A deeper meaning?

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Is there a deeper meaning to why you perform magic? Probably the main reason for most people is that they like to entertain, and magic happens to be their forte. Maybe people like the whole "Magic scene". Or maybe its just a fad for most people.
But what I ask now is: Is there a deeper meaning to why you perform? More than just "I like the reactions". For me, the answer to the aforementioned question is this: Control. I like the feeling of being in control, with magic I can control what my audience sees, what they experience. I can control cards, I can make a spectator see their card pushed into the middle of the deck, and then reappear on top in an instant. There is chaos in my life, there are circumstances which I can not control, events and actions which i do not like, and can not change. But with magic, I can have control in the midst of chaos. Peace whilst a battle rages on around me. So, although there are things in my life which I have no control over, magic gives me something to look forward to each day, it is one of the few constants for me in a world that is ever changing.
So again, I ask, is there a deeper meaning to your magic?

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
I use magic as an escape from reality sometimes.

If I have a rough day at school, or a horrible moment with somebody. (Much like my ex) I just pick up a deck of cards or a few coins and I'm able to escape into my own reality.

Shane K.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Is there a deeper meaning to why you perform magic? Probably the main reason for most people is that they like to entertain, and magic happens to be their forte. Maybe people like the whole "Magic scene". Or maybe its just a fad for most people.
But what I ask now is: Is there a deeper meaning to why you perform? More than just "I like the reactions". For me, the answer to the aforementioned question is this: Control. I like the feeling of being in control, with magic I can control what my audience sees, what they experience. I can control cards, I can make a spectator see their card pushed into the middle of the deck, and then reappear on top in an instant. There is chaos in my life, there are circumstances which I can not control, events and actions which i do not like, and can not change. But with magic, I can have control in the midst of chaos. Peace whilst a battle rages on around me. So, although there are things in my life which I have no control over, magic gives me something to look forward to each day, it is one of the few constants for me in a world that is ever changing.
So again, I ask, is there a deeper meaning to your magic?

You said everything that I was going to say.

I like the idea of control, but for me, if I am really going to be honest with my self. Its probably knowing things no one knows, and having the ability to do the impossible.

Or maybe its because I want to be special, I want to be different. I want to be known. I suppose what kicked this off was one of my campaigns at school to become the "Student Rep. for the Board Of Trusties" (Note, this was before I got into magic) and my slogan was "Powell Power". I won the elections, after 6 months of being in a new school and country. It was pretty cool. But I wanted to be recognized for more. I wanted to be the one to make a difference. And I suppose getting into magic has allowed me to make a difference. Im doing something no one else is doing. (In my school).

Agh, I'm rambling on now, and I'm losing my point. Basically magic is a way for me to be different. To be unique. To be me

Cheers, Tom

Sep 22, 2007
For me I think it is the fact that for a few brief moments I can make people disbelievers in the reality the have come to know.

Dec 20, 2007
What we as magicians do is not magic, we create illusions through sleight of hand, misdirection that kind of thing. Magic happens inside the spectator. That spark of amazment that lights up there face, the cringe of impossibility. David Blaine said once, "...a baby doesn't need magic because a baby lives in a world of magic, everything is amazing to him." We live in a society in which everyone knows everything, where information is comfort, and when you create doubt in reality, when you tear down their walls of comfort for just an instant, that is why I do magic. I remember the first time i made someone cry using magic. It was stigmata. I can't tell you how many people were there or any other reaction that night, but i will always remember her face the moment her world collapsed on her. I know many people do magic for attention, for uniqueness and that is totally cool. I do magic to show people that impossible is just a word, that anything can be done if you open your mind to it. thank you for this thread. [bk]

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
my reason for doing magic is that i LOVE magic. and i want to become the best performer. I love to perform and actually succeed. But if I fail, I love going back home and evaluate what i did wrong, and make it better next time. I love to just spend time practicing magic by myself, with others. I like to communicate with people so performing helps me do that. well of course i love to see the reations people get when i do a good job performing. i just love improving in my performance cause i can see myself, being an amazing performer. everything about magic, i just love it all.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
There are some great answers here, I'm glad that everyone took the time to look through the thread.
Its cool to know that people perform for more than just the enjoyment of entertaining.

When I first got into magic at the age of 5, I got hooked because I loved the fact that I could do things that adults didn't understand. At 7 years old, I was performing an ACR for a group of adults at one of my birthday parties, and they were completely stumped. That's where my passion started. Now, my perception on magic has changed. Not only do I enjoy being able to do things that others cannot fathom, I just plain enjoy magic. It's the sence of accomplishment I get after a performance that drives me. I spent the majority of my life not knowing what I was going to do with my life, or where I belonged in the world, and when I was introduced to magic, I finally knew.

Anthony Bass

Nov 1, 2007
Because reality is short, boring, and predictible. Magic appears to be the opposite of that - an impossible miracle in life. So when things get slow, mundane, day-in-and-day-out, magic provides an exciting alternative.

Also, magic hasn't really defined its artistic side yet: there's a lot of performance art opportunities there that's just waiting to be played with and explored. There are magicians today who are finding ways to express themselves and relate something artistically and metaphorically to the world using this powerful, weird, and astonishing media, instead of just being paid entertainment (not a slam on professional magicians - only distinguishing between stale "hired help" and creative, exploring technicians. And if you get paid for it, all the better :D)

Lastly, I'm a magician because I find that strange is beautiful. Disturbing, odd, different... strange people and things can be fascinating and memorable. Quality, weird, creative magic sends chills through me.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results