Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
"Deux Ex Machina"
Journal of Sep 24
by Luis Vega

from wikipedia

A deus ex machina (pronounced /ˈdeɪ.əs ɛks ˈmɑːkiːnə/ or /ˈdiː.əs ɛks ˈmækɨnə/,[1] DAY-əs eks MAH-kee-nə) (Latin for "god out of the machine"; plural: dei ex machina) is a plot device whereby a seemingly inextricable problem is suddenly and abruptly solved with the contrived and unexpected intervention of some new character, ability, or object.

Sep 24
5:00 pm

"Finally!! I finished this" I say while closing the book The Artful Mentalism that I been reading from a couple months now, it´s a great book..

Now, I now have the sufficient knowledge to create a set with mentalism, I just need to find the way to test it in safe conditions and build experience in this field...
"Hey" I hear from the door
"Hey what´s up?" I say while realizing it´s my brother
"remember, today there is a big party at the Muchacho´s...so be ready at 10:00"
"ok, I´ll keep that in mind"

Great!! this is a good chance to start testing mentalism in the real world, although I will also carry my usual set.

when testing new magic I always like to do it in a controlled environment and then when I am done with a quick set, I tell the people that I am going to try something different with them, so if I fail they won´t be dissapointed..

9:30 pm

Cards,check
Silver Peso, check
Thumbtip, check
rubberbands, check
Wax, check
Taste, check
some paper and pencils, check

I am ready...I decided to not carry moe tricks in order to force myself to test mentalism, when I have more tricks than I need and I wanted to test something I am dragged to use the usual set because I don´t want to break the mysticism...why would I break it with an experiment? so I leave the strong stuff in my house

I pick up some friends before going there...damn!! Arlette looks hot today!! anyway she has a boyfriend so there is no point to flirt with her, we do have a nice chat anyway...she is a cool girl...

I arrive to the party and I just hang around with some friends without doing magic, I think is better to find the right moment to do it, to let it came by itself so it doesn´t look forced or that I am trying to gain attention, unless of course is a paid gig, so things are very different in that case, but today I am gonna relax and let everything to flow, I can safely say that a lot of people here doesn´t know me,that it´s good because I was thinking into engaging in some conversation and then let it come out naturally...

"OMG!! IT IS YOU!!" I hear next to me
"What?" I got caught offguard...I am not even sure he is talking to me
"It is you!! Luis Vega right?"
"Yes..is me"
"OMG!!!I saw you sometime ago...you are a great magician...wait here I´ll bring all my friends, since I told them about you, they got very eager to met you!!"
"great!! I´ll be here" damn!!! goodbye to the flow...

I go ahead with my usual set, in some minutes I have a big circle of people around me, wanting to see good magic, I decided to test the mentalism...

I start with a simple peek and it goes great, and then some tricks with cards and papers and I must admit I am surprised with the reactions, but I am not happy, I don´t think I have connected with the audience the way I think mentalism is suppose to..."don´t be so hard with yourself...it´s you first mentalism performance" I say to myself...

"wow!! everything is great!! but how do you know all those things...is it really mind reading, cold reading or intuition?" a girl asks
"it´s actually a combination of the 3"
"I would really like to see something like "The Mentalist"

I stop for a second, I really don´t know what to do next, but as a final trick I would like to do something to really connect with this girl...then I remember an old ability I used to have, it´s not magic per se but it´s something I can really use here to connect...

"actually...do you have you ID with you?"
"yes!!....mmmm...here it is!!"
"Ok...let´s take a look at your signature, you know..there is some things so personal like the hands and the signature, there is a lot that can be said by looking to your signature....like that you like helping family and strangers alike in any way possible"
"WTF!!! how the hell did you know that!! it´s true!! I am in the Red Cross merely to help people!! but there is no way you could know that"
"also I can tell you are a very emotional person, but even though those feeling are intense, you hide them from everybody"
"WHAT!!! that is so true!!!"
"and that you also have a personal problem with your childhood, something you don´t like talking a lot because you think the other people could laugh at it...but every pain is the same and I know you think that too..."
"Ok...this is actually a little bit scary, but that is also true...although I won´t say here what problem it is, but If you want I can talk to you later about that"
"if you wish...as a final thing, you are very concerned about the way people around you perceive you, friends, family and strangers alike"
"That is also true!!! damn! you are very good!!"

In a couple minutes I have a lot of people with their ID´s in hand wanting me to read their signatures for them...man!! I knew that the grafology would have some use later!!

3:00 am
my house

I reflect about this...I realize this could be something I can do in some intimate situations, although I will need to re-read about the subject again, I am very pleased with the results...it is a great way to connect with an audience in a very visceral way...I have find my Deus Ex Machina....

add me in facebook!!! http://www.facebook.com/luisvega21
and stalk me in twitter!! http://twitter.com/LuisVega_M

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
It is good to see you have finally finshed the Artful Mentalism, however you will keep going back to it. This acctually reminds me of one of my first paid pure mentalism gigs. After the show I was having a few drinks with the people that hired me and started speaking to a young lady. I spent the next 20 minutes or so performing psychometry for her with her rings. Telling her what each of them meant to her and also who gave them to her. It was at that point I realised the true power of mentalism.

Traditional magic is impressive amazing and so many other things but for the most part it is the magician demonstrating a skill that nobody else has. Mentalism at least has some practial uses (some magic has practical uses however most of it does not.) For example gambling demonstrations have a real world appeal however sandwich effects do not. Knowing what someone is thinking or predicting the future has masses of appeal and to most spectators is a useful ability.

However, getting someone to think of a card or duplicate there draw whilst impressive and useful as an entertainment medium is great but it lacks that real world usefulness. The ability to read minds should not be limited to book tests and chair routines, and for the most part modern mentalism is presented that way. You need to appeal to what the audience would use your talent for, and with mentalism it would be understanding people and for the evil ones how to control them.

When you start giving readings the person you are reading is instantly more fasinated with what you are doing because it is personal to them. Everyone else pays attention because they are hoping to find out some more information about the subject and also most of them will want you to read them later. The real powerful mentalism routines are the ones that truely connect on a personal level psychometry, readings and Q&A.

Luis shoot me a PM and I will discuss a few things that involve an interesting premise and is all I perform now.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results