A question about cards

Feb 17, 2014
Silver Spring. MD
I looked for this topic in previous posts and didn't find it. I apologize if it was there and I missed it.

Being new to the card magic world I have done a lot of Google searching for decks. There a lot of decks out there, many of them Kickstarter projects, that have branded and unbranded versions. In some cases the branded cards cost more and others the the unbranded. My question is this, which are more valuable? I am collecting cards as well as using them for magic and really want to know. As for the value, I am collecting for the love of the art, not money. I just can't shake the curiosity.

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
I don't own or collect 'designer cards' but if you are talking about the artistic value of a deck of cards I would say there is no way to answer it. The artistic value placed on any form of art is a personal thing, you might like something and consider it of value where others don't, its to objective.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
For use in performance most cards printed by the USPCC are pretty similar and will do just fine. Other brands I'm not as familiar with, but Fournier is supposed to be good as well.

Kickstarter campaigns don't always understand that they need a good reputation backing themselves to get the prices they're asking for. Usually the quality is roughly equivalent to Bicycle Standards or a bit better.

The 'collector's value' of a deck is extremely subjective. They are worth what someone will pay for them. My perception of it is that the newer 'rare' decks tend to sell for around $60 if they are from a popular company like Theory11, Dan & Dave, or Ellusionist. I'm going to go ahead and put it out there that I'm really only very familiar with E's decks since their designs are more to my liking.

Of the decks that have been produced recently there's a few that will sell for over the $60 price line, up to around $350 (Highest I've seen a deck go for). Of course, there's antiques and such out there, but they're a different market all together.

Do note - if you have a deck and you open it, its value is basically gone. A hard core collector might pay more than $10 for an opened deck, but I'd be surprised.

Feb 17, 2014
Silver Spring. MD
For use in performance most cards printed by the USPCC are pretty similar and will do just fine. Other brands I'm not as familiar with, but Fournier is supposed to be good as well.

Kickstarter campaigns don't always understand that they need a good reputation backing themselves to get the prices they're asking for. Usually the quality is roughly equivalent to Bicycle Standards or a bit better.

The 'collector's value' of a deck is extremely subjective. They are worth what someone will pay for them. My perception of it is that the newer 'rare' decks tend to sell for around $60 if they are from a popular company like Theory11, Dan & Dave, or Ellusionist. I'm going to go ahead and put it out there that I'm really only very familiar with E's decks since their designs are more to my liking.

Of the decks that have been produced recently there's a few that will sell for over the $60 price line, up to around $350 (Highest I've seen a deck go for). Of course, there's antiques and such out there, but they're a different market all together.

Do note - if you have a deck and you open it, its value is basically gone. A hard core collector might pay more than $10 for an opened deck, but I'd be surprised.

Thanks for the reply Christopher. I knew some but not all of that so I appreciate your insight. I guess more than anything I want to know which to buy, branded or unbranded, if I can buy either. Right now I am buying two of everything, one to use and one to collect. Buying four of every deck is out of my budget so I need to choose. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my novice question.

Brendan H.(4)

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Branded and Unbranded are pretty much the same thing. Part of the reason those exist is that there are some collectors that MUST have Bicycle playing cards and some trust having the brand name, even though it's still printed with United States Playing Card Company. Part of the why either Branded or Unbranded cost more could easily due to the print run. Sometimes they just print less of them due to there being a lower demand during the Kickstarter campaign, but that ends up being more valuable due to there being less. For example, only 1500 Unbranded decks are printed since there was only a demand for 1200 decks while the Branded deck has a print run of 3000 so now there's twice as many Branded as Unbranded. That ends up being funny as now people with what was less desirable, during the Kickstarter campaign, can point out that what they have is actually rarer, which would make it worst more.

As well, something to consider is that there's guarantee of what will increase in value or decrease in value. The best suggestion is buy what you like and what you can afford. Hopefully, they'll end up going in value and if nothing else, you've got something you like.

Feb 17, 2014
Silver Spring. MD
Thanks Brendan. I'm Ok with them going up or down in value as I will likely never sell them. Ideally I would get both. Now if I could just conjure some winning Powerball numbers.....

TaylorF

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2013
Texas
I find that most of the decks that are valuable are more limited, which tends to be a Kickstarter project deck. That said, there are many Bicycle decks that are valuable too. Take Red Fontaines for example. the deck was on IndieGogo, made, shipped, and then sold on ebay by backers, and cost $60+ a deck. Not the most valuable deck, but certainly valuable and limited (2500 made). The Bicycle Centurions decks have been valuable for a while, and pretty rare.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results