Vapr

Jun 2, 2013
For quite some time now I have considered buying a smoke producing device. At the time, Pure Smoke and Magic Smoke v2 were the top dogs in that category. Now, VAPR has introduced itself.

What edge does VAPR have over Pure Smoke and Magic Smoke? (I know that it is wireless but that alone won't convince me).

baguette

Elite Member
Mar 28, 2013
according to the promo video, its more quiet than puresmoke, requires no battery pack (a few drops from the refill), the setting up is instantaneous, the smoke is better quality,the pipes are very durable and heal themselves in case of rupture.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I posted this last night about someone else that asked about Vapr and pure smoke, this is what I said:

I recently bought Pure Smoke and when I said recently, I mean I got it in the mail about 3 days ago. and was getting super excited. I put it on once, very very gently because I was afraid to break it as I am not use to having things wrapped around my body and such. I got about 15-20 puffs and already the device is broken. I can't get any smoke to come out whatsoever. I changed the batteries, I changed the cartridge I've followed every instruction to the letter and still nothing. Then I find that it seems that many many people have had similar faulty devices. Major let down. I haven't bought anything expensive from Ellusionist in years and thought I'd finally give them another shot and again I was let down...... I didn't even know about VAPR until after I had already received my Ellusionist package. I wish I had waited because my jaw literally dropped when I realized that pretty much all the problems of Pure Smoke were fixed with VAPR. When I save up a little more money I'm definitely gonna get VAPR. Hopefully I can get a refund from Ellusionist since I followed all the instructions and still only got about 15-20 puffs. :/

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
From the reviews I've seen thus far - the smoke produced is equivalent to Pure Smoke. Probably because the actual smoke production device part of it is more or less identical. I assume there's not a lot of variation that can currently take place with such a device, though.

My sticking point is that VAPR is not insignificantly more expensive than Pure Smoke. I've seen it anywhere from $40 to $70 more expensive and honestly, knowing what I know about Pure Smoke, I'm just not convinced that price tag is justified.

Also, with S.S.S. by Shin Lim out there for a fraction of the cost I'm more likely to go that route for future smoke production needs.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
From the reviews I've seen thus far - the smoke produced is equivalent to Pure Smoke.
It boasts thicker, whiter smoke than other smoke devices out there.

It does seem that VAPR is currently the best commercially available smoke device out there but there was a lot of buzz about Pure Smoke and lot's of people have had problems with that so I would wait a while before ordering VAPR.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It boasts that - but from what I've seen it isn't. I can boast that I can lift my roommate's BMW over my head, but until it actually happens that's irrelevant.

The videos I've seen look the same as my Pure Smoke unit. Which is fine, because that's plenty of smoke - but it's not noticeably more.

Jun 2, 2013
If this unit works just as well or even better than what Pure Smoke advertises, then I may just get VAPR. VAPR seems more portable, the cable system seems better, and of course it is wireless. In addition, VAPR comes with 30 extra cartridges, which kind of balances out the two in terms of pricing.

I will most likely ride the same boat as Formula: Wait for more reviews to show up and decide on whether or not I should buy VAPR accordingly.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
In my opinion the Vapr smoke is a bit thicker but more importantly consistent. The nice thing about Vapr is no battery back to deal with or having to wear it under a shirt. It just goes on your arm and yer good to go. For my money tho' the remote is great because I could build Vapr INTO my coat and activate it without the arm trigger.

Jun 13, 2013
Norway
I have had Pure Smoke for over a year though I only used it for about 4 weeks due to the loud sound,thin smoke(after a while) and that it's uncomfortable to wear.
Vapr on the other hand I received yesterday and SansMinds and Will Tsai states that it is super silent but mine's not,in fact it produces a loud noise when used.Though not as loud as Pure Smoke,the smoke however is about the same thickness and it just looks really nice.It can create smoke continuously for 60 seconds,Wireless Remote(I love it!)and it's really nice and comfortable to wear.
Overall I think Vapr beats Pure Smoke though not by much,but if you want either of the 2 I recommend Vapr over Pure Smoke.

P.S If anyone knows how to reduce the noise could you tell me?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
If it's less noise than Pure Smoke - just perform in a bigger space, or with any ambient noise (such as conversation or music).

I've never been called on the noise PS makes, and I've used it in a variety of settings, always with people right next to me.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I was thinking the same thing Bizarro, maybe an ace bandage or that flexible wrap that athletes and doctors use that sticks to itself. Nice suggestion.

Dec 4, 2011
Noise

I have had Pure Smoke for over a year though I only used it for about 4 weeks due to the loud sound,thin smoke(after a while) and that it's uncomfortable to wear.
Vapr on the other hand I received yesterday and SansMinds and Will Tsai states that it is super silent but mine's not,in fact it produces a loud noise when used.Though not as loud as Pure Smoke,the smoke however is about the same thickness and it just looks really nice.It can create smoke continuously for 60 seconds,Wireless Remote(I love it!)and it's really nice and comfortable to wear.
Overall I think Vapr beats Pure Smoke though not by much,but if you want either of the 2 I recommend Vapr over Pure Smoke.

P.S If anyone knows how to reduce the noise could you tell me?

When performing with pure smoke/vapr the noise will be there. If you are in a location with just the slightest bit of background noise like outside or at a party people won't notice anything. Even if you are in a location where there is no noise, people never connect the puffs of smoke with the faint noise. However, I wouldn't reccommend putting out 30 puffs of smoke in such a setting. (my friend told me later that he thought that was a washing machine or something. To the spectators the sound is distant.)

Dec 2, 2013
Problem with VAPR

I received VAPR for Christmas and was really excited unboxing it, and as I followed the instructions on the DVD, I found that I had to unscrew the end of the advice just below the cartridge in order to charge it by USB. It was really really tight and I just couldn't unscrew it. My dad had a go and he just couldn't unscrew it either. We tried twisted it both ways, but it just wouldn't budge. As a last resort, we gently tried using plyers, but stopped very soon after to avoid breaking the device.

I sent it back to the magic suppliers the next day, and as they found they couldn't unscrew it either, they sent me a brand new one. I've just received it today and sadly am having the same problem. It's just so tight! I phoned my magic suppliers about this and they are now concerned. They have heard of one other person who couldn't unscrew it, and another person who randomly mentioned that they had to twist it the opposite way in order to unscrew it. I'm trying it both ways, but it just won't budge. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Does anyone know any techniques to overcome this?

Jul 22, 2013
California
I sent it back to the magic suppliers the next day, and as they found they couldn't unscrew it either, they sent me a brand new one. I've just received it today and sadly am having the same problem. It's just so tight! I phoned my magic suppliers about this and they are now concerned. They have heard of one other person who couldn't unscrew it, and another person who randomly mentioned that they had to twist it the opposite way in order to unscrew it. I'm trying it both ways, but it just won't budge. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Does anyone know any techniques to overcome this?

Sometimes, if you put a small circle of aluminum foil over the screw head, it helps fill in any excess space between the head and the screwdriver, giving you some more grip.

Dec 24, 2013
Left hand screw!!

To unscrew the heater and charge the unit you have to twist opposite the normal direction (CCW to remove) or you will damage the unit. Twist the direction you would normally twist to remove and you are making it tighter.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results