Card Under Glass/Drink

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
Does anyone here perform the "Card under glass/drink". I am working on this like crazy. It is a simple card steal however you do need a bit of audience management and proper misdirection. How do you perform it yourself? Would you have any tips. My version is that the spectators card is turned over in the deck and I show that and then I say "Would you be impressed if this was your card?" I say holding the turned over card which is not revealed yet. Most of the time they say yes, they would be impressed and then I turn it over and the face of the card is the face of a pokemon card and I reveal that their card is under the drink. What do you think? How often do you perform this? What is your take on this? Do you have any tips for me, (misdirection)?

Thank you

-MalibuARMY

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
I have never had material for any kind of card under glass. Yet I do perform my own take of card under glass with multiple phases. Looking at the video from Jamy Ian Swiss mine looks kind of similar to his.

Misdirection is a big part of the card under glass routine, it's not hard to do really.

My first phase:

They select a card without showing it to me, I'll either force it or peak it. I place the card in the middle and control it to the top. I tell them their card has now jumped to the top. I show them the wrong card using a double and I place the card under the drink very open-like. I spread through the cards and miscall their card, I lose it in the pack and show that their card is now under the glass

Second phase:

I use the DPS, you could do a top palm or side steal. I put the card into the center of the deck, use a dps, spread out the cards in front of them to look for the card, their card is now under the glass.

Third phase:
I then continue to do "whack your pack" by paul harris like in the video above and continue on from there.

Fourth phase (optional)
Sometimes I will have a duplicate on me, so I would force a card and when the card appears under the glass I can palm the duplicate from the deck/or pocket and when I lift up the glass to retrieve the card I can load the duplicate under the glass.

Nov 8, 2007
Mark Mason has some great work on Card Under Glass from his DVD set Real World Magic. This is one of the routines Mark Mason is really known for, and he does it very well. Definitely worth checking out.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
John Bannon's "Underhanded" from his excellent book "smoke and mirrors" is an excellent 1 phase version of the effect with some thoughts on different execution.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
Doc Eason does card under glass a multitude of times on Vol.1 of his 3 DVD set. He provides some great tips on the moves as well as proper misdirection.

Since I perorm bar magic, this is a go to effect for every one of my shows. There is so much you can do with the idea alone, without using playing cards...

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
I second Mike. Doc Eason's take on this effect is amazing. He makes people want to check themselves into an institution, to get rid of all the glasses with cards under them.

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
The best place to learn this is from JC Wagner, and his thinking on it is spot-on.

He fooled a room of over a hundred magicians with that trick, TWICE, during his lecture here a few years ago.

He goes in depth on it in his International Magic Lecture DVD.

Scott.

Feb 13, 2009
Your patter and presentation has to be very good lol. That is interesting and natural. Thats the most important part really. Other than that its just a matter of palming off and settin the card under a glass at the right moment.

Oh yeah I and really never thought of using a duplicate:D Then its just a matter of stealing and ditching the card to make it that much easier and you could be standing on the other side of the bar:p

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results