Am I good enough?

Oct 6, 2007
Well I've been wondering for a while, is it enough for me to perform only card magic? I always loved cards and never did i really get into other types of magic, so would i count as a successful 'magician' if i only do card magic?

I mean lets say, I want to make money through magic. Is knowing only cards good enough?

Also, I really don't like stage magic, so besides shows and stuff is there any other way I could make money?

(Not trying to sound greedy for money, just curious). A few tips would be great guys!...If it was from one of the T11 guys, or girl..it would really be helpful :)

P.S. Wouldn't it be really awesome to have a huge contest where the grand prize is like hanging with the T11 crew for a day? Like seeing waht they do at work , etc. ? DAMN i can't even imagine..

Loz

Oct 5, 2007
Northampton, England
There are obviously people who have been successful with just cards (Ricky Jay being the first person that springs to mind for me) but in reality if you want to be a paid performer I think you really a more varied repertoire. Were you thinking of restaurant work or something? If so I highly reccomend David Stone's DVD's which has got loads of rope, spongeball and coin stuff on there which will help to make you into a more well rounded performer.

Hope that helps.

Oct 6, 2007
Hey thanks for the tips,

i really dont know waht type of perfromer i want to become..

I ust don't want to have a particular time period in which i will ahve to perform..just soemthing like street magic, but pays haha...

Then find another job bro...best way I can say it without sounding mean.

If you want to become a paid entertainer, then whether you like it or not, suck up your ego and perform stuff that OTHER people like. Not just you...

Perfect example. I've been performing the sponge bunnies for about a year now (before that sponge balls...and still do perform that BTW). I HATE IT! But...lay people LOVE it...so, as a entertainer...that's there to entertain them, I have to perform stuff THEY enjoy. Not ME.

Sure, there are cards only guys. And Darwin Ortiz is the first one that pops in my head too. But, they are the exception, not the rule. Why? Because it's harder to be entertaining with cards then with sponge balls. Cards are boring...it's the magician that had to breath life into them, make the interesting. And sadly (no offense to anyone), a lot of people can't entertain SUCCESSFULLY with cards...but, give them some sponge balls and they get some good reactions, they think they're god.

It doesn't work like that....sponge balls are incredibly easy to entertain people with for many reasons...or just the two best ones. 1: They're unique and have not been seen before. 2: VERY hands on trick...the spectator's involved and actually DOING the magic.

Long story short. If you want to perform for real people, you need to check your ego at the door and perform stuff lay people like. Just ask any other professional magician...they'll tell you the same thing.

Best.
Steve
www.simmonsmagic.com

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela

If you want to become a paid entertainer, then whether you like it or not, suck up your ego and perform stuff that OTHER people like. Not just you...

Perfect example. I've been performing the sponge bunnies for about a year now (before that sponge balls...and still do perform that BTW). I HATE IT! But...lay people LOVE it...so, as a entertainer...that's there to entertain them, I have to perform stuff THEY enjoy. Not ME.

Sure, there are cards only guys. And Darwin Ortiz is the first one that pops in my head too. But, they are the exception, not the rule. Why? Because it's harder to be entertaining with cards then with sponge balls. Cards are boring...it's the magician that had to breath life into them, make the interesting. And sadly (no offense to anyone), a lot of people can't entertain SUCCESSFULLY with cards...but, give them some sponge balls and they get some good reactions, they think they're god.

It doesn't work like that....sponge balls are incredibly easy to entertain people with for many reasons...or just the two best ones. 1: They're unique and have not been seen before. 2: VERY hands on trick...the spectator's involved and actually DOING the magic.

Long story short. If you want to perform for real people, you need to check your ego at the door and perform stuff lay people like. Just ask any other professional magician...they'll tell you the same thing.

Best.
Steve
www.simmonsmagic.com
Amen bro, every single thing u said is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!.. I totally agree with you in everythig.. Sponge balls really entertain people.. cards can entertain but for 2 or 3 tricks unless you are Bill Malone hhahhaa.. No man just kidding... just some few people on earth can entertain a crowd with just cards they are the exception..

So darosa go and get some sponges that they for sure will entertain your spectators or go and get some coins and you'll entertain them too.. those are my two cents.. hope this helps buddy..

Oct 6, 2007
wow...harsh...

hm..so you guys are sayiung its much harder to earn money thriguh jsut cards??

ok.

but what about magic in general, if i do a few really hard hitting tricks, along with maybe a sponge ball routine, stigmata, bullet, etc...would that make me a 'good magician'??

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
Well I've been wondering for a while, is it enough for me to perform only card magic? I always loved cards and never did i really get into other types of magic, so would i count as a successful 'magician' if i only do card magic?

I mean lets say, I want to make money through magic. Is knowing only cards good enough?

Also, I really don't like stage magic, so besides shows and stuff is there any other way I could make money?

(Not trying to sound greedy for money, just curious). A few tips would be great guys!...If it was from one of the T11 guys, or girl..it would really be helpful :)

P.S. Wouldn't it be really awesome to have a huge contest where the grand prize is like hanging with the T11 crew for a day? Like seeing waht they do at work , etc. ? DAMN i can't even imagine..
also I'd recommend you Fooler Doolers from Daryl he has great tricks with everyday objects impromptu I think.. get this set :p

Oct 11, 2007
Well, since everyone is going down on you...let me at least give you something a bit more positive. You CAN make it with just cards, if you would like. Even though blaine does some little stunts and whatnot, most of his main things I've seen on his specials were cards, and many magicians do do mainly cards. 1.Cards are recognizable, almost everyone has played with them, so laypeople can relate. 2. They are easier to handle and to create new effects and variations with.

I think IF you were going to do cards though, and that was it you would need to keep creating newer and original stuff, because first I believe that a magician being payed SHOULD have a lot of original material anyways. If you keep it interesting then it could work. As stated though it would depend on the type of work, for resteraunt work and the like I think you need more. For street magic "specials" and T.V. shorts...cards are usually going to be fine.

Personally myself, I'm in the same boat, and have been trying to branch out from just card magic...but I just like the cards a lot, and I can do so many effects with 1 deck of cards, than carring around coins, and spongeballs, and riggin my jacket with ravens and pulls (which I do anyways) and having a TT on me.

BUT...But I DO believe that as magicians part of the magic is that we are able to do it with anything. Pick up a salt shaker, a safety pin, a shoelace, a coin, a napkin, sugar packets? We should be prepared almost always. There will be times when you will be caught off guard, but usually we should always be able to do a piece of magic no matter where we are. So that means branching out from cards.

I suppose in the end, if you are good enough you can pull it off. But other than that cards, mixed in with other great effects to show you know your stuff...is the way to go.

Good luck.

Sep 1, 2007
I think it is possible to entertain with cards. But its more entertaining to do tricks WITH cards than card tricks. The way I see it there is a difference. Card tricks are like pick a card and then I reveal it in some way. Tricks with cards are more like Panic, making a deck vanish, or Torn and Restored cards. I think those are a lot better because many people expect magic to be just "Pick a card, oh look there it is." I'm not saying those tricks are bad, some are actually very good, but from what I have performed for people they like the "Tricks with Cards" much better than traditional card tricks.

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
I think it is possible to entertain with cards. But its more entertaining to do tricks WITH cards than card tricks. The way I see it there is a difference. Card tricks are like pick a card and then I reveal it in some way. Tricks with cards are more like Panic, making a deck vanish, or Torn and Restored cards. I think those are a lot better because many people expect magic to be just "Pick a card, oh look there it is." I'm not saying those tricks are bad, some are actually very good, but from what I have performed for people they like the "Tricks with Cards" much better than traditional card tricks.
thats really true buddy

Best.
Steve
www.simmonsmagic.com

Yeah thats very true I performed with sponge-balls for years but when I started using sponge bunnies everyone just really loved my routine and the reactions were that much better. On that note most of the card tricks and sleights used now days are not original so its OK to penny back off those ideas to make your own great card magic. It doesn't make you any less successful. Do what you feel is right and what creates the best reactions from your audience. Thats what makes you a success!

True, alot of people have made it big on card magic alone, and I do believe you could to it too with the right amount of experience, but I do think it's a good idea to start looking into other types of magic. You never know, you may end up loving other types. For example, I never did like kids magic. Stuff like sponge balls, cups and balls. Didn't like them. I thought they were cheesy, and never saw myself doing that type of magic. Until one day I decided to try it out, now I LOVE those effects. So just give other magic a try to see if you like it.

Tony Blake

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results