A tribute to Harry Lorayne

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Wow that was amazing. I was watching his rest of his videos and was blown away. Where can I learn his material?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
That's really quite sad.

Harry Lorayne is one of the most well known magicians within magic circles (or anyone with a modicum of magical knowledge). He's published quite a lot, and his card magic has been essential reading for anyone calling themselves a card magician for decades.

Personally, my favourite is his book Close-Up Card Magic. His hair is considerably grayer now that it was when he first authored it, but it's a classic of card magic. His considerable work on memory, amongst other things, is also particularly notable.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
I dont think most young magicians knows about Harry Lorayne, and thats quit sad.

But i dont blaim them, most people gets into magic today by finding an online magic shop/community and the way most of them work is to try to sell you the latest magic they have released telling you its the greatest.

Books? Who need books?! Just take a look at this awsome HD trailer, people are freaking out everywhere!! How much cooler isn´t that than a 60 year old book?

No but seriously, Harry has some of the best and most PRACTICAL card magic in print. The material would fool you badly if you dont own his books.

He has a lot of BIG books that you can look into, i would start with the classic collection 1 and then 2, they are expensive but you get like 5 books in 1.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Mmm. It's not all technology's fault either, though.

A performer knows his craft. One who performs but does not know his craft is a poor imitation and nothing more. Or at least, attempts to.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Sure you are right.

But its hard if your new to it to know where to find the right information and who you should listen to.

Also, if someone is inetrested in Harry Loraynes material, he is a active member on the magic cafe and you could ask him about it.

I dont think most young magicians knows about Harry Lorayne, and thats quit sad.

But i dont blaim them, most people gets into magic today by finding an online magic shop/community and the way most of them work is to try to sell you the latest magic they have released telling you its the greatest.

Books? Who need books?! Just take a look at this awsome HD trailer, people are freaking out everywhere!! How much cooler isn´t that than a 60 year old book?

Pretty much sums up my views. Of course there is nothing wrong with magic on the internet. Most of us would have no where to get our supplies of it wasn't for the online magic dealers. it's just unfortunate that the popular ones do tend to push their own newest effect by the latest popular artist, which is great for their business but not for people looking to get an in depth knowledge of what we do. it means people getting into magic end up overlooking the masters and all the classic essential reading.

Here's an idea: How about Theory 11 start doing a 'Classic of the Month' or something like that? They get in a limited stock of some classic magic text or DVD (Harry Loraynes books, Michael Ammars Easy to Master Card Miracles etc, stuff of that sort of style) and do a detailed breakdown as to why it's a classic and then allow people to buy it? It means we might actually save some of these move monkeys who only concern themselves with how many different kind of double lifts they can do.

Or maybe I'll just start up a blog and do it myself (without the selling part). Depends of I can be bothered of course, ha ha.

Just an idea.

Oh yeah, and just to be back on topic. I thought the trick was nicely handled, do need a bit more practice though as there was a slight pause before you did the move, but to be honest, i think that would fly past most spectators.

Rev

Jul 9, 2010
Saginaw,MI
i recently got his close up magic book and found the trick salt less which i think is a great trick but anyway dose any1 know where i can find the haLo cut

Jul 13, 2010
i recently got his close up magic book and found the trick salt less which i think is a great trick but anyway dose any1 know where i can find the haLo cut
It´s explained in detail in his 'Best Ever' DVD Vol. 1.
It´s also explained in 'Best of friends' Vol.1 and 'Personal Collection'

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results