Acr

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
It was very very sleight heavy.

It wasn't really an ACR in the sense it was more of a colour change routine.

There was no structure no growth to the routine a good effect ACR or otherwise should tell a story.

I get what you're saying here. The story should come before the sleights, not the opposite.
The way I saw the story, was a card so ambitious that not only it comes on top after beeing inserted inside the deck, but even switches places with other cards, jumps, sometimes goes to the bottom, and in the end have the audacity to go to the top face up.

Way too many sleights. Simplify it, double lifts are not your enemy. If you could upload a video of you performing this for a real live audience the reaction wouldn't be as strong as if you used the basic card magic sleights. As cool as Dan and Dave's card moves are, there's a reason they don't have live performances on their DVD's.

Nov 27, 2009
I have to agree with D ICE R here. I like the routine, but I didn't see an ACR. ACR's for me are hard to get right. I have trouble finding a balance between boring and having too much going on. I think that if you had the card just come to the top or bottom a couple times without the color changes it would help turn the routine into an ACR.

Dan & Dave don't have live performances is related to their personalities not to the effectiveness of their sleights.
I agree that their moves are built for performers that don't like to talk, that doesn't mean they work bad in a patter-dominant environment.
But i feel you're right about having too many sleights. Will correct that very soon.
Thanks for the honest opinions.

I thought it was pretty cool... With the right patter i am sure it would work fine!? The reason i say this is because who knows how effective it even is for people until it is used on people. Perform it for people and cut what doesn't work and keep what does.

Nice sleight of hand btw you make me look like a child with cards haha!

May 2, 2010
The sleights were pretty good! :) Cherry control is kind of angley, also the classic pass at the end...you had your hands on the deck for quite long, it was a bit suspicious. Your one-handed popover was amazing! However you could see the replacement after the DPS.

As for the routine, I've been working on my ACR for a bit now, and I know people say "ohh you're not making it come to the top...there's too much distraction from the original plot..etc", but laymen do appreciate fancy colour changes and pops. That said, it does need some structure...that's impossible to tell for your routine without patter.

It was very fast, but I'm sure it's slower in the real world.

Your card handling is good! :) how long have you been into magic?

Thanks guys !
You're right tan567 about the cherry control, It's a nice and easy way to put a card on top but it has its angle limitations.
Usually when I'm surrounded I use the Cascade Control. But...yeah...all your other remarks were spot on. Still lot of work to be done.
I started magic for about 2 years now. Bought my first new cards on February 2010. So...yep...noob.

Oct 26, 2009
For me that was kind of like sleight of hand demonstration, but gosh, that really was Cherry Control? Purely awesome. I think audience could say :"fast hands", but I think the main thing is to make the routine enjoyable for them(audience) and if people like it then just perform it.

Apr 12, 2011
It isn't really an ambitious card sequence... Even with patter, from a technical aspect, it's just a bunch of re appearances with no linear model of progression. Performing this will cloud the audience's perception of what the initial effect was. Keep your ambitious card separated from your pocket/shoe/fly surprise effects.

May 2, 2010
Thanks guys !
You're right tan567 about the cherry control, It's a nice and easy way to put a card on top but it has its angle limitations.
Usually when I'm surrounded I use the Cascade Control. But...yeah...all your other remarks were spot on. Still lot of work to be done.
I started magic for about 2 years now. Bought my first new cards on February 2010. So...yep...noob.

If you started in Feb 2010 then that would be just over one year ;)

By the way, what kind of reactions have you got from the routine?

I did some test performances last week end, and It got some pretty sweet reactions. I didn't use the exact same routine tough.
Here is how it went:
I began with classic stuff, ACR patter, DL, card in center, reveal. Then fake card in center, and patter saying that this card can do cooler stuff. I went shapeshifter (I'm not confident with duck change if I have sweaty hands...), patter, Top shot, patter, classic pass.
I skipped the popover part, found out it was too much.
As soon as possible I will post a video with random audience, so you can see what it looks like. (And I will speak Moroccan, cause I'm in Morocco right now...)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results