I'm going to learn that on youtube

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I now understand the power of putting up fake tutorials up on youtube.

I popped in to a restaurant to show them magic just by chance that they might want to book me and one of them was a real tough customer, constantly wanted to check the cards, shuffle the cards etc...anyway I was there for about 30 minutes and the guy that was tough to please said he's going to search for magic on youtube and google and learn it.
He was quite adamant that he will find my secrets on youtube and though he can learn some things on there I know he won't be able to learn what I showed him. Still, it's a worrying attitude in the digital age so keep the fake tutorials coming.

Nov 19, 2010
thank god for these fake tutorials people at my school think pressure is done with tape and a small hole in it

even if the tutorial is fake, it gives people a method, and any "method" is good enough for them. even if it is a stupid method, if it might work.
i feel that with those kinds of people it really doesnt matter because they are not appreciating magic as an art, but magic as trickery. i feel this can be helped a bit by understanding where the person stands while you are performing and decide on what to show them.

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
I think fake tutorials are mainly for magicians. Most laypeople won't have enough knowledge of magic to know that the method is completely bogus. And as mentioned before, a method is enough for them.

I don't really worry about it. If you don't give them the exact name of the trick, then they can't find it. And even if you do, they probably won't remember to look it up on Youtube or anywhere else. People just kind of say that to try to "scare" you into telling them the method.

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
Whenever I do a trick people always assume I learned it on youtube, because where else can you learn it!?!? Magic isn't as prevalent in Norway as in the US. So people don't really know how you learn it so they always say "I bet you learned it on youtube" and yes if they search on youtube for magic tricks they will find tutorials and bad ones at that.

Those youtube tutorials are hilarious though. Majority is 13 year old kids that watched a DVD once and then posted a video. Not a tutorial, but a "this is how it works". Which teaches nothing but the secret. And it's all just to get views and subscribers so they can feel like they are worth something. It's really sad, even sadder than the fact they are revealing the tricks.

I taught my brother how to do a card trick and I told him about the psychology and why every move works. And I had previously showed him the trick so he knew it worked. That's a tutorial. Not " see you lift up 2 cards as 1 and boom trick is done".

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I now understand the power of putting up fake tutorials up on youtube.

I popped in to a restaurant to show them magic just by chance that they might want to book me and one of them was a real tough customer, constantly wanted to check the cards, shuffle the cards etc...anyway I was there for about 30 minutes and the guy that was tough to please said he's going to search for magic on youtube and google and learn it.
He was quite adamant that he will find my secrets on youtube and though he can learn some things on there I know he won't be able to learn what I showed him. Still, it's a worrying attitude in the digital age so keep the fake tutorials coming.

That's kind of where you went wrong. If you were there to see if he/she could book you for the place. You don't want to perform any magic for them, you simply want to talk to them about how you performing there will help increase their sales and how you won't get in the way of the staff. Then if the guy wants to see something, you simply show him/her maybe one effect and then leave it at that.

This also have to do with your attitude when you were there and if you had the attitude of "I'm going to fool/trick you." or "I'm better than you are."

There's a split in the working force on the "proper approach" to booking gigs like this. Sure you can just do one trick or two and be done with it, but from my personal experience I seem to have better luck offering them a trial night for free first. I guess it's a matter of personal preference.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
There's a split in the working force on the "proper approach" to booking gigs like this. Sure you can just do one trick or two and be done with it, but from my personal experience I seem to have better luck offering them a trial night for free first. I guess it's a matter of personal preference.

Well I was going to say that as well. Though from what was said, it seemed more like when the kid/person performed for the guy he didn't think of it like he was going to convince them of it being a good Business opportunity for said place.

Seemed more like he went in there, performed a few tricks for the manager and did a "So, What do ya think?" type attitude.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
That's kind of where you went wrong. If you were there to see if he/she could book you for the place. You don't want to perform any magic for them, you simply want to talk to them about how you performing there will help increase their sales and how you won't get in the way of the staff. Then if the guy wants to see something, you simply show him/her maybe one effect and then leave it at that.
I didn't go wrong because I have a potential booking out of it, plus I got a free drink. Bear in mind I'm not an amateur or hobbiest so I understand what I can get away with in most situations. Personally I would much rather spend 5-10 minutes showing a potential client 2 or 3 tricks than giving them an hour of my valuable time on a night when I could be doing paid work instead. I almost never work for free and I don't intend to start now.

I would like to point out that I'm not a "kid" Randy.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results