360 degrees

Apr 9, 2008
Singapore
Hi everyone, I just came back after performing for a group of friends. I have never been in this situation before, where I am surrounded by people almost 360 degrees around me at the table. I met several obstacles and I would like to listen to your opinions.

Firstly, how do you perform sleights that requires a break, like the riffle force? the spectators on the left or right sides would be able to see the thumb or pinky break?

Secondly, how would you get yourself out of such situations? or what kind of card tricks would you do? (only card tricks)

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Hi everyone, I just came back after performing for a group of friends. I have never been in this situation before, where I am surrounded by people almost 360 degrees around me at the table. I met several obstacles and I would like to listen to your opinions.

Firstly, how do you perform sleights that requires a break, like the riffle force? the spectators on the left or right sides would be able to see the thumb or pinky break?

Secondly, how would you get yourself out of such situations? or what kind of card tricks would you do? (only card tricks)

Most of those problems are actually small and can be covered with misdirection,larger actions, physical cover, or simply not giving a damn. I belong in the latter category and its always worked.
Just keep a real small break. Dont be paranoid.

Apr 9, 2008
Singapore
My pinky break and thumb break are slightly less than 0.5cm, is that too large?

I know misdirection, larger actions and physical cover can cover these problems. But large actions can't be carried out so often especially when there isn't a need for me to do so. Physical cover does work (like Aaron Fisher's Search and Destroy) but I can't always be facing towards someone while performing. Lastly, I did use some misdirection but there were some wary ones who kept their eyes on my hands.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
My pinky break and thumb break are slightly less than 0.5cm, is that too large?

I know misdirection, larger actions and physical cover can cover these problems. But large actions can't be carried out so often especially when there isn't a need for me to do so. Physical cover does work (like Aaron Fisher's Search and Destroy) but I can't always be facing towards someone while performing. Lastly, I did use some misdirection but there were some wary ones who kept their eyes on my hands.

Your break is fine.
Dont make the deck the important part of the magic.Make it seem unimportant and just a tool(which it is).
Relax your hands at your sides while keeping a break.Let them hold on to the cards when you dont have to.Stop fiddling with it if you do that.All those unconscious things make a huge difference

Apr 9, 2008
Singapore
Your break is fine.
Dont make the deck the important part of the magic.Make it seem unimportant and just a tool(which it is).
Relax your hands at your sides while keeping a break.Let them hold on to the cards when you dont have to.Stop fiddling with it if you do that.All those unconscious things make a huge difference

Ah,I just remember Aaron Fisher's tip to relax the hand by my sides. However,I was performing while sitting at the table, hence I couldn't keep my hands at my sides, they had to be on the table. I never fiddle with my cards and in truth, my break was not seen during my performance. The only mistake which I know I made was flashing the bottom card while I was spreading the cards to obtain a pinky break at the bottom while performing David Stone's "Ghost" (my friend told me about the flash).

However, I'm a very cautious amateur magician and I try my best to make sure that my performance will have no weaknesses (bad angles, flashing etc). Hence, I tend to be paranoid and usually think about the worse case scenario.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results