2 Questions on the Royal Road to Card Magic book

Jun 26, 2016
Hi!

My name is Alex and I am very new to magic(I just started actually). Right now, all that I have is a bicycle deck of cards and the Royal Road to Card magic book. So far, I really enjoy studying the book and practicing.

A magician friend of mine told me to start learning the pinky count and the double undercut. I was wondering where in the book could I learn the pinky count and the double undercut? I found "the undercut" on chapter I: The Overhand Shuffle, I at page 8. Is "the undercut" the same as the double undercut?

I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me the page number in the book where I could learn the pinky count and the double undercut.

Sorry if my English is bad because it is not my primary language. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

- Alex -

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Hi!

My name is Alex and I am very new to magic(I just started actually). Right now, all that I have is a bicycle deck of cards and the Royal Road to Card magic book. So far, I really enjoy studying the book and practicing.

A magician friend of mine told me to start learning the pinky count and the double undercut. I was wondering where in the book could I learn the pinky count and the double undercut? I found "the undercut" on chapter I: The Overhand Shuffle, I at page 8. Is "the undercut" the same as the double undercut?

I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me the page number in the book where I could learn the pinky count and the double undercut.

Sorry if my English is bad because it is not my primary language. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

- Alex -

You won't find the pinky count on any page in The Royal Road to Card Magic because it is not in there. It is primarily a book for beginners so you aren't going to find any advanced sleights such as the pinky count and the double-undercut. The Undercut that they explain on page 8 is a little different than the double-undercut that you are thinking about. If you buy Card College 1-5 however you will find the pinky count and the under-cut , double undercut and much, much more. Don't get me wrong I love The Royal Road to Card Magic , it is the definitive text on card magic, and you can't beat the price. It really depends on how far you want to take your card magic. What are your goals , do you want to just impress a couple of friends, or are you aiming to become a full fledged professional card magician?? Either way you will have to read The Royal Road to Card Magic. If you are still interested in the subject after reading and re-reading The Royal Road to Card Magic, then I would suggest buying Card College Volume 1 and 2.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
You won't find the pinky count on any page in The Royal Road to Card Magic because it is not in there. It is primarily a book for beginners so you aren't going to find any advanced sleights such as the pinky count and the double-undercut. The Undercut that they explain on page 8 is a little different than the double-undercut that you are thinking about. If you buy Card College 1-5 however you will find the pinky count and the under-cut , double undercut and much, much more. Don't get me wrong I love The Royal Road to Card Magic , it is the definitive text on card magic, and you can't beat the price. It really depends on how far you want to take your card magic. What are your goals , do you want to just impress a couple of friends, or are you aiming to become a full fledged professional card magician?? Either way you will have to read The Royal Road to Card Magic. If you are still interested in the subject after reading and re-reading The Royal Road to Card Magic, then I would suggest buying Card College Volume 1 and 2.

I wouldn't call the double undercut an advanced sleight. It's one of the basics, no?

Jun 26, 2016

Hi Gabriel! Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I am not aiming to become a full fledged professional card magician because this is just my hobby to perform for friends to make them happy. Even if it is just a hobby, I would still want to take this seriously and be able to perform well as a respect to this art form.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
I wish you the best of luck. One more thing.... Try to get yourself a camera so you can record yourself performing sleights... You would be surprised how you will improve tenfold by watching what you do wrong and correcting it.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The Double Undercut can be found in The Magic of LePaul, which is a very good and inexpensive book. It also is in the Stars of Magic book which is more expensive but is a beautiful piece of history packed with classic routines.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results