3, 2007
I'm not asking for George Lucas! Drew, you're smarter than this. How drunk did you get to throw me answers this breathtakingly stupid?

And my point is that if you can't edit or frame a shot in even the most rudimentary ways, I can't give feedback because I can't tell what the **** is going on. How am I supposed to give feedback when a stupid motion blur filter makes it impossible for me to make heads or tails of the action? How am I supposed to critique your words when I can't hear them through the bad audio?

Don't tell me it is stupid to think that videos without "proper" editing should be allowed. That is a personal preference. Why is it so hard for you to understand what was going on in that video? It wasn't great in the way of editing, but is was very easy to see what was going on. And I have had a couple beers... So bear with me.

Sep 1, 2007
Don't tell me it is stupid to think that videos without "proper" editing should be allowed. That is a personal preference.

It's stupid to use strawman arguments to disdain someone offering help in their area of expertise. It's stupid to dismiss the other guy's craft because you think you're already good enough.

Why is it so hard for you to understand what was going on in that video? It wasn't great in the way of editing, but is was very easy to see what was going on.

That damn blur filter. It was distracting. Not only by concealing all the wrong movements and cluttering up the screen, but a lot of people are going to watch that and see it as jerking off. There were several moments where I wasn't entirely sure the trick had happened at all because the blur made it difficult to tell what card I was looking at. Just because you have these filters doesn't mean you should use them. Especially if you're posting a video solely for the sake of a critique. If all you want is feedback on a performance, then the fancy filters do nothing but get in the way.

The last color change seriously looked like a Criss Angel style camera trick, in part because of the blur filter, but also because the framing of the shot reminded me of something similar I saw a kid use a year or two ago. He used the edge of the frame to conceal the sleight. The edge of the frame could also be used to conceal switching out the card in a cut.

Is it really that difficult to see why it's relevant to have at least a rudimentary understanding of the medium you're working in?

Sep 3, 2007
It's stupid to use strawman arguments to disdain someone offering help in their area of expertise. It's stupid to dismiss the other guy's craft because you think you're already good enough.

Is this what I was doing?

That damn blur filter. It was distracting. Not only by concealing all the wrong movements and cluttering up the screen, but a lot of people are going to watch that and see it as jerking off. There were several moments where I wasn't entirely sure the trick had happened at all because the blur made it difficult to tell what card I was looking at. Just because you have these filters doesn't mean you should use them. Especially if you're posting a video solely for the sake of a critique. If all you want is feedback on a performance, then the fancy filters do nothing but get in the way.

The last color change seriously looked like a Criss Angel style camera trick, in part because of the blur filter, but also because the framing of the shot reminded me of something similar I saw a kid use a year or two ago. He used the edge of the frame to conceal the sleight. The edge of the frame could also be used to conceal switching out the card in a cut.

Is it really that difficult to see why it's relevant to have at least a rudimentary understanding of the medium you're working in?

Maybe you are right. When I watched it at first I just thought he was using a method that I'm aware of. Just now going back and watching it, it looks more like editing.

Thanks.

Apr 12, 2009
I'd retape that with a better cam because the way it was filmed you couldnt really see the changes, the best one was the last one thought I liked that... you should try the Poloroid Change, its a little tacky but its sweet.

M

Mystifier1

Well first there is no "Blur motion camera effect" I used a webcamera to film it and they dont pick up fast motions to well.

Second why would I have to edit a card trick. Thats just pathetic. Steerpike you accuse me of editing no matter what I am doing. I feel the only reason you do that is becuase you cant figure it out(though you have an accuse this time becuase of the webcamera) but I am not the only one that feels this way. I have told some other magician about the accusations about me and them and they agree. Though I dont normally do this I will tell you the last one. The last color change is a modified versian of the blink gimmick. I had got the idea a while back on another forum. You should be ashamed of yourself for saying its editing then trying to convince everyone else that it is.

Sep 1, 2007
Well first there is no "Blur motion camera effect" I used a webcamera to film it and they dont pick up fast motions to well.

The phrase I used was motion blur filter. Get it right.

That said, perhaps you should either invest in a non-awful camera or choreograph your routines better to accomodate for the limitations of the technology.

Second why would I have to edit a card trick. Thats just pathetic.

Rhetorical question I'm assuming, but I'll answer anyway. For the same reason you'd edit any trick.

Steerpike you accuse me of editing no matter what I am doing.

Do you recall your last video? I actually told you that the pacing was off and your body language was suspicious. At no point did camera tricks enter the picture.

I feel the only reason you do that is becuase you cant figure it out(though you have an accuse this time becuase of the webcamera)

If that is the limit of your imagination, you have bigger problems than me.

Kid, I'm a filmmaker. If I wanted to, I could produce an hour-long video of magic that was nothing but camera trickery. And I accuse you of using it because the set-ups are just too fishy or convenient for me to take seriously.

In your arrogance, you pointedly refuse to listen to someone trying to help you through their expertise and assume you're good enough. That any criticisms of your videos are just me being too ****ing stupid to understand your genius. And I criticize you specifically because you are never going to hear the things you need to hear from those brain-dead apes lavishing you with fawning praise on YouTube. People like that are parasitic. Their sycophantic behavior only serves to stoke your ego and convince you to block out real criticism and feedback. After a while, there's no turning back and only a public humiliation of the highest magnitude can save you.

This is a huge reason why real magicians do not take YouTube magicians seriously.

but I am not the only one that feels this way. I have told some other magician about the accusations about me and them and they agree.

They can cry me a river, too. That doesn't change the fact that you guys are working in a medium you don't understand and you're just screwing yourselves in the process.

You should be ashamed of yourself for saying its editing then trying to convince everyone else that it is.

Kid, guilt may work on Catholics and stereotypical Jews, but I'm a Slovak with a drinking problem and an ego wanted for assault in 7 states. I don't do the guilt thing. This is exacerbated by the fact that you are not the helpless victim you like to pretend you are, and you continuing to act otherwise is manipulative and sleazy.

I feel no shame whatsoever in calling you out on your incompetence and arrogance. And I will continue to do so until you rectify the situation. The choice is yours. Listen to what I and others are telling you needs to be done to improve, or spiral into stultification and mediocrity with only your channel subscribers to keep you company.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I feel the only reason you do that is because you cant figure it out(though you have an accuse this time because of the web camera)

I had to get a good laugh at this. "You accused me of camera tricks, because you couldn't figure out how I did that."

It's not that he couldn't figure out how you did it. It's that the damn blur effect or whatever made it look really really awful. Seriously.. It was like somebody trying to do a magic effect in the dark "And now the coins have vanished." "I can't see anything." "You'll just have to take my word for it..."

This is a huge reason why real magicians do not take YouTube magicians seriously

Well that and the fact that 90% of youtube magicians do nothing but focus on how good their Dl looks or how good they can do a pass. Plus most of them don't perform magic for anybody but a camera.. So they lack real world experiences.

Nov 29, 2008
Mystifier or LamontMcgee I don't know how to call you... Let's be honest ok? I didn't saw any, any of your tricks that you worked on them for more than 2 hours (If you would worked more you would made better progress)... All of them are just crap (no offense). You're always saying it could be done to a live audience... Prove us then! Get 10 people that are around you and do any of the "tricks". Dude, you don't take magic seriously you're doing it only for getting a few people attention on Youtube.

And about this thing:
Honors of 2008:
Voted Best Illusionist of 2008 on Youtube
Season 1 Wreckless voted best Season of 2008

How can you claim that you were the best magician of Youtube? If 3 kids told that your the best?

M

Mystifier1

How can you claim that you were the best magician of Youtube? If 3 kids told that your the best?

There was an actually voting process on it. So im not claiming anything since I won.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results