A birthday show for children

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Hello, I don't particularly post on here about gigs and whatnot, mostly because I don't actively seek those.

However, recently, one of my professor asked me to do a birthday party for his 5 year old son and his friend (age ranging from 2-5 I've been told, but I figured it could be up to 7 and not sure if that makes any difference.)
I told him I'd get back to him late February when everything settles down for me and here I am.
The party is tentatively scheduled at May and I have 30-60 minutes, and I think it's going to be reasonable to keep it to 45 minutes (children's attention span and whatnot).

Here lies the issue, my effects thus far has been more 'adult themed' in philosophical level and the jokes are better understood by young adults. So I'm in a little bit of a pickle, but I still have ample time to practice new routines.

As of current, I am planning on doing Rocky Raccoon (something I've been doing in various talent shows, and it's about 8 minutes) and sponge bunny routine (which I believe depending on reactions, can go up to 8 minutes also). So I need something to entertain children for another 30 minutes or so.

I was hoping some of you guys can open my eyes to different routines, (perhaps same routines that I already know but different presentations), children's behavior (attention span, what wows them, etc), and pretty much any tip will be useful to me and appreciate.

I highlighted what I think is relatively important with Blue, but of course any tips are appreciated.

Thanks.

I remember seeing Silly Billy I think performing for kids on the street. He did a simple silk vanish. But he would push it into his hand and it would fall on the floor and all the kids would laugh and scream as he didn't realize it was on the ground. He did this two times and the third time POOF! it was GONE!

This might give you a little idea of how to have fun with kids? I never tried kids, my performances are not for them they hate card magic!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Ash,
Children who are ages 2-5 are NOT going to be able to sit for 45 minutes nor will the young ones (2-3) going to understand much of what is going on. Trust me on this. I do not even perform children's shows or birthday party shows unless they are 5 and over. I tried it numerous times and failed.
Rocky Raccoon and Sponge bunnies are both great choices should you continue to do the show anyway. I am at my daughter's dance practice right now and have to head home but later on tonight I will give you some more ideas / effects that will play well for you. I would definitely stay away from card effects for that range unless it has some comedy involved and uses jumbo cards.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Silk vanishes with a Thumb Tip are fine and they will enjoy that.

Do NOT stick things in your mouth with this particular age group because..."monkey see monkey do" and you don't want a lawsuit on your hand if a child sticks a coin, crayon, etc. in his or her mouth and chokes.

Misers Dream with plucking coins from a child or having them throw imaginary coins up to your bucket plays well with these kids.

D'Lites will play well for this age group if the atmosphere in conducive to it.
A Stiff Rope routine is great with some funny patter.

Magic Coloring book is fun as long as you incorporate something other than the standard, "I forgot my crayons, pluck colors off your clothes and throw them at the book." You can do so much more than that .

Peanut Butter and Jelly routine is good.

A Change Bag routine can be fun. I like to put pop corn seeds in the bag and then pop it over the child's head and have popcorn fly out everywhere.

Be Ready for EVERY child to come up to you even in mid routine and want to help you out. Ha Ha.
Be Ready for kids to yell out things like, "I know how you did that" or "This stinks...seen this one before" Depending on how you handle the situation or acknowledge certain comments it can make or break your show / rapport with the kids or adults. I've seen it go either way.

The age range of 2-5 is going to be insanely difficult to hold their attention more than 20 minutes. That is just my brutal honesty.

If you have more specific questions feel free to fire away and I'll field them the best that I can. Either Reality One, myself, or a few other kids performers here can give you some pointers or help you out a bit.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
When is the show? If it is within three months from now, you should decline the gig. You should not be accepting paid gigs that you are obviously not prepared for. Sorry for the brutal honesty.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results