A Good Experience

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I am gonna be honest...I don´t like classical magic...the kind of magic with the magician on a hat and a cape and lots of bunnies, for the fact that here that´s the image that people has on magicians and I am usually asked why if I am a magician I don´t wear a cape and a hat and carry around a magic wand...sometimes as a joke...sometimes very seriously...

now this doesn´t change the fact that I do agree that classical magic is great!! I have seen magicians that I just get excited by watching how they appear doves and manipulate cards...Lance´s Burton manipulation act inspired me to create my own routine...and has become my signature routine in my act even among classical magicians

anyway with that cleared up, lets get to the story...

I usually perform magic in a place called "Plaza Campestre" I consider that my playground since there is a lot of restaurants and bars and alows me to test magic in bars, in restaurants and sometimes stand-up magic...and I usually get good tips there...

There is a restaurant called "La Molleteria" where sometime ago I did a gig...the owner seemed like a nice person...but she turns´out to be a manipulative and greedy person, he never payed me the gig and she was always excusing herself and hiding when I went to ask for my money...I think it´s ridiculous just to chase somebody to give you what´s rightfully yours....
anyway she ask me to perform the past friday, but I told her I will never perform there until she pay me the money that she owed me...and she got angry because of that...but I couldn´t care less

The past friday I was around the Plaza Campestre to confirm a couple gigs in other restaurants and I when I pass outside the "Molleteria" I saw a little table with a hat and a wand...I was really curious and surprised of that so I got inside and I realize that there was this magician that was preparing for the show...

I was really excited because it´s so hard to watch a magic show here in my hometown and also I was a little exceptic because of this "http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=24997" so I enter and took a seat and waited for the show to start

the owner was there but even I didn´t consume anything, he didn´t dared to ask me to leave because she was ashamed that she owe me money...

Anyway, this magician name was Ezequiel and suddenly he comes near me and I realize my whereabouts are very known by the magic comunity that I didn´t realize existed, since he told me the magic circle has been looking for me from some time but they have never manage to locate me...later I realize why they were looking for me...

Ezequiel looked like a nice guy and he told me he was very impressed of what he had heard of me and the things I do, he wanted me to invite me to join the circle and share my knowledge since I was very young and some tricks he heard I do, he never had heard of tricks like those (he describe me Dissolution, Son Of A Thief and Blindhammer to me) I admite I was very flattered and intrigued of the magic circle (it sounded like a secret)

anyway the show wasn´t great...I know, I know I am jerk...but he had some major flaws and a huge and I mean a really huge flash on a trick...I wouldn´t have continue with that trick If that should happen to me, but he carried on like nothing had happened, I was like WTF?...I didn´t like the fact that all his tricks rely on gimmicks and no one in sleight of hand...since It was stand-up magic I was expecting some, but no....

I didn´t heckle him or say anything during the show and I clapped like everyone else and when the show was over I just told him to be careful with somethings but that the overal show was good...and he took my suggestions very well!! which surprised me a lot...

he then asked me to do table hoping with him and I agreed and it was nice to do it and then we suggested each other of what things needed work and what things were wrong and what things were great...It was a really nice experience...he called my magic as very sophisticated and that it was true all the things he had heard about me...I was really flattered!!

I was thinking about visiting the circle from time to time, and share ideas...even when my style it´s not the same of them...I can always learn something new...

what do you guys think?

btw...a photo of a Mollete!!!

Attachments

• er-guishi_pxl_9b025ea516765849db25384d21bc8b8d.jpg
    er-guishi_pxl_9b025ea516765849db25384d21bc8b8d.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 65
Jul 14, 2008
I think you should definitely join the circle because it allows you to get more knowledge that you may never know. These people in the circle will become mentors to you and you will be to them. Honestly, I think it's a great way to make new friends.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Joining my IBM ring / circle was the best move I made 2 years ago. I have developed far more than what I ever could have on my own. Even found my current mentor / teacher. Definitely worth it.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Hey you should join. The guy was very nice to young and mostly liking the people in the magic circle should be the nice aswell.

It was funny when you were talking about the manger and that she didn't pay you and she also hid for you when you wanted your money. It reminds me a lot of my step-dad family. They own him some much money to him, but they just run away for him. Mexicans what can you do.

Sounds you had a good exprience.

Nov 11, 2009
did you warn the guy about the manager?

I think you should join too I think it could be a good growing experience for you and maybe them too :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results