Old Timer Magicians

Aug 31, 2007
Hey Theory11

If you still remember that great video entitled "Chris Kenner Q&A", where Mr Kenner answered a few questions posted my forum members, he mentioned something about "old timers" who "use the same routine and jokes from 50 years ago, and still think it's funny now".

This mild criticism got me thinking. What if Theory11 could be a site where it can include more of these "old timers" in the artist profile? So far, I observe that almost all of the artists on this site are young and very forward thinking.

I am just hoping that if Theory11 were to stick true to their mission of "unity", they should encourage and convince these "old timer" magicians to be part of this site and contribute!

The following video is dedicated to those who don't believe that "old timers" have done anything, or can do anything, for magic today. The video shows an old man, doing a very standard Cups and Balls routine. It's a classic piece of magic, nothing new to it. However, he was pretty much the man who changed the face of close-up sleight of hand magic, and his contributions have impacted magicians even till today.

Some of you may not even have heard of him, and thus I decided to share this with you.

He is the legendary Mr Dai Vernon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De2tyFK8WA0

Enjoy.

- harapan. magic!

P.S. By the way, don't bother trying to invite Mr Vernon on this site. He's passed away.

Nov 30, 2007
That would be amazing! I would love to have a 1 on 1 about cups and balls or something like that. Great idea!

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
Well, the fact is that Theory11 is a shop that sells "new" magic. Considering that fact, to me it seems like that "uniting magicians" is a marketing strategy to get as many customers as possible.

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
I can't stand things like this. We're fed this idea that we should "respect" old magicians and "aspire" to be like them. I find it disguisting. To me, magic is all about looking towards the future, and progressing the art. The magic community is almost like a mini-society. It seems that everybody is so brain-washed by others opinions that they miss out on what magic truly has to offer.

Like I've said before... **** the old guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Melbourne
I can't stand things like this. We're fed this idea that we should "respect" old magicians and "aspire" to be like them. I find it disguisting. To me, magic is all about looking towards the future, and progressing the art. The magic community is almost like a mini-society. It seems that everybody is so brain-washed by others opinions that they miss out on what magic truly has to offer.

Somebody needs to take a chill pill..... relax yo..

anyway, respect is given where respect is due, and I think there definitely are a lot of old magicians that deserve our respect
Hofsinzer, Malini, Slydini, Vernon, Miller, Jennings, Tommy Wonder, Tamariz, Lavand, and the list goes on and on.
Without them the Art of Magic would not be where it is now.
Also, when people say they 'aspire' to be like the old magicians, they probably mean they want to be great and creative like them so they can contribute to the art, not that they wanna perform like them.....

Anybody else have opinions?

Aug 31, 2007
Mr Landels

I would like to just remind you (and everybody) here that all these "new magic" - and in fact all of us budding magicians - won't be here if not for the old guys who were committed to the art of magic back then. Is that not true?

Why shouldn't we respect these old magicians? Why do you find it disgusting? Please elaborate, thanks.

Magic (and in fact, pretty much anything) is always about looking towards the future, and progressing the art. I am not asking for a return to "old times" - I am simply asking for everybody to at least have knowledge of the people who worked hard in the past to bring to where it is today.

We don't necessarily have to "aspire" to be them. I mean, if you have watched some really old clips of magicians, some of the card sleights (DLs, etc) use really old and unnatural techniques that by today's standards, would be instantly labelled as poor handling.

Magic has progressed in the past few decades really quickly. New techniques and moves are being invented to replace old methods. But I feel that if there's something we can aspire to be like, it's that attitude that they possess, and which lacks among many magic beginners today. Again, it's that trend where beginners start showing off and think they're the greatest after learning a few tricks on Youtube. I would say that most, if not all, of these "old timers" have a more positive attitude towards learning magic, since they had learnt it all "the hard way".

I still believe that building a link between what is often labelled as "old school" and "new school" can really bring something unique to magic. We need to pass on the knowledge and attitude of the "old timers" on to this generation. I believe this way, the art of magic can truly be furthered to new heights, compared to staying within our circle of "new school" and therefore limiting ourselves.

Mr Landels, by looking back in magic's history and its historical figures isn't going to make people "miss out on what magic has to truly offer". In fact, it's the exact opposite...

Don't **** the old guys, please.

For those who wish to see the "bad double lift" I was talking about, here's a clip of this "old timer" magician and gambling expert, Jay Ose. It comes at the end of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KQiuvX1xKI

EDIT: Come to think of it, his DL isn't all that bad. It's just that in modern days, there are better, more matural methods.

- harapan. magic!

Sep 1, 2007
"**** the old guys"?

Geez, this ellusionist-generation doesn't know how to pay respect at all.

I don't feel like going into that very much but I'd like to say two very minor things:

1) You will find million times better (stronger, more practical) material from books written by the so-called "old guys", than from any website or DVD.

2) Fred Kaps would still win todays FISM.

Dec 28, 2007
Finland

By understanding the past we can make the future.

Most people who argue against learning from the "old guys" say that we should look at the future and beo urselves without copying anybody. Where do they learn their tricks? From Trilogy. They don't look to the future, they just wait for newest DVD from some big name.

But, although new sleights have been developed since the times of Vernon, I think everyone could have learned from his experience.

It is impossible to look to the future without understanding and respecting the past. Respecting experience doesn't mean one can't look to the future.

Jan 11, 2008
New york
I know this guy must have misunderstood that one part in Dai vernon's "Triumph" routine. your not supose to show them you can strip the cards out the other end of the deck after a Riffle shuffle, It should be a Riffle shuffle then cut the cards a riffle shuffle and cut the cards again.For those who wish to see the "bad double lift"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KQiuvX1xKI

Oct 24, 2007
Really, if you think about it, magic hasn't changed much. What I mean is this, the methods haven't changed much. Most so called "new" tricks are tricks that were put out a hundred years ago. I mean, Stigmata was sold over a hundred years ago to psychics for $1. Most of the "old timers" developed a lot of the tricks we use today. So I respect them for that.

Just a side note, I think that new sleights and tricks have been made, but most have already been made.

But, as for the old timers, their presentation isn't for this day and age. As Chris Kenner said, "old timers use the same routine and jokes from 50 years ago, and still think it's funny now", and it's not funny now. It's not funny now because the future has changed.

The "old timers" would present tricks with stories as some sort of mystical thing. This day and age, we don't present tricks as mystical, but rather as something freaky and out of this world.

So, look back on them for making the tricks we use today, but don't use their performance ideas or presentation. Create your own new modern style. ;) Peace!

Tyler

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
<rest of post>

It seems that everybody is so brain-washed by others opinions that they miss out on what magic truly has to offer.

The irony of those two statements makes my head hurt.

Besides, if it wasn't for those "old guys," you wouldn't have this art to practice.

Have some respect for those who laid the foundation for you to be able to say "**** the old guys." *shakes head*

The magic community is almost like a mini-society.

I'm getting tired of people new to magic trying to make this an elite society. (Not saying that was the intention of that comment)

I have been finding it very sad that magic has become like bands in high schools. They do it because it's cool, as opposed for pure enjoyment. Then take it upon themselves to become the flag bearer, and think they have the right to judge others with little or no actual experience themselves. They buy an effect, learn it, practice a small bit, then go and perform, calling themselves a magician. (Not saying this is what you've done, buuuut a good bit of new magicians have been following this trend)

Do something for me, any of you who think we shouldn't care about the past. Pick up a book that isn't bought on Ellusionist or Theory11. Like Expert at the Card Table, Expert Card Techniques, or heck, even Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic, and read it cover to cover.

I cringe when I see "What effect should I buy next? I have some money. Oh, I hate gimmicks lol" Perfect three routines until you can do them in your sleep. If any of you have seen Semi-Pro, there is one scene that relates to this. Woody Harrelson makes the team run a play over and over again until they are sick of it, but can do it in their sleep. Its the play they can rely on if they can't think. Get down three effects like this. Three effects where you have the muscle memory to them and don't even have to think to pull of the sleights involved. Or, buy one of the books I mentioned above and learn the moves from them. That will keep you busy for a nice long time. Then, you'd be set for once you learn them.

The performance style of the older magicians may be outdated, but that doesn't mean they deserve any less respect. And some of the same effects are in use today, just with an updated patter.

Tyler Johnson said:
This day and age, we don't present tricks as mystical, but rather as something freaky and out of this world.

...whats the difference? :p

Sorry for that long post, but it's been getting on my nerves seeing all this happen.

-ThrallMind

Aug 31, 2007
UK

You may aswell be banned for that post, you clearly have no respect for magic as an art. Go back to ellusionist and download some "new" magic, kid.

See...this is the sort of crap that pisses me off. Corey, you need to apologize for your post. Step up and handle this like a man. It was out of line and not needed. That's non-negotiable IMO.

Secondly, yes, we do need to respect those that have paved the road. Guys such as Dai Vernon, Harry Lorayne, Mark Wilson, Denny Haney, Johnny Thompson, and soooo many more that have taken this art to the next level. Without those guys, who knows where we'd be?

I think many people get the wrong idea about older performers not liking new kids getting started and stuff...that's not the mentality at all. From speaking with many "old" magicians, as you guys call them, it's the way they get started and the way they're lead into this art that irritates them. The $20 instant downloads, the "street magic" BS that seems so popular, the Ellusionist image (and yes, Theory11 seems to be just another Ellusionist IMO), etc.

Personally, I love hanging out with the big names in magic...the greats in magic. I've learn more watching Denny Haney doing a brief egg bag routine in 5 minutes than I've learn on most forums! Just watching them perform and seeing how they handle themselves is magic right there...and personally, I think it's just disgusting how the "new kids" in magic seem to think that they're doing something wrong. I'll be honest and say I know that not one single person on these forums could hold a candle to the guys I listed above...the greats in magic.

I've heard stories of Harry Lorayne entertaining a group of folks in a hotel lobby for 2 hours with just a SINGLE DECK OF CARDS. I've heard of Denny Haney destroying an audience with the classics of magic, such as the Multiplying Bottles, that so many people seem to put down these days. Hell, he even has a video on Youtube of it, and it has to be one of my favorite videos EVER! I've seen footage of Don Alan performing the chop cup routine to 1500 people at a sold out show to a STANDING OVATION!

I don't know why we're sitting here bashing them, when we should be picking their brains and trying to LEARN FROM THEM. What I would give to spend a day with one of those guys, asking question after question and trying to learn as much as I could. Why? Because they're literally, BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT! They've had shows that have been less than great, and then performed to sold out crowds! Most of them have performed in every situation imaginable, and a few that you can't even think of performing in. They know their stuff, and know far more than most want to give them credit for.

Without a lot of the greats in magic, there wouldn't be Daniel Gracia, Justin Miller, Chris Kenner, Wayne Houchin...the guys most of you drool over and would give both your legs to hang out with. Most of magic came from these guys...sleights to tricks, most of it's been done before. In fact, it's pretty damn hard to come up with something completely original this day in age, ESPECIALLY with cards. They've done so much to progress this art, that giving them anything less than 200% of your complete respect is just you being an *******.

Am I taking this to seriously? Perhaps, but I've seen first hand complete disrespect to a lot of older magicians that makes them not like the younger generation. Then I've learned so much from watching a VHS tape of those guys performing, and just completely amazed at how they're composing themselves, and the dedication and time spent on the PERFORMANCE aspect. After seeing footage like that, it's no wonder how they went on to make a name for themselves in this art.

And then people turn around and talk ****.....

But, as for the old timers, their presentation isn't for this day and age. As Chris Kenner said, "old timers use the same routine and jokes from 50 years ago, and still think it's funny now", and it's not funny now. It's not funny now because the future has changed.

The "old timers" would present tricks with stories as some sort of mystical thing. This day and age, we don't present tricks as mystical, but rather as something freaky and out of this world.

Let that be your opinion, and your alone. I for one would never present my magic as "freaky and out of this world." That seems to be something that has developed because of DB and CA....how is anyone to say it is more right or wrong than the way magic was presented 100 years ago? That is an argument that can't be made with any proof of the matter...at. all.

Denny Haney once performed sponge bunnies for me a few ears ago, and I was almost in tears it was that funny. And so was everyone else in the shop too. That's the way he's been performing it for years, and it's shows in a good way. To make that statement that CK made is perhaps speaking for a few, and cannot be made of all "old timers". Just like a lot of the "card punks" that seem to be around this day and age help make up the opinion of older magicians for ALL kids. That is not fair for either group. Then again, is seperating the "old timers" versus the "card punks" helping anyone? It sure isn't hurting the greats in this art, but sadly the same can't be said for the younger generation. I think a lot of the younger kids are missing out on lots of knowledge by eliminating the "old timers" from their collection of T11 and Ellusionist dvds....

So, look back on them for making the tricks we use today, but don't use their performance ideas or presentation. Create your own new modern style. ;) Peace!
Tyler

How can one say not to use their performance ideas or presentations?? I've been using Max Malini's presentation for the Malini Egg Bag and IT KILLS! The Don Alan chop cup routine is a classic in magic, and IT KILLS! These are all presentations from "old timers" and you know what...they were developed for REAL PEOPLE and to be performed in front of lay audiences in PERFORMING VENUES. Not the "new" stuff today that is more like hit and run magic, where the proper routining isn't anywhere close to where it should be. Today it seems, the "cool" thing to do is stalk someone on the "street" and show them 30 seconds of magic and call it a show.

Somehow, this has become more acceptable this day in age, but I still don't think that makes it completely ok.

Just my thoughts...not an attack at Tyler, Corey, or anyone else for that matter. :)

-Steve

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Steve Simmons said:
Am I taking this to seriously? Perhaps, but I've seen first hand complete disrespect to a lot of older magicians that makes them not like the younger generation. Then I've learned so much from watching a VHS tape of those guys performing, and just completely amazed at how they're composing themselves, and the dedication and time spent on the PERFORMANCE aspect. After seeing footage like that, it's no wonder how they went on to make a name for themselves in this art.

You aren't taking this too seriously at all, man. What was said is the equivalent of an artist saying "Screw Picasso, Da Vinci, Monet. Who cares about them?"

Its just 100% pure disrespectful to the origin of magic.

-ThrallMind

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I don't know about that. Theory 11 is about the new stuff. And the stereotypical thoughts of the public of a magician is either geeky teens or old guys in tuxes in las vegas. Sure they might be entertained but they aren't looking at it as an artform but more like a comedy routine. If we want magic to grow as an artform we need to broadcast it in modern day times. I have all respect for the "old timer" magicians though sometimes when I see them on tv it upsets me to see that magic still is being shown as like cheap novilty.

Dec 2, 2007
Its hard to respect the "old timers" if the "old timers" don't respect the future of magic. I was taught in order to get respect you must give it.

DM

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
So you want to add some old guys to the artists profile? Well, I don't know. Is this just to pay resect or for something else? Can you clarify.

Its hard to respect the "old timers" if the "old timers" don't respect the future of magic. I was taught in order to get respect you must give it.

DM

That could also be turned around to mean the exact same thing. If the kids don't respect the elders, why should the elders respect the kids?

Of course, the "old timers" have already paid their dues, thus they should be given a certain level of respect regardless. The same goes to teachers, officers, etc.

Just my thoughts...
Steve

Sep 1, 2007
Hey, old people are cool.

Here's what I'll say. I've had experiences in which I saw old magicians perform who were, well, past their prime. This does not at all mean that they don't have anything to offer. I mean, just look at some musicians. They get arthritis and can't play like they used to be able to. But their experiences are still invaluable.

I mean, yeah, we try to be progressive, we even try to break out of the mold, but that's just what those "old timers" did.

I don't care if you want to completely disregard that which has brought magic to the point at which it now exists, just don't be an a-hole about it.

I one saw this magician perform who was using all these jokes and tricks that were probably straight out of his performances he did in the seventies. I mean, just really cheesy cringe-worthy tricks and patter. He's a guy I know and have talked to before (in fact there's a thread buried away in which I discuss it and argue about it). And while I would never dream about doing stuff the way he does, he still knows his craft probably better than I may ever.

I have learned a lot from him, not "what not to do," but how to actually be a better performer. I can take his experiences and adapt them for my own performances. No reason to blow it off and think myself superior.

Just be cool.

Sep 1, 2007
I don't know about that. Theory 11 is about the new stuff. And the stereotypical thoughts of the public of a magician is either geeky teens or old guys in tuxes in las vegas. Sure they might be entertained but they aren't looking at it as an artform but more like a comedy routine. If we want magic to grow as an artform we need to broadcast it in modern day times. I have all respect for the "old timer" magicians though sometimes when I see them on tv it upsets me to see that magic still is being shown as like cheap novilty.

All I'll say is Dai Vernon's handling of 3CM is better than most of the tricks I see on E. All tricks can be updated to be congruent with the times. Magic doesn't always have to be hardcore surgical visual penetration with fire and blood.

Da Vanci will always be more of an artist in my mind than Warhol (nothing against Campbell's Soup).

If you want magic to grow as an art form, treat it as an art form ("artform" is two words, by the way).

Vernon sure didn't treat magic as a novelty. Ricky Jay doesn't. Paul Harris doesn't. Chris Kenner sure as hell doesn't.

Most stuff on TV is turned into a cheap novelty, by the way, but, David Blaine isn't. So that pretty much kills that argument (although Criss Angel is not helping my case).

Alright. Crazy awesome. I hope I don't get in trouble for double posting...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results