A Small Issue with "Cerca Trova"

Sep 9, 2007
cerca trova.

to be honest, being italian, the words "cerca trova" have bothered me in their current usage on this site.

"cerca trova" literally translates to "look find" (in the "they" conjugation of the verb).

a more proper translation would be "cerchi e trovi" or "cerchi, trovi" - or "look and find" or "look, find" in the "you" conjugation. (ie. you look)

or more politely "cercate e trovate"/"cercate, trovate" the you (plural) form.

I'll bet someone has pointed this out already though.

now i highly doubt someone's going to change their whole viral marketing campaign over it, but i'd just like to share my minr annoyance with it. thanks.

Oct 18, 2007
Yeah, it's Latin, not Italian. Why would they even use Italian? Anyway, I'm pretty sure that it's the 2nd person, singular, imperative form of the the two verbs "to seek" and "to find."

Sep 9, 2007
Yeah, it's Latin, not Italian. Why would they even use Italian? Anyway, I'm pretty sure that it's the 2nd person, singular, imperative form of the the two verbs "to seek" and "to find."

cool. thanks.

I figured this was some explanation.

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz

hey buddy, im sorry but i'm going to have to bust you on this one...

the basis of where t-11 got "cerca trova" from is from the historic Giorgio Vassari painting in a florence palace. now if you know anything about florence, you know its in italy. also vassari was italian. now why on earth would and italian painter put a latin phrase on an italian fresco in italy.

why?
because its not a latin phrase, its italian...for more info go here....
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/it^chi.html

-Brad

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
Cerca Trova sounds coller than most of the proper names you said, plus bboulton back then in Italy they probably talked latin and not italian, but I am not sure just spitballing here

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
i hate to break it to you, but the widespread use of Italian as the primary language of the citizens and art masters began in the mid to late 14 century. this was before the completion of that painting, so we can assume that the painter would use the primary language that he and his peers used, which is italian.

Sorry, you are wrong
-Brad

Edit- and yeah, cerca trova sounds alot better than the proper way to say it.

Sep 9, 2007
actually, the reason why i accepted the "it's latin arguement" is because i figured it could indeed be latin since even though the language spoken at the time, latin was still commonly used to give something that old or classical feel, much like it is even today for catholic related art.

still though, I'd bet there's a requirement for "and" or punctuation because I also speak a bit of french, a bit of spanish and understand portuguese (all of which have latin roots, much like italian) and all would require it.

i did assume though the "it sounds cooler that way" was the general arguement. It wouldn't be the first time...

Sep 9, 2007
yes..
every single language like spanish or italian have latin in it and they might have change the way they say it over the years.
Like in spanish
we say water as agua but the latin term is aqua..see..

well that's why they were all so easy to learn.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
You sir are correct, and myself especially-- sitting in a hotel room in Milan, Italy at the moment (at 4:30am local time!) should have caught that one. Dan White speaks fluent Italian as well. This city is amazing-- will post some pics when I get back to the states.

I corrected the note on the product page and the Gear category page-- sorry about that. It is in fact Italian! Good catch.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results