10% Trick, 90% Magic

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
Enlighten me, what are the different goals between mentalists and magicians? You seem to be implying that magic is lower then mentalism presentation wise. Furthermore great story, everyone loves a cheeky prank. *Sarcasm*

"And as I'm journeying into the realm of mentalism, the perspective has shifted from being "look down at my hands, you'll see magic in my cards" into "look into my eyes, and I'll change everything you believe in...With just tricks, you CAN NOT show them something that disproves or questions their beliefs"

"What presentation you focus on will Never be the focus of your tricks. Taking the example trick of the 4 Queens, the focus will always be the 4 Queens...For Mentalists, presentation is Everything."

"Making it more about the Mentalist than about the sleights he does."

"And about the ratio comparison - it's not just about the ratio of tricks to presentation, it's more about WHAT you presenting. Magic is presenting something you can do, mentalism is presenting something about the Mentalist and, in some instances, about the spectators themselves."

ok i was reading the same posts as everybody else then. ok, i dont feel like a total jerk anymore.

Jan 16, 2008
Furthermore great story, everyone loves a cheeky prank. *Sarcasm*

"And as I'm journeying into the realm of mentalism, the perspective has shifted from being "look down at my hands, you'll see magic in my cards" into "look into my eyes, and I'll change everything you believe in...With just tricks, you CAN NOT show them something that disproves or questions their beliefs"

You really think the focus of my story was to tell of how I pranked my friend?

Regarding your second quote, I still stand by my point. Notice I said "With JUST tricks", not with Magic as a whole. With just tricks, the impact will not be as strong as a trick with much more presentation revolving around it, building it up, supporting it. And how is it that you are seeing me imply that magic is lower than mentalism presentation wise? Besides, that was not the main focus behind my story, it was more about how your presentation can make your simple "tricks" so much stronger, and bring out more potential than if they were presented as simple tricks to fool spectators.

@Sidekick - Yes you are correct in saying both mentalists and magicians present things they can do. But this thread was never meant to start a debate between mentalism vs. magic. Please, understand.
And yes, in mentalism, Mentalists usually present things about themselves, bringing their persona and character to the stage/streets as well as their tricks. Persona and character are truly essential aspects of mentalism; that's why I THINK magic and mentalism are different, because of their different focusses. I'm definitely not implying in any form that magic is better or worst than mentalism, and please remember my story, and not think of this debate (that was never meant to be) be the sole purpose of this thread.

Jan 16, 2008
ok i was reading the same posts as everybody else then. ok, i dont feel like a total jerk anymore.

You were never a jerk, but you did get me puzzled.
I am still yet to find someone who can discover the true focus behind my thread. Or am I just not meant to express myself this way(?)

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I have been watching this at a distance and decided to weigh in on it.

Intellectually people know that magic is not real, no matter how well the suspend their belief for ultmately they come back to reality. Mentalism when performed well has the ability to have the audience accept your lie. The most modern example of this is Derren Brown and to this day people talk about his pseudo methods as if they are the real ones. But it goes futher than that, look at Geller he convinced a fairly large percentage of the world that he was genuine. Banachek even has university certification that he is the real deal. And to this day many many people still believe in psychics. But that is enough on that topic for now.

If we take a classic of magic and the performance of it from two of the biggest names, Blaine and Copperfield. The both have very different takes on the levetation plot. If you were to look at Copperfields it is a very beautiful illousion which has many systems in play to help cancel out certain methods that the audience may come up with. However at the end of it the audience claps and takes it as a beautiful trick, because if he could fly that would change everything. On the other hand Blaine did a hidden classic that nobody really used and atleast at the start made it real. Looking at the two methods back to back Blaines requires far less work and only lasted a few seconds. However if you watched both and the reactions that they achieved one is percieved as a very clever thing of beauty and the other was concieved as being borderline real.

This is why oldavid1 percieves mentalism to be stronge because the doubt you can create is that much stronger and inturn leads people to accepting what you are doing as real.

Jan 16, 2008
This is why oldavid1 percieves mentalism to be strong because the doubt you can create is that much stronger and in turn leads people to accepting what you are doing as real.

Yes, that, in essence, is what I was trying to portray. The Doubt that you can induce into your audience will impact them in ways that simple tricks can never achieve.
I really want magicians here to understand this fact, and apply it into whatever tricks they do, from the very, very BASIC tricks (double-lift) to the more complex and sophisticated tricks (perhaps Clipshift?).
Try it, make a plausible presentation - whether it be scientific or "magical" - and really strive to make your audience DOUBT: About what they believe is reality, about their paradigms, and about the impossibilities in life - or rather, the Possibilities.
For isn't that what Magic is? Making the impossible, possible.
Make your Magic Real.

To be frank, I struggle to be taken seriously yet, since everyone I've performed for know already that I am a magician, not as a mentalist. They all think I'm doing mere "tricks". I consider my duty as the Mentalist to show them what is ParaNormal; blow their brains, then piece it back together again in ways they never thought possible.

Thanks D ICE R.:)

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
Yes, that, in essence, is what I was trying to portray. The Doubt that you can induce into your audience will impact them in ways that simple tricks can never achieve.
I really want magicians here to understand this fact, and apply it into whatever tricks they do, from the very, very BASIC tricks (double-lift) to the more complex and sophisticated tricks (perhaps Clipshift?).
Try it, make a plausible presentation - whether it be scientific or "magical" - and really strive to make your audience DOUBT: About what they believe is reality, about their paradigms, and about the impossibilities in life - or rather, the Possibilities.
For isn't that what Magic is? Making the impossible, possible.
Make your Magic Real.

the goal of magic is to get beyond the intellect by baffling it and not giving it a possible explanation, and then taking the emotions on a roller-coaster ride.

Jan 16, 2008
Are you referring my quote "Try..make a plausible explanation"?
If you are, well, bad diction on my part. I think it's a difficult task for me to explain what I think regarding this, so I shall explain in the days to come.
But as a (bad?) example, let's take Derren Brown. He admits he is not psychic, and claims to be using some form of NLP, cold reading, etc. The explanations he offers ARE believable, yet at the same time...miraculous. Let's think for a moment; How then can we BELIEVE in MAGIC? You said "the goal of magic is to get beyond the intellect by baffling it", and I believe Derren has accomplished that, to "get beyond the intellect" and most definitely "baffling it". So is he doing Magic?
"And not giving it a possible explanation"...again, Derren "uses" NLP, possible explanation?

I really think I'm dragging myself deeper into these tiny debates...please, Web, anything regarding my initial story?

Nov 7, 2009
I highly agree with everything you said. So much of today's magic is branched from the Dan and Dave sleight-heavy tricks and dragged on performances. What hits 'em hard are the simple tricks. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. I love doing the simple tricks, it lets you focus on your performance, like you said. So much of the trick comes from the performance itself and the way you bring it about. I'm waiting for the day when I start to see kids like me doing the simple tricks. I see about 10-15 sleights in almost every video by a kid. They are working way too hard and wasting their time learning sleights they will forget later, just to perform for a camera. I don't see how productive it is, but that's just the way I see it.

Cheers everyone,

Casey

I feel thats the reason magic isnt progressing.

Jan 16, 2008
Thanks Alex!
That was quite an interesting read, and such similar ideas to mine. But you went much more indepth.

Cheers.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results