A Reflection

Jun 27, 2008
Illinois
Hey all, I just wanted to post some things I have been thinking about lately. First of all I was wondering if you guys ever get kind of down on magic? I kinda feel like that lately. I have not been very creative at all lately and almost nothing I see other magicians doing makes me stop and say WOW that is beautiful. I have not seen truly beautiful magic in a while. And a lot of times, I get really disappointed in a lot of what i see magicians doing because I really feel it is more interesting than amazing. I want to create MIRACLES not trivial "Oh, that's cool" moments. I want to create moments people will never forget. I just do not feel like I have seen anything like that lately and I certainly have not created any of that myself lately. Also, in the past five years I have been doing magic, I feel like I have seen so much that nothing really sticks out at me. I am in this ongoing pursuit to find something new, something that wasn't made for a camera but for a real audience. Something beautiful. Is there any certain book I should read or something? I either need these creative juices to flow or I need to see something inspiring. Do you guys ever feel that way?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I find that if I work to put together a new show or set it breaks up the monotony of doing the same old tricks and practicing . I like to get into other things besides magic as well that helps me really put my magic in perspective. Hanging out with friends and going to the movies is a good release. I look outside of magic for my inspiration most the time :) I don't know if that helps

James555

Elite Member
Sep 10, 2011
Australia
Yeah I have that sometimes. You try playing with cards but then you get bored, uncreative and frustrated.
Just take a break like Goatears said.

May 28, 2010
UK
i think almost all magic is inherently beautiful some times its hard for us magicians to remember that we all have a responsibility of elegance and that all of our art it based not only in our ability to deceive but to do so with beauty and elegance. if you are struggling buddy my suggestion (not that you asked so im so if i am overstepping) is to buy and read Derren Brown's absolute magic it is a whole book entirely on this subject, it completely changed my view of all magic and in my opinion it is one of the best investments i have ever bought. its expensive but worth it.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Stop obsessing over the magic world.

A writer who hasn't experienced life cannot write. Instead of constantly searching for the holy grail, just stop focusing on what other magicians are doing. If you're looking at them for inspiration, you'll always be behind them. Just live life and try to work that into your magic. My first piece of 'personal' magic, which I still feel is one of my more powerful ones, is Daniel Garcia's Torn with a story I heard years ago as the script. The story is not mine, the trick is not mine. But by putting that story (which is very significant to me) to that trick, it becomes mine.

You can do the same, but not if you're looking at other people for your miracles. Miracles come from within.

Feb 14, 2012
you do need an inspiration :)
some fresh wave or something.
anything gets old if you do it for a long time
OR maybe you just need to take a break?

Feb 14, 2012
I know how you feel, I have recently gone through the same, but then inspiration came to me in a strange way. I had a very beautiful night dream, but as soon as I woke up I couldn't remember anything about it, anyways, since that very morning I felt like it was my rebirth and started seeing beauty in everything. Isn't my story somewhat magical itself& There is beauty, there is magic, you just have to keep your eyes open and believe in it!

Aug 17, 2010
Hey all, I just wanted to post some things I have been thinking about lately. First of all I was wondering if you guys ever get kind of down on magic?

I'm sure that it has happened to everyone at one point or another.

What really helped me was to put together an act really thoroughly. I always wanted to busk, so I scripted and blocked my entire show, rehearsed it, and in doing so, renewed my interest. Also, having an effective structure to the show makes the tricks stronger. Same thing happened when I put a platform show together.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Though my performance days are probably over, I still play with ideas about a new show; my endeavor over the past few years have focused on Steampunk and the creation of a whimsical charlatan who's traveled the world collecting oddities and wonders and who just happens to specialize in things paranormal and of the esoteric. I chose this path because it allows me greater freedom when it comes to show content but likewise, it ties into a discovered side-track; my actual interest in the Jules Vern era and vision coupled with my fondness (addiction) to gadgets and related silliness found in those 19th and early 20th century "inventors".

Challenge yourself by taking side-interests and stitching it together with your magic. You don't need to invent anything "new" just see how to modify your presentation of things you already do, and in so doing, create a new way of presenting them that strikes that psychological chord in guests, that you're looking for.

Understand, we as the showman will always be jaded and not realize what we do and how we affect the public because we know what's going on and a kind of "remorse" exists on our part; a prejudice that prevents us from being able to experience the magic in the same light a lay person will. We've willingly opened Pandora's box and cannot unlearn what has been shown to us, so magic will never seem such ever again. . . except when we see people present magic we've yet learned of course. But that's the fun of the journey, isn't it?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
There are times that I do get a bit bored and tired of rehearsing, but usually that is when I tend to put on the brakes and do other things and let my batteries get recharged.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results