Beginning coin magic

Feb 18, 2010
Hello. What are the beginning coin sleights I should learn, and how should I learn them? What I mean is, should I learn the palms first, and master them before I move to vanishes? That sort of thing. How long should I practice each sleight? BTW, is there sort of an ACR version of coin magic? Thanks!

Feb 5, 2010
my best advice is to check out J.B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. that will teach you everything you will need to know. and Coin magic is pretty similar to card magic. you first learn the slights before you start doing tricks. how long should you practice? thats really up to you. some may need to practice longer then others. and idk if there is an ACR version for coin magic. but if there isnt make your own. i learned with coin magic its basically what you think will go together do it.

jcl

Jan 29, 2010
there is a dvd of bobos which is much easyer to follow worth the extra for the dvd

Coin magic for me personally is a lot harder to learn. i say learn the classic palm first thing right away! its a great move and you will need it there are tricks you can do with pretty much that move!

But coin magic is GREAT but you must work hard to learn a few sleights but you can do many many tricks with the few moves you learn and work from there!.

do not give up IF it feels like you can not do a move it WILL happen just keep practicing and you will be performing great magic soon enough!

Good luck!

May 15, 2010
my best advice is to check out J.B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. that will teach you everything you will need to know. and Coin magic is pretty similar to card magic. you first learn the slights before you start doing tricks. how long should you practice? thats really up to you. some may need to practice longer then others. and idk if there is an ACR version for coin magic. but if there isnt make your own. i learned with coin magic its basically what you think will go together do it.

Ok I strongly recommend getting this book once you have mastered the basics and not before, because learning coin magic off books is much harder than dvds.
The dvds i recommend are:
Complete Intro to Coin Magic by Michael Ammar
or
Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights Vol 1,2,3 by Michael Rubinstein(which will go through the basics in more detail then the other dvd)
or
Expert Coin Magic vol 123 by David Roth.(This set will teach you a great range of tricks from begining to expert but the tricks are more often done on a table.)

For more advice just pop into any magic shop and I am sure they will point you to the right direction.
Hope you make the right choice.
Reelin123

Jun 20, 2009
near paris
beginner coin

don't forget david stone dvd, and eric jones mirage et trois
buy soft coins (they make less noise) like walking liberty half dollar or morgan silver dollar and for the acr for coins i think mirage et trois is perfect but don' t forget that your hands will take some time especially for the classic palm
check out michael vincent volume 2 great dvd (all what he does are great)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
there is a dvd of bobos which is much easyer to follow worth the extra for the dvd

No, it is not. This is amongst the worst advice I've seen for a while written by someone who clearly has no understanding of the original. Whatever you do, steer clear of the MagicMakers DVD set of Bobo's Modern Coin Magic.

DO however get a copy of the book.

However, my advice is to not just get any copy, but rather, to get the NEW Modern Coin Magic, which has a white cover rather than a red or green one. It's an updated version with everything the original has, only better. Bobo is the coin magician's bible - but there's no reason to not get the one that's easier to read and learn from.

In summary - there is the original book, the new edition of the book, and the DVD set. AVOID the dvd set. You can pick up the original if you'd like, but it would be easier and recommended, especially for beginners, to pick up the new edition.

jcl

Jan 29, 2010
i ve got the book and the dvd of bobos and being a beginner of two months i find it easyer to follow someones teaching by watching so you know exactly what the books saying

Mar 21, 2010
Yes, definitely get a copy of Modern Coin Magic, as mentioned above.

Also, incase you would like to learn from a video source, I see that Papercrane has released something called "The Classic Series" -[Here] - but it is highly recommended to get the book.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
i ve got the book and the dvd of bobos and being a beginner of two months i find it easyer to follow someones teaching by watching so you know exactly what the books saying

JCL, that's not the point. I assume you have the Magic Makers DVD of Bobo (or alternatively, God forbid, the "Best of" version).

The point is that seeing something done wrong, and learning from it, is the worst possible outcome.

It is better to not know how to do something, than to do it wrong. I agree that having something to watch can be a good thing - but it's incorrect to assume that what you're watching is what the book is saying! If you're going to learn from a DVD, make it a good one. MagicMakers have a very poor reputation indeed on that front.

If you must see what you are learning, then I would suggest purchasing Expert Coin Magic Made Easy, Volumes 1-3 by David Roth. Incredible coin magic from an incredible master and teacher.

I've also just got into coin magic, and I picked up David Roth's trilogy, and Bobo's book should arrive at my doorstep any day now, his dvd's are very helpful, and, as a beginner, I would definitely reccomend them.

Feb 13, 2009
Michael Ammars intro to coin magic as someone suggested is good for beginners. He teaches different sleights and teaches good tricks using just the sleight taught and then goes onto another sleight and teaches tricks just using that sleight. If I remember I think he teaches holdouts first, which he spends the most time on, like several different palms and clips. Then he goes onto like false transfers like put, takes, retention vanishes. All the tricks taught on that dvd are good and pretty easy. That kinda also answers the question wether to learn sleight first or tricks. With this dvd its like doing both. Learning a sleight and then doing the tricks it gives you motivation to pefect the sleights because of the tricks you want to be doing thats taught as soon as possible. I still use coin thru pants, coins across and coin flury from that dvd. The sleights taught are from guys like bobo, roth, ramsey, malini, schneider and others.

As for like an ACR type of effect using coins you might want to look into Dan Harlan and Joe Rindfleisch's material. They have like an effect thats like ACR with coins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results