Affordable Levitation Of An Audience Member?

Sep 9, 2010
I went to a magic show saturday, and the magician (Garry Carson) levitated a volunteer! it didn't appear that it would cost much money to make either, does anyone know of an affordable levitation of an audience member?

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Do me a favor and don't make one.

You could hurt someone if you do it wrong, and there are artists in the industry who do an amazing job crafting stuff like this.

However the affordable one that comes to mind is the Chair Suspension. Someone with more experience can probably best direct you as to where to purchase this - perhaps magic auction?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Your best bet to buy one would be at a magic auction so that the person who owns it can train you. Also...you had better have some pretty good performer's insurance policy if something would happen and the audience member tried to sue you.

Sep 9, 2010
There's actually a magic auction coming up in a few days at a place about an hour and a half away, unfortunately, it is on a monday (school night) , and it STARTS at 8:00 ( the flea market portion starts at 7:00) so the odds of getting out at even 9 are slim, then factor in a minimum hour and a half drive.... I can't go.

Sep 19, 2007
I own and used the chair suspension for many years. It would be one of the easier to use choices, as long as you are smart about using it. You could also research the Super-X, also called the "Walk away X suspension" by one dealer. For a kid or family show, there is also a flying carpet style suspension available.
The suggestion about insurance was a good one, especially since many more venues require it now. Do a search for the Specialty Insurace Agency.

Hope this helps,
Malik

Sep 9, 2010
Thanks Malik! i just realized i didn't describe the levitation, he had two stools, and he laid a board across them, then laid a tablecloth on top, he asked the volunteer to lay down on the board, then removed both stools, and she stayed in mid air, i think there was something under the board, but i could be wrong.

Sep 19, 2007
What you are describing is technically a suspension. if you look, there are many good ones available for a few hundred dollars. There are even some books with home made ones, but you need to be careful ion these cases.

Malik

LAKEL.AMBERT

Banned
Oct 13, 2010
Usually the channel's website will tell you the age limit for attending the shows in the area where it tells you how to get tickets for the show.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
MARK WILSON COURSE has a basic Super X Styled suspension that has been a standard of magic for at least 60 years now, it is one of the great stand-by props that you can make, provided you work with someone that understands how to properly bend & weld the metal. You can find other such systems in the TARBELL COURSE as well.

Depending on how large a person you wish to float as well as your typical performance situation, you might want to opt for the smaller "Flying Carpet" styled suspension (don't laugh, the Penndragon's used one for years); Go to Abbott's and get a Super X or find the plans for the Gwyn Suspension... all of these are great for the typical "living room"/small stage engagement.

The Chair & Board is neat but don't go on the cheap; they can and do collapse in one of several ways which can lead to an ugly legal mess with you holding the purse strings, should someone end up injured (and even trained assistants get hurt on these things, so keep that in mind.)

There are some others out there, you just need to look around. I know that Abbott's and Grant/Klam Magic produced several nice props of this sort for years.

Sep 9, 2010
MARK WILSON COURSE has a basic Super X Styled suspension that has been a standard of magic for at least 60 years now, it is one of the great stand-by props that you can make, provided you work with someone that understands how to properly bend & weld the metal. You can find other such systems in the TARBELL COURSE as well.

Depending on how large a person you wish to float as well as your typical performance situation, you might want to opt for the smaller "Flying Carpet" styled suspension (don't laugh, the Penndragon's used one for years); Go to Abbott's and get a Super X or find the plans for the Gwyn Suspension... all of these are great for the typical "living room"/small stage engagement.

The Chair & Board is neat but don't go on the cheap; they can and do collapse in one of several ways which can lead to an ugly legal mess with you holding the purse strings, should someone end up injured (and even trained assistants get hurt on these things, so keep that in mind.)

There are some others out there, you just need to look around. I know that Abbott's and Grant/Klam Magic produced several nice props of this sort for years.

AWESOME! I'm actually ordering Mark Wilson's Complete Course, and volumes 1 &2 of Tarbell very soon!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results