Acceptable Losses

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I just posted an update for my journal and I feel there is something that can be elaborated on a new thread...

from my journal:

"here I want you to take this piece of paper and..." I say while I perform stigmata with one of my bussiness cards, it´s a great trick and I feel it hit great, but I made one mistake but I will call it an acceptable lost...I had an spectator behind me at the middle of the ***** and he saw what I was doing...this would be a great topic to discuss on the forums, but right now he saw the **** but he didn´t see the other part of the trick, I think that when an spectator sees a part of the trick, the whole trick is ruined, but this time I didn´t have a choice, since he step behind me in the middle of the trick...

some questions...

* do you have acceptable loses?
* when is acceptable?
* which ones do you feel can be avoided?

I encourage you to read the whole post of my journal and also give me your thoughts here and there...

cheers!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 4, 2008
It is not always a bad thing but it is always a dangerous thing. Depends on if that person is inclined to heckle. If a heckler catches you doing a move I'm sure you will hear about it. On the other hand, Rod The Hop recounts a wonderful story about how Charlie Miller taught him the cascade control. He was behind Miller before he performed it, Miller turned around, winked at him, and did the move.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I think he's referring to the times where someone is in the bad angles for a certain trick or move. Like ... if you started doing Torn, and then someone walked up behind you.

Mar 16, 2010
Lithuania
When i screw up on a trick i just look to the spectators and say: "Ups... Hey! I think i just ruind the trick!" :D I learned to do this by reading the 13 steps to mentalism by Corinda (r.i.p). He said that if you screw up and you cant find a way to slip out of it just say: "Im sorry. It didnt work because i messed up." :)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
So you mean making a genuine mistake? Mmm. I was wondering if he meant genuine messing up or failing in general, which are two different but interesting points.

Of course, everyone makes mistakes. It happens, we're human. It really depends on the nature of the mistake. Things like angles can be taught with audience control - but even then, every now and again you get a mishap. Things like flashing can be curbed with proper practice - but even Vernon screwed up sometimes, that's natural too. I wouldn't consider screwing up in this manner acceptable ever, but learn and move on, and address those that can be addressed.

I think this is what you mean Luis but tell me if I'm off.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
So you mean making a genuine mistake? Mmm. I was wondering if he meant genuine messing up or failing in general, which are two different but interesting points.

Of course, everyone makes mistakes. It happens, we're human. It really depends on the nature of the mistake. Things like angles can be taught with audience control - but even then, every now and again you get a mishap. Things like flashing can be curbed with proper practice - but even Vernon screwed up sometimes, that's natural too. I wouldn't consider screwing up in this manner acceptable ever, but learn and move on, and address those that can be addressed.

I think this is what you mean Luis but tell me if I'm off.

you are half right...

I wouldn`t call a mistake when you are doing a casual performance and somebody walk behind you...those are the kind of things you cannot control, like in the street and sometimes in restaurants when doing table hopping...

of course in a show you can control everything with audience control...

Jul 13, 2009
Yes I have acceptable losses. If I fail in audience management I still continue with the effect, if someone person notices I am doing something fishy, I kind of smile and wink. It is kind of like they just got a secret glimpse to something wonderful and want to keep it secret from the rest of the people.

It is kind of like a quote from a techno song I recently heard: "In total darkness, we are exactly the same. It is only the knowledge we hold, which separates us."

Sorry if my posts seem to be obscure.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results