Quite Upsetting - Exposure

Sep 3, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
I've been doing my versions of "magic tricks" since I was 7 years old, and it's so awesome to have come across this site. I'm learning that the things I did have names and histories. In short, it's amazing to have a community like this.

My point is this: While reading these your posts, I've gotten confused quite a few times and have had to turn to Google to find out what you're talking about. Mainly with the name of certain effects. In doing this, I've actually learned quite a lot more than I ever knew in the first place.

While this is all exciting and refreshing, I've recently learned how to do "Pressure." Something I've never heard or seen before until someone graciously taught me out of pity.

I was amazed to learn, and upset at the same time when I was browsing YouTube and the "Suggested Videos" on my page had a link to someone showing how it's done.

It killed my glow, really. Granted. not everyone sees these videos, but knowing someone's hard work and practice is out there being butchered by an 11 year old kid is disheartening.

Anyone else feel the same?

Also, I look forward to reading and learning lots from everyone here. It's like watching an Ocean's 11 and hearing all the names of various techniques thrown around. Thanks!

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
First of all welcome, if you need anything feel free to shoot me a PM.

Second, You sir are awesome, making a reference to any "ocean" movie makes you an awesome person.

Third, kudos for making out your own tricks and thats awesome it means that you are a very creative guy.Kudos.

Learning something from a friend (if you didnt buy the trick) is as bad as exposing, get used to it, there are tons of people exposing tricks over internet and to be sincere, I dont care, in my 2 years of performing nobody has said "hey! I saw how to do that on youtube" so dont worry about it.

Nice to see you here.

post edited by moderator to remove unnecessary negativity

Last edited by a moderator:
May 3, 2008
This topic has been brought up hundreds of times. The way I see it is to ignore it. Practice the effect and go out and amaze people. Don't worry about online exposure because people don't see you do a trick and immediatley go to youtube to find the answer. In short, it doesn't have any major affect on you. The creators on the otherhand...

Sep 3, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Thanks for the warm welcome. As for the forums being crap, I wouldn't know the difference. I'm having a ball going through and reading old topics; I'm trying to learn enough to keep up in a conversation. :)

I wish I could say I bought the trick, but I didn't. I straight up got taught for free while after a few hours of trying to work it out on my own. Eventually he told me it was named "Pressure" for a reason and the rest was downhill.

Now I feel guilty. I'm really new to the professional side of magicians and etiquette, so a few blunders are to be in store for me. Please forgive them. I've never really performed for anyone other than my little brother and cousin. They love it.

I'm having trouble finding the creator of Pressure. I'd like to make a donation for my knowledge.

Thanks guys.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Alchemist,

Welcome to this community and welcome to the forums. You're in for a ride, and if you should need any assistance along the way - our crew and members are always ready and willing to help.

With regard to Pressure specifically - this is an effect created by Daniel Garcia and Dan White, and full info on it can be found here. Anytime you see any exposure or copyright infringement of theory11 effects, do not hesitate to shoot us a line via our support center here. Our team works day in and day out to try to minimize exposure and copyright infringement of our artists' work as much as possible.

Sep 3, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Thanks! That was an amazing link you gave me.

The version I learned couldn't hold a candle to that effect! I'm buying that DVD as soon as I find my wallet! There is no way I could pull that off with the version I was taught.

Thanks, brother! :D

This place is awesome.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Welcome to this wonderful site. You should be proud of your self for starting at a young age. I just started a couples of months ago. And don't worry about exposure because it happens, but your audicence won't find out. So welcome.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results