People are addicted to cards now?

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
leeasher.com crashed at the jerrys launch a couple weeks ago. E has been down for hours because of the red artifice launch. DnD will probably be the same story for the release of V6.

What is going on? Has card "collecting" become that popular?

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I noticed people have been buying lots of cards because...well, because that's what people do these days? But I've never seen sites be offline for hours before.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
I seem to have at least two sealed decks on my dresser and my studio room desk at all times. I think about opening one up from time to time then ask, "and just what will I do with them?'

Honestly, though, it's my personal opinion. I'm not out of magic by any stretch -- just taking time to enjoy a completely different aspect. Best wishes to the card addicts. May your storage overflow with your favorite decks.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
leeasher.com crashed at the jerrys launch a couple weeks ago. E has been down for hours because of the red artifice launch. DnD will probably be the same story for the release of V6.

What is going on? Has card "collecting" become that popular?
I don't think DnD will be like that. They have a larger number of decks as well as more dealers. T11 will almost definitely be stocking the v6s as well and both sites will not crash.

Feb 4, 2008
People have been addicted to cards for a long time. More to the point, card magicians have been doing card collecting as a side hobby for a long time as well. Kind of makes sense I think. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if their are coin magicians who also get into coin collecting. Go search for some Marlo clips on youtube. He seems to have different decks in his hands all the time. I have never heard that he was a collector, so I am not implying that he was, but I think more different brands of cards were available off the shelf back in the day. The predominance of Bicycle Rider backs on store shelves, and almost exclusively among magicians, is a trend that has only emerged over the last two decades. I realize that dates back before most of you were born so most of you didn't really see that shift. When I was a little kid playing card games with my grandparents Hoyle was a much more common deck.

Long and short is that I think it is great that Lee Asher, Theory 11, and Ellusionist(in no particular order) have reignited an interest in card collecting among young magicians. Some magicians may consider it frivolous but in the end it has created a market for more variety in cards which has inspired a monopoly company(What USPCC is in North America) to start producing variety in their inventory. If you know anything about basic economics you know that monopolies in general stop bothering with things like variety and quality.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
While I think this whole idea of causing a site to crash simply because a new deck of cards is coming out is incredibly silly. (The Paul Harris DVD set didn't even cause that much havoc and it had a lot more to offer than a newly designed deck of cards.).

The question you have to consider is will this fad last, with these new "neat" designed cards will cause people to actually improve themselves or will it start an endless amount of threads about how somebody stole their cards or how the cards bring on too much suspicion because of our "odd" they are designed.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I can see some of our guys in 50 years on the TV show "Buried Alive - Hoarders" They will go through their house and it will be nothing but decks of cards in every room and only pathways to walk through. Ha Ha.

I think it is more of a fad thing right now and everyone is like, "OH MY GOSH, I need a whole brick of these because they are super cool and will sell out in 1 day and then I won't have them"

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
To me, the only good E cards I liked were the Master Deck (before they did a redesign of them and screwed them up.) In fact I still have a bunch of old Master Decks that I still use and practice with every so often. Sure they're not as brand spanking new as they once were and sure they may not be able to perfect faro(which is something I can't do.). But really, they handle just the same as any other deck and look like a normal deck of cards.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Randy...you are absolutely correct. The old E Master's decks were outstanding. I loved the nice thick stock and they held up well too. The Ghost Decks are still pretty good.

Its amazing really how crazy it has become.

Im not so interested in new decks as much lately, but always try and get a brick or so of most types that come out. Cant really think of too many E Decks that I do infact own though.

I am more than happy for people to go crazy in buying these new fad styles of custom cards, while I will keep adding to my collection of 1,200 or so decks which are much rarer than anything that was only printed a couple of weeks ago :).

Totally agree,

The Original Masters are easily my favourite card from E.

Do they still make them using the same stock etc? Havnt really visited E for a while now.

Ghosts were also awesome cards, dont really rate too many more of them though.

In saying that though, im not a huge fan of a heap of the custom T11 Cards either, the new JAQK's are currently handling really well and the Split Spades are awesome. But I am a little picky when it comes to the others :).

Feb 4, 2008
I'll chip in with another vote for the old Masters. Although I think it should be pointed out that this "Custom Deck" fad led directly to the masters. Many magicians felt the quality difference in the Ghost and Black Tiger decks but wanted a card that looked "Normal." Thus, the Masters deck was born. It was on the same stock and finish as the Tigers and Ghosts....just didn't have the same paint job.

I was sad to see the Masters go but their are many other high quality cards that don't look "suspicious." They may not look just like a Red or Blue Bike but they don't look "fishy" either. Shop around a bit and you will find the good ones.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I've been doing magic since I was 13 (I'm 24 now) but had a break from it and when I got back in to it a couple years ago I did get sucked in to buying lots of the new cards just because they were selling out quite fast. Cards started to build up and I wondered what the hell I was going to do with them because I would of never used them. Which is why you see the selling link in my signature. Now I'll buy 1 deck of new releases if I really like them just to play with.

I think there are a lot of kids who buy cards just because people like Dan & Dave have a big card collection. 99% of magicians aren't card collectors, they open them to try them or sell them because they realise they need money.

Feb 4, 2008
I think there are a lot of kids who buy cards just because people like Dan & Dave have a big card collection. 99% of magicians aren't card collectors, they open them to try them or sell them because they realise they need money.
Not positive about your statistics? I'm sure the majority of magicians are not card collectors but in the same breath I would guess that a good percentage of "Card Magicians" are. I doubt it reaches over 1/2 but I'm sure it is at least 1/4 to 1/3rd...I'm just speculating myself of course. Obviously enough of a percentage to fuel a custom card market where "limited" runs consist of 5000 decks. Anyways, it isn't worth judging one way or the other. They are two hobbies that go hand in hand but certainly don't have to go hand in hand.

What you said about kids being coaxed into it because their magic "heroes" do the same is a worthwhile discussion. It certainly isn't unique to magic, however. The Smoke and Mirror decks are the "Air Jordan" of the card magic world. Fortunately, Dan and Dave, and Michael Jordan for that matter, have proven to be as concerned with quality as well as brand association. Believe me, many other industries are less concerned with the quality. I used to be a snowboard instructor and I can tell you for fact that many signature snowboards from famous riders were nothing but a cheap to mid range board with a new paint job that sold for hundreds of dollars more. There are a few cards on the market that I suspect are the same but I don't consider Dan and Dave's to be among those.

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
I think an aspect that hasn't really been addressed yet is that when you get your hands on any of these decks and they go out of print the resell value of the deck increases. Sometimes drastically.

Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it because yeah, the company might sell all their units right away but after that they are forcing people who still want their product to pay OTHER people for that product at an INFLATED PRICE. Like every transaction that goes on like that is a sale that they could have had. Why force a customer to pay someone else 15 dollars (that you won't see) for your product when they could have just given you that money and got more product? Sounds win win to me.

Most of these new decks just look sort of weird not they cards at all...the spit spades were my favorite because they just looked like a normal deck of cards for the most part.

Either way I feel worried for the way magic seems to be going... but that might just be me.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results