5 Minute Routine Help

May 8, 2009
Okay, so I've got this talent show thing coming up, which is really big in my area, scouts and all that jazz, and so I auditioned and now have a 5 minute slot in the program where I have do some sort of routine. Right now I am thinking of doing the vanishing bandana followed by bowling ball and then I would end with something of my own. I've timed that out and with transitions it meets the five minute deadline. I was just wandering if any of you had other ideas on what I could do instead or what you think might work better.

Vorezo

Elite Member
Mar 21, 2009
Wow when i clicked this i thought it ws gonna relate to Five lol.

As for your act, I think you should open with the bowling ball (assuming it is a production) as in my experience (when starting out in stage shows, talent shows) it is best to open with something fast and visual. I have done school talent shows opening with stuff like vanishing ketchup bottle and a comedy type prediction (different shows of corse)...The auidence was led on as the show was going to be a corny show but of corse that was changed. Opening with the vanishing bandana will lead your audience for 3 minutes of the entire show being... Well corny-ish haha. Although it isnt and depending on how you act could change everything. Or how kids know you at school.

My first talent show i ever did, i opened with an appearing cane, i just did it without saying anything. This gained their attention completly and i could have farted (best not to on stage) and they woulda clapped. Same as the bowling ball production, they will gain respect for you right away keeping them fully interested in the vanishing bandana.

Of corse not knowing you and how you act on stage this may be no help to you. I currently always open with something somewhat corny, or sucker effect now cause of the way i want my charactar to be, same could go for you? But from what i read itd be best to open with the bowling ball production. Especially if there are "scouts" in the crowd. You want them entertained from the start lol!

Also what is your closer? Is it a funny or serious routine?

And this is just my 2 cents, could be no help as i too am learining!

It doesn't really matter what anyone else says. It's not their gig. Any material suggested that you don't already know will have a learning curve to it. A talent show isn't the right format to debute untested material. Especially if there are going to be scouts there. You're much better off doing a card trick you know inside and out while sleeping than some flashy stage illusion that you bought a week ago on a suggestion, and have had no time to rehurse or hammer out the details on.

If you want to test out C list material then go work a resteraunt. For a talent show it should be your A material only.

Im curious, is 5 minutes really that long to do 3 effects? Okay 2 effects but still!?
Find it hard to beleave since some of my effects are 5 minutes long.
Anyway, Draven said all the other stuff already and theres really nothing to add.

Mikk.

Dec 24, 2009
Do one effect, it's all you need. However if necessary do two effects strung together as one if you really need to.

Fiber Optics
Jumbo Cards Here Then There

Just a few ideas, and stage magic for a five minute act is not difficult you have to believe me on this one. Anything past 30 minutes will work you but five minutes is plenty of time to impress some people but won't strain your performance skills.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The real thing that I see so many magician's fail on is their act goes nowhere.

I see that in your show you make a bandana disappear and then a bowling ball appear. I am sorry but were is the flow? If anything I would make the bandanna appear than talk about making it disappear and then go onto the effect (I am assuming you are talking about the one that comes with the CD).

Otherwise you could make the bandana appear do a different vanish but (swear word) it up. Finally say you need to consult the instructions again. And kick the audience in the teeth.

EDIT: Sorry, I got the effects mixed up well but the point is there try to make the your show (no matter how short) flow from beginning to end.

A secondary idea is to pack your magic bag and your lunch bag or mis-pack it.
Having a friend come up to you just before you start your show and deliver your 'props' just a few ideas as to make the show have a story behind it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he had more than 5 minutes Dicer then I would most certainly agree with you. However a 5 minute set gives you no time to establish a character let alone connect with your audience.

I do agree with you though. Anyother time you'd be dead on right. But given the set time, I think what is important for him is to walk out there, perform strong, knock them over with some powerful magic, take a bow, and get off stage.

May 8, 2009
As for flow, I completely agree there needs to be flow in routines; however, as I have only 5 minutes, the flow will have to be through patter rather than the trick itself. And to answer another question, yes I was planning on making this a comic routine. Right after my earlier post, I saw on youtube Tony Blanco perform at the magic castle and he had nearly the exact same closer as I had which is displaying a piece of cloth and with a flick, the phrase "THE END" appears on it, so I guess my idea wasn't to original. As for having multiple tricks, I do feel that that would be stronger and when I auditioned they said I should try to fit in at least two tricks in the alloted 5 minute slot. I would like to thank you all so much for your input thus far, it has been really helpful, and Vorezo, that is a good idea to begin with the bowling ball.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
5 minutes is not enough time to develop a character to your audience. However it is more than enough to tell a story. Justin Kredible did it with the vanishing bandana as show on youtube.

Quality of quantity, I would rather see a very well done, impacting effect than several shoddy effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ8x8SQvDxU

Here is a very simple effect, but he strung it out with a story which ended up making it extreamly impacting to the audience. I suggest something along these lines, good luck.

Beautiful, beautiful!
Very few can use a story for patter but this was awesome. The body language, the music, the tone of voice. This is theatrics at work!

Mikk.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results