Magicians Treat Cards Like Their Children

Sep 6, 2010
This is something that popped into my head a while ago and I thought the analogy was kind of funny.

This is why I think magicians treat their cards like their children:

1. The magician takes them everywhere they go.
2. The magician makes sure they are always clean.
3. The magician always is playing with them.
4. When the magician is done playing with them, he/she go away from them for a bit.
5. When they get too old, they are thrown away and never seen again ( just kidding about that one :) )

Isn't that kind of funny? :)

Oh, if there are any other ones that need to be added to the list, let me know!

- BenTCM

Aug 31, 2007
I let strangers play with them, but I cringe when they bend them.

Mine always rise to the top (dramatic music).

I cut them 3 times with one hand, making sure the face stays the same. Too far?

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Actually, I think magicians treat cards like they do their booze... they can't get enough of it!

Cards for magicians are like drugs to a junkie, it's that simple. It's also why I've had a deep aversion to card magic. . . well, that and the fact that finding "good" card magic is even more difficult and less likely than hitting the lottery. Arguably, one of the more boring aspects of magic (except to magicians), which is why Mike Caveny used the "Pick a Card" line on Tina when putting her to sleep prior to doing a broom suspension. . . and that's just one of many such acts you'll find if you look around, in which other WORKING magicians slam card magic.

Magicians are in love with playing cards for many "logical" reasons, the biggest of which stems from (believe it or not) the military!

It's kind of hard to travel about and not get into trouble, with most any other "device" in your duffel bag but soldier & sailor alike have more than enough idle time on their hands to play with a deck of cards, be it to work on gambling technique or "tricks" (both, being the norm). The advent of so many card tricks & techniques coming into our "main stream" being quite traceable to World War II and the ensuing Baby Boomer generation that was poisoned by said element; our fathers and grandfathers or perhaps favorite Uncles. . . somewhere in every family tree from that era you will find the Cardician and the Ventriloquist as well as that odd handful of jugglers and pseudo-comics.

When it comes to the paste-boards there is another reason for the addiction -- THEIR CHEAP!

When compared to the more traditional array of tricks out there a deck of cards is about the most bang you can get for the dollar ventured. . . even with the addition of gaffed decks or the headache of making your own gaffed cards.

I'd be amiss to not point out that Money Magic, especially with coinage, falls into second position for the very same reasons cards do. . . fortunately, most coin workers have to be better skilled than we find tied to card magic because of how coins can talk. . . a greater sense of control is actually needed. Too, as I learned from Jules Lenear himself, with cards you need fairly clean hands while with coins it helps when your hands are a bit sticky; something Vernon echoed from time to time when working with a promising young student.

To prove my point over the addiction magicians have with playing cards there is the key matter of rudeness when lecturers are about; many complaining when a noted fellow makes a visit and offers not a single card routine. . . something the pros laugh about behind your backs whilst rolling their eyes in disgust over the fact that hobbyists can't seem to wake-up to the fact that magic is composed of so very much more.

I know there will be complaints and rude comments made towards this post -- the truth tends to do that with people. But I dare you to prove me wrong.

Feb 7, 2011
1- Ricky Jay wrote a second book called Children as Weapons.
2- We find them online and then keep then in a box in our bedroom.
3- I ask people to choose one then I put it in a sandwich.

Jul 13, 2009
@Craig Browning,

I have found "arguably good" card magic. Just watch Larry Jennings perform.

He didn't say there wasn't any good card magic out there, just that it is rare. Name dropping isn't needed.

However, I do completely agree that Card magic is rare to find and the market of magic is saturated with performers who perform Card Tricks. If you don't know the difference, you will later.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I think Craig has a very valid point. However, I see nothing wrong with card magic. I am working on getting my restaurant routines together and some of them consist of cards but none of my routines are entirely cards. One routine is 2 card tricks and then a coin matrix and that's the most ill use cards in a routine

Jun 10, 2010
He didn't say there wasn't any good card magic out there, just that it is rare. Name dropping isn't needed.

However, I do completely agree that Card magic is rare to find and the market of magic is saturated with performers who perform Card Tricks. If you don't know the difference, you will later.

There's a difference between name dropping and mentioning a name as a reference.

But, if you must know, I was just drinking tea with Dai Vernon, Ed Marlo, Tony Giorgio, Larry Jennings, and Bruce Cervon. So forgive me for name dropping.

^That would be name dropping.

Jul 13, 2010
Cards and women have something in common.
We love to play with other cards from time to time, but keep going back to our standard deck every time.
When we get older we don´t care so much about a beautiful outer appearance. It´s the inner values. Same with cards. Older magicians don´t have such a fetish for custom playing cards. It´s the magic that counts for them, not the cards.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results