The future of entertainment business

Mar 2, 2009
Hi guys,

Right now I`m doing a research about the future of entertainment business(especially performing arts). I`ve done lots of research in the music and acting field but I think that magic as a performing art plays a big role in the entertainment business too.

The growth and developments, problems(more people prefer to perform for their webcam rather than for live people nowadays, I think..), peoples perception and acceptance, the psychology behind the art itself etc.

I myself love and also do perform magic in my free time but I really hope I can get some opinion from all of you guys who performs professionally and knows in depth about magic as a part of entertainment business. Really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Nazz

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
First thing I have to do is ask is why do you think magic plays a big role in the entertainment business?

It's not, sorry to say. This is easily evident by the amount of magic in mainstream media, ie: little to none. In the last twenty years only two names have reached national renown, those being Blaine and Angel. I don't know if there's even any magic shows currently airing on TV that aren't repeats. What people see on TV now is Gob and other parodies of magicians, or people who are using principles of magic but are not really magicians (like The Mentalist). The last big 'magic' movies I can recall are The Illusionist and The Prestige, both came out 6 years ago.

In the current entertainment market, magic is a filler. The people who are big names in the entertainment industry as magicians have been around for twenty, thirty years. If magic played a big role, there would be more magic on TV, in movies and otherwise represented in pop culture.

I think you need to look to laymen here. As magicians, we're biased in that we search out magic. Most people do not go looking for it. They may see a magician if they happen to see an advert for a show and happen to be free that day, and it's not too expensive ... but they're not actively looking for a magic show in what I would think is the vast majority of cases. Try this simple test to see:
1) Go to a mall, college campus or other social gathering grounds.
2) Ask as many people as possible if they plan to see a new movie release in the next week.
3) Then ask if they plan to see a concert in the next six months.
4) Then ask if they're planning to see a magician within the next five years. Note: Actively planning means they've got someone in mind, and are waiting for them to come to the area or be in the area that the person performs (IE: "I'm going to go to Vegas to see Penn & Teller next year" or "Copperfield is coming through the area, I want to see that show.")

I'm betting that if you ask 100 people, less than 10 will say they plan to see a magician, and the majority of those will be of the "I'm going to Vegas and I'll see Copperfield/Penn & Teller" variety.

Magic may play a bigger role than you give it credit for Christopher. Magicians have always been behind the scenes of Hollywood since its early conception. Major movie stars like Carey Grant, and TV stars like Johnny Carson were magicians. Magic has been in bed with Hollywood since god knows when.

I'm not sure what the research is for Nazz but I also have to nod along to what Christopher was saying too. Magicians are variety acts. In the hierarchy of entertainment we're only a notch or two above jugglers and mimes. Sadly, we're also a notch below comedians. Our hayday was during the height of Vaudeville, and we haven't seen a truly great touring magic show since maybe Blackstone Jr. Not counting Copperfield of course.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Great comments Will and Chris! I am in full agreement. That is precisely why when someone asks me, "Is this effect still good?" I tell them that 99 percent of our population HAS NOT seen magic in person and to go ahead and keep on using it. They have only seen a TV special of Blaine, Angel, or the Masked magician. The general public DOES NOT go seeking out magic. They will only go to a paid local show if it is cheap enough, for a good cause such as a benefit show, or they are in Vegas seeking out some entertainment from Penn and Teller, Copperfield, and in the past Burton. Because magic is not mainstreamed, I truly believe that many of today's paid professionals (NOT the Vegas acts) still hold day jobs and couldn't solely support their family on the income from magic alone.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
While there are those exceptions that "make it" as a magician the majority of us never will. In fact most magicians will do fewer than a dozen shows a year and most of those they will do simply because of the opportunity. In the real world Magic Acts are seen as "Filler" in a Revue Show or as a lure for a sales pitch, it is rarely viewed as being a thing of actual value. Just look at how sit-com shows make people that like magic out as being geeks with no life . . . 40 year old virgins with Star Wars posters on the wall and a head full of pseudo-intellectual horse-pucky. It's very rare to see a magician portrayed as an actually dignified human being, especially given the popularity of someone like Angel and how that "goth-ish" image has given the world 1001 clones (though none of them see themselves as being such. . . ignore the eye liner, piercings and leather)

When I was younger Street Magic is what we did when there were no gigs and rent was due, it wasn't a vocational goal, nor is it practical when it comes to the idea of becoming a pro. Being a pro in magic however, doesn't just mean you get paid, it means that you can honestly make a living at it without having that day job, it means that you have some level of organization and prioritizing to your nature and more than ever before, you have a solid support network; people that are a part of your project though they probably aren't in the show itself. Today's "celebrity" within magic (in this case) is purchased -- invented -- it's not based on talent as much as it is packaging.

Most all Variety Arts modes of entertainment are looked down upon by the mainstream (music, acting, formal theater, etc. ) we are the Warm-up Acts for Ice Cream & Cake, as a friend of mine would say. The only way out of that mode is to hustle and for most of us the hustling ends up sucking the life out of us and we simply have to surrender -- Magic/Show Biz being a vicious and unforgiving mistress that is readily manipulated by power players and political mongering. You may be on top today and find yourself not getting a single job offer tomorrow simply because you affronted someone along the way. I've seen it happen to some huge names in our craft and endured such things because like my mentor, I too have a big mouth and an Irish temper. . . don't play well with others.

You have to have focus and a plan now days. Being creative is a boon but not a must; endurance and determination however, are paramount. Aside from knowing how to work a room social-politically, you need to be comfortable as a business person first and the magician second in that it is a BUSINESS. . . a JOB.

Multiple streams of cash flow is the other key to magic success; this includes everything from back of the room product sales to doing work as a technician on other shows and if you're lucky, getting effects on the market, understanding that there is an art to doing such things -- timing is everything! But this side of the coin also includes making investments of time and money into other things outside of magic or show biz itself. Many Mentalists actually choose to do private Readings, Public Talks and Workshops in that it is related and supportive of what they do on stage while giving them numerous resources when it comes to economic sustainment.

The Future of Magic is simple; it will always have a place and appeal within society and even show biz. But, it will change and over time certain aspects of what we do will become passe, transmuting into totally new ways of doing things as well as the effects themselves. But so long as the majority of the global population has a penchant towards fantasy and faith, magic will survive.

Feb 7, 2011
Magic may play a bigger role than you give it credit for Christopher. Magicians have always been behind the scenes of Hollywood since its early conception. Major movie stars like Carey Grant, and TV stars like Johnny Carson were magicians. Magic has been in bed with Hollywood since god knows when.

I'm not sure what the research is for Nazz but I also have to nod along to what Christopher was saying too. Magicians are variety acts. In the hierarchy of entertainment we're only a notch or two above jugglers and mimes. Sadly, we're also a notch below comedians. Our hayday was during the height of Vaudeville, and we haven't seen a truly great touring magic show since maybe Blackstone Jr. Not counting Copperfield of course.

The one performer this side of the atlantic who has a truely great and successful live show about every two years, is Derren brown. Ironicly, barely anyone realises he is a magician. His tours sell out way in advance and he does up to 15 shows in some cities on his tours, which is alot over here, and alot im sure for a magic show anywhere in the world bar vegas. A number of his tours have been so popular he has been able to take the same show on the road again immediately after it's finished. Really and truly a magic superstar in this neck of the woods.

Mar 2, 2009
First of all I would like to thank you guys for the time and effort to give your opinions for this research.

Our member ChristopherT said that magic shows is a filler and probably it is true comparing it to music or movies. I`m also interested in the fact that magic has been a part of the world famous Hollywood since ever but some people still think magic is cheesy and only losers without social life do magic. Magic has been around for thousands of years,once fascinated by some, feared by the others. Nowadays, magic is still fascinating but why is it the practitioner sometimes being looked down and made fun of?

Magic today is an art form that was born from generations of great if not notorious minds of swindlers, cheats, gypsies, masters of seduction and persuasion(I think this can be applied to politics too..). A lot of professional magicians said(in lectures, books, dvd etc) that magic happens not in the spectator`s eyes but in their mind, it`s not how the spectators see it but how they perceive the magic. I think this is why sometimes a magician is hired to be a consultant in the making of a movie or tv show, the thinking, the psychology behind a magic trick is applicable to other areas of entertainment business(a magician was also hired to consult war strategies back then). A magician seems to know everything about entertainment(how to connect with people, how to build rapport, how to be charming, how to keep the act interesting, how to control the situation, how to improvise, how to impress and how to blow everybody`s mind), skills not necessarily a musician or an actor needs.

So what is the real problem? Are magicians only as good as an advertising tool for the entertainment business?

Thanks,
Nazz

Feb 17, 2012
Los Angeles
Nazz, the first part of your post is not completely true. It all depends upon your personality and social skills, a very social person who does magic is just that, a social person who does magic. Where the Unsocial person will come off as more awkward when preforming, just due to their lack of communication skills. If you want to shake that image and are not naturally good with people, take the time to learn. Communication is a skill like any other, some people are naturally better at it, some people need to practice to become good at it.

Aug 17, 2010
I`m also interested in the fact that magic has been a part of the world famous Hollywood since ever

True, but neither Johnny Carson, Cary Grant, Woody Allen nor Dick Cavett were famous for being magicians, nor did they rise to fame as magicians before moving on. I'd imagine stamp collecting has been part of Hollywood forever as well.

So what is the real problem?

At the risk of becoming even less popular, here's my honest opinion.

It's the generally low level of craft. Forums are crowded with people just finding out that scripting is a necessity, and posts like "I booked a gig, and don't have an act - please help!" This hurts us all; when someone who just isn't ready does hackwork at a gig, it paints every one of us with that same brush.

Related to this is the contempt for learning through imitation - beginners are being told to 'make up their own' far too early for my money. There's no encouragement to learn a solid, time-tested routine, perform it and learn why the masters built it as they did. True mastery begins as imitation; every guitarist learned someone else's material first. Actors say lines other people wrote, and a director shapes their performance. Dancers copy other dancers for ages before they create. Why is this the only performing art where someone with less than a years' experience is supposed to come up with the material as well as perform it?

There's little focus on the performance aspect of the craft. When was the last time you read a really good thread on acting technique? Or on Stanislavski's advice to actors to read out loud? On voice training or technique? There's plenty on "which tricks do you do" or "what's the best torn and restored card".

Also, there's a laziness in terms of using good language. Misusing words, mispronunciation, poor sentence structure and made up words never put you in a good light. Not a lot of people will bust you for using 'who' when it should be 'whom,' but at least try to use real words (it's agreement, not agreeance; regardless, not irregardless). And for Pete's sake, proofread printed materials carefully; a typo on a business card, letter or website screams "lazy, unprofessional hack."

Magic suffers from its secrecy; as such, there's no real unified theory on magic (as there is in music; d flat minor means one thing only, and everybody knows exactly what). I've seen threads go on for pages as people argue the definition of gaff vs gimmick, on the difference between effect and plot, on routine, etc. We can't even agree on the terms, let alone what it is we are trying to accomplish, how we best do it, and a predictive model that will guide our efforts.

Additionally, magic is a fringe art, and it has been for a long time now; granted, the fringe expands (Blackstone, Thurston, Houdini, etc.) but generally it's on the edges. It's like sideshow; it's best when it isn't too big. If there were a ton of kids doing Human Blockhead, bed of nails, or sword swallowing at the mall for cell phone cameras, it would cheapen those as well, possibly kill them.

When it gets too big, the talent is spread too thinly, and the level of craft goes down. It's like comedy clubs in the 80's - everyone was opening one, and they needed talent. There weren't enough good comedians to fill all the dates, so they had to book whomever they could - and that killed the comedy club boom.

Nov 27, 2009
@jButterfield Right on! I'm only 20 years old, but I have enough experience to know that what you're saying is true. I learned from the masters, via their published material. I also had a guy that I went to for help on things whenever I needed some advice. I had my own style, but I took most of my patter from the books I read. (I updated the language, of course.) I did this for 5 years before I coughed up an original trick. I don't even perform that trick because it's not good, and it's gimmicked. (I don't do gimmicked tricks, just for the simple reason that I never have the gimmicks on me.) It took me another 5 tries over a period of almost another year to come up with something worth doing.

As far as the focus on performance goes, as a group, we're the worst performers on earth, individually there are exceptions, but those are few. If all of us went to acting school and learned about creative writing, we'd be much better off as a performance art. I saw an interview with Eric Jones recently. In the interview, it was mentioned that he practices to a metronome. I couldn't do that, but I can see where it'd be extremely helpful for the rhythm of a performance, which is another thing that isn't mentioned much outside of coin magic.

In relation to laziness and use of language your signature is proof of that, jButterfield. I'm not trying to inslut you or joke on your signature. I'm pointing out that if we weren't so lazy with our language, such a signature would not be necessary.

Unified theory is also essential to advancing because it gives us a foundation, and it lets us know what we're talking about. There are too many misnomers in magic, the worst of them being misdirection. Misdirection gives off the idea that it's a mistake in the directing of attention. (Or at least that's how I see things.) This is certainly not the case. It is intentional direction of attention in a way that makes what we do a mystery because our "moves" are hidden. If we called misdirection something that better represented what it actually is, we'd be much better off. For now, the word serves as perfect misdirection for laymen because of the idea that we're directing attention away form something while we do something else elsewhere.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results