What happened to the top hat?

Sep 5, 2012
natefitz.wix.com
It's the "Common Misconception" of a magician- that guy with the fancy gotee and the tails who produces rabbits from hats, foam balls from his mouth and flowers from silk. It's the guy who strides onstage and the entire audience watches. It's the guy who shouts "ABRACADABRA!" before revealing an impossible thing. It's the guy who made us laugh and applaud as kids when he was invited to our birthday parties. It's the guy who doesn't seem real- the guy who seems to exist only to make the impossible possible- The Magician.
You've all seen him in one of his fashons or one of his many other lives- Be he the Wizard of the North or Blackstone, Zatanna or Mickey Mouse, he existed.
What happened to him?
Was he sucked down his hat into the neather regons he claimed power over? What changed him from the rank of "Master Magician" to his current role of "outdated cleche"?
What do you think killed the top hat?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Fashion. Robert-Houdin brought magic off the streets and into the parlor (or stage) by dressing like someone from high society. The top hat and tails was something that was worn by those in high society. Now the trend in magic is to return to the streets and dress in Goth fashion. Go figure.

Just so you know, I do have a top hat and do produce bunnies (around 100) from it. ;)

Reality One I should smack you with my white makeup for that goth remark. =/

To address the OP: Society, well the modernization of it, really is what killed that image. Though the goatee, top hat & tails wearing conjurer really sounds more like Dante than anything else.

Reality One of course hit the nail on the head with Houdin's presentation style. By dressing more like everyone at the time Houdin was able to establish a connection to his audience in ways the street buskers of the day couldn't. It's this very thinking which has caused Penn & Teller to dress in their classic grey suits. Because suits and ties are the modern equivalent of tails and top hats.

Now while suit and tie are the modern working class image of the business professional David Blaine went a step further with his urban Messiah image by dressing intentionally down to look like Joe Anybody. A normal looking average guy you wouldn't be able to pick out in a crowed who possesses superhuman abnormal powers to bend reality. So in a way Blaine was successful as a deconstruction of the classic magician stereotype.

Now the only other clothing option to explore is that of other eccentric or niche characterization, Criss Angel's rocker/goth image being among them. -an image that works well for the teen to twenty demographic.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Reality One I should smack you with my white makeup for that goth remark. =/

Pseudo-goth? Faux-goth? I know there is a distinction between Criss (and his wannabes) and someone who has a real character (and a freaking cool top hat with a skull and cross bones). Your character has always struck me as a sightly macabre Victorian gentleman than Criss Angel rocker/goth.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
What changed him from the rank of "Master Magician" to his current role of "outdated cleche"?

As I reread this post, I began to wonder if the emphasis on clothing was not were you are going. Are all magician's outdated cliches?

I think the answer is yes, but no, but yes again. Let me explain.

What do most people think of when they think of a magician? The guy from Frosty the Snowman? The clown (sometimes literally) that did magic tricks at their six year old birthday party? Weird Uncle Rufus who pulls coins from their ears? Let's start with the iconic and cliche image from Frosty the Snowman. Well, that actually isn't far from the kids birthday party magician. The problem here is that magicians are relying on what worked in the past. For effects they use brightly colored props that, well you can only get in a magic shop - Hippity Hoppity Rabbits, Run Rabbit Run, Stratosphere (sorry Rick), Dove Pan, Magic Candy Maker and the more creative ones, a red and orange Circle Square or Temple Screen. Most of those effects came out before I was born, in a time where there were all sorts of "inventions" and many toys were made from wood and paint. They were relevant, but no longer are. The problem is that the presentation hasn't changed either. If anything, the performances are more influenced by English Panto and Punch and Judy performances today due to performers / teachers with that style like David Kaye and David Ginn. The magic is secondary to the comedy, or more appropriately buffoonery (think look don't see and magician in trouble). The shows are entertaining, but not really magical. Kaye and Ginn both subscribe to the journey (the gags and jokes and by-play along the way) is more important than the destination (the magic). I disagree. The magic must be of primary importance and the presentation must be designed to emphasize the magic.

Maybe people think of the performers on [INSERT COUNTRY'S NAME] Got Talent. OK, we've got the guy with the cat pulling cards out of his ear (yeah, weird Uncle Rufus comes to mind). We've got the illusionists that burn through an illusion a minute without saying a word (After seeing Horace Goldin perfom in this manner, P.T. Selbit remarked "Silence is Goldin"). Then there are the rest of the performers that focus on the trick with the only justification being that they can do something the audience can. Even if people have seen live magic shows with "professionals" (loosely defined as anyone who gets paid for performing), it isn't much better. I saw two professional magic shows in the last month -- both of them performed Kevin James' bowling ball production -- silently. Both performed Losander's floating table -- nearly identically. How many times have I seen a magician perform Metamorphosis doing nothing but explaining what they are doing. I blame Fitzkee or more accurately most people's reading of Fitzkee for much of what is wrong in magic. People follow the advice written for folks in the 1940 rather than understanding the spirit of that advice.

And now for the NO part. David Blaine and Criss Angel did do something different by changing the image and "taking magic back to the streets." I do question whether it would be as effective without the camera crew following them, but that is another issue. However, THAT has become cliche. Sorry, but it has. Worse, their performances reinforce the idea of just performing an effect without any presentation -- merely narrating what the performer is doing. Yep. Say-do-see patter. Sportscasting. Cooking show presentation ("and now I'm going to add two cups of flous..."). So that brings me back to YES again. I think that performing style has become a cliche, just as the Youtube magician performing at crotch level for a webcam a trick he learned ten minutes ago has become a cliche.

So here is the question... how do you break out of the cliche?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
The top hat and tails actually started with Kellar, memory serving me right, and was properly adopted by Thurston who was the David Copperfield of his day -- a good looking younger gent that the tail look simply accentuated charm and pizazz around.

Our evolution away from this classic look can be credited to one specific individual more than any other source; Mark Wilson and his success with early television. While he wasn't the only one hitting the Tv market in a modern styled suit & tie style, he was the one that was most seen by the public and the one that inspired the majority of magicians of that particular generation -- my generation. BUT, I was on the outer fringes of that Baby Boomer era and found greater influence by way of Doug Henning and to some degree, Copperfield during the 70s, neither of whom were known for Tux, Tails or even Ties.

Long before Blaine and whatshisname guys like Kevin James, Franz Harary, and even Rudy Koby were changing the look of the stage magician towards the Glam-Rock look of the 80s. They were likewise introducing a greater sense of the macabre (especially Kevin) along with a number of others, few of whom anyone know of today (outside that big mouth from Massachusetts, perhaps). Punk Rock was one side some took, which slowly evolved into Goth back when Goth was real and not just costumed facade a.k.a. Hot Topic Goth (huge differences). From this scene most of those that had moved through said evolution found themselves moving into the now popular Steampunk look and fantasy style . . . . that is to say, those that are keeping up with trends, some folks out there are a bit behind the times.

Even with all this evolution in which things change at least every decade if not faster, there has been one long set standard when it comes to getting the higher paying jobs -- the classic late 20th century suit & tie. Until you become a "name" and a genuine "star" showing up at a corporate meeting dressed like whatshisname or one of his many clones or any form of "costume" simply isn't wise. They can willingly buy a character that goes with an act but I've seen situations where they want the persona tuned down a bit due to the company's conservatism.

Another thing that must be considered as we look at this question is where we perform. David Blaine's first special in 97 was a deliberate kick in the nuts for Copperfield; an odd looking/acting kid with less than a $200.00 investment in props, devastated David's marketability over night. There was a new form of magic being demanded by the general public. The bridge between Copperfield styled magic and what Blaine presented was Angel and in his earlier days as an evolving public personality, he was quite awesome in how he'd refashioned the world of grand illusion. Sadly, success blinded him as it does many and like others, he's stopped evolving as a character. He's no longer "novel" in that there are 1001 KIDS out there trying to mimic his look and antics. . . and if you haven't noticed, most of we older guys consider everyone wearing white face & mascara to be an Angel clone even though a great number of these people aren't stage performers but for some reason believe that the street corner is akin to legit commercial work. Sorry, but in my day that simply wasn't the case even though I've worked plenty of lines over the years outside clubs, so I understand the visibility side of things and getting exposure.

Today there are some new shifts happening, such as the Urban Shaman trend that's been percolating over the past few years; a strange organic direction that's more Pagan in look & style -- a storyteller that makes magic "real" but not necessarily someone that's tied to the bizarre side of magic, which is where we typically find this kind of thing. These performers work with very simple effects, few of which take on the familiarity of say, the Cups & Balls but more akin to Geller's famed Spouting Seedling or a color changing leaf. Where this concept evolves to I haven't a clue, but I do like it; it's a wonderful melding of sidewalk entertainer, the traveling bard, and true pagan perspective.

Magic today and the clothing worn, is mulch-faceted and depends strongly on the venue and market one is targeting. More and more "costumed" persona exist now than we've seen in well over 100 years, possibly more (a lot more), but the business suit still reigns on high, as the "proper" attire for the present day showman.

Pseudo-goth? Faux-goth? I know there is a distinction between Criss (and his wannabes) and someone who has a real character (and a freaking cool top hat with a skull and cross bones). Your character has always struck me as a sightly macabre Victorian gentleman than Criss Angel rocker/goth.

Just giving you a hard time man. Nothing but love! =P

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
The top hat and tails actually started with Kellar, memory serving me right, and was properly adopted by Thurston who was the David Copperfield of his day -- a good looking younger gent that the tail look simply accentuated charm and pizazz around

The top hat and tails was adorned by John Henry Anderson "The Wizard of the North" in 1843. Robert Houdin Wasn't born until 1845. They were contemporaries though. John was one of the first to bring magic to a reputable theater. His act consisted of many of the certifiable classics including the cups and balls, linking rings and he was even one of the first to pull a rabbit from a hat. Towards the end of his career he performed some of Houdin's material including his famous suspension. Because of they were contemporaries and pioneers in their contributions are mixed up at times.

As far as the goatee and curled mustache comes from it started from a general association with the devil but was popularized most famously by Herrmann.

People wore those things in the past because it was the thing to wear. They don't wear them now because styles have changed.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Interesting, never heard that before . . . I just recall the grand illusionists far more than the others of the 19th century. But then, there were a few others well back to the Elizabethan era, that mixed with high society; I recall one or two stories about Scotto and another guy that used to rub elbows with the Founding Fathers of the U.S. that was quite well known for making a dead house fly come back to life . . .

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results