Am I on the right road?

WV.

Nov 3, 2008
South Africa, Durban
I am basically learning tricks, and in the process, I'm learning the sleights required. I have volume 1, 2 and 3 of the Michael Ammar Card Miracles DVDs. Is this a good way to start?

I'm considdering to purchase The Royal Road To Card Magic DVD 5 Disc Edition or the Triology DVDs from T11.

If I just learn the different tricks and the relevant sleights, do I need to get the RRTCM DVD.

How difficult is the Flourishing in Triology for a beginner as myself to learn?

I also have Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia Of Magic and am learning a few of the flourishes from there, but I find learning from DVDs or video clips easier. What else can you guys recommend in the "visual" form.

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Getting the RRTCM is a very good way to go if you really think you're going to pursue this art. It would be a shame to spend all that money only to give up after a month or two. A great beginner card magic DVD is "Born to Perform Card Magic" by Oz Pearlman. It teaches the basic sleights and some very powerful effects.

The Trilogy is intermediate-advanced so you should stay away from that for now. For beginner flourishing, you should check out Xtreme Beginnerz Vol. 1 by De'vo Vom Schattenreich which you can find HERE or HERE or HERE. After that, you'll be ready to tackle The System by Dan and Dave (which you can find HERE or HERE) but you have to work hard at it.

Cheers,
Shanku

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hmm. The flourishing in the Trilogy is not recommended for a beginner - I wouldn't say it's impossible, but you will find it much harder (i.e. a month's extra practice for one flourish type harder) than if you got it after 6 months or a year of flourishing.

Since you're just starting, the RRTCM DVDs would be a great investment - Some parts of the Trilogy magic-wise will similarly be very hard, though this varies a bit more than in flourishing.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I would start with sleight of hand and once that is well into, i would go into flourishing.
I started with a book and that seemed to me to be the best way.
Here is my recommendation for starting magic:
1. Get Royal Road to Card Magic the Book. It is cheaper and has the same material. (once you have this i dont find a need for Born to Perform)
2. Michael Ammars material is good. You got some, you know that its pretty good.
3. Card College the Books are a great investment. Lots of reading but why not.
4. Here on, i would get DVDs of a bit harder level such as Simon Lovells DVDs. They arent all that special, but they do have a few gems inside. Joshua Jay also has a few good things packed inside his beginner material which you can find at Penguinmagic
5. Once you got all the card sleights and what not done, I would look up David Williamson, Gregory Wilson, and David Stone. These are 3 of my favorite magicians. They have great material, they teach well, and they also have great advice.
6. Once you have all that practiced and what not, you are pretty intermediate. From here on, it is just seeing other people perform and see what you like and dont like. You then decide what DVDs you want based on the description and your needs. It really depends if you rather gambling moves or magic or whatever. I usually go for more tricks and sleights than better teaching. I rather rewind the DVD a few times and learn more, rather than learn on the first watch and learn only a few things.
Note: I find books are better than DVDs. They usually cost less if a set has been made after them, they seem to be more "cozy". They usually have more material than the DVD version (notes, advice, anecdotes, etc.) and they usually look good on your book shelf.

Flourishing: Flourishing is a totally different segment of cards. I find magic more rewarding and interesting. Flourishes are "cool. your hands are sweet" but magic is "HOLY MOTHER! HOWD YOU!?!?!?!??!". I learn flourishes as a method of self satisfaction as mastering a move makes you feel good inside. I also throw in 1 or 2 false cuts in my magic just to spice things up. So starting, i would say.

1. Get the book Encyclopedia of Card Flourishes. This is written by one of the best flourishers ever. The book is packed with material with everything you would ever want to know (spreads, finger joints, catches, aerials, 2 hand cuts, 1 hand cuts, etc)
2. I would then go get The System by The Bucks or get Brian Tudor's Show Off 1-2, and Generation Extreme. (dont get Show off 3, its more of a DVD showing how good he is, rather than learning anything)
3. I would then get Motion by Daniel Madison.
4. Here on is just seeing what you like and deciding upon whether or not to get it. Xtreme Beginners is overly beginner. They spend like 30 minutes talking about flourishing environment and bs. Jerry's book is way more worth your money.
Notes: I dont find much satisfaction in buying flourish DVDs as they usually cost a lot and I just dont get the "ah... learnt something new today" feel. If you go for the Trilogy, dont get the magic DVD, i dont find it worth the money. The Flourishing and the other one is good, but not the magic.

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
It all depends on how much time you have on your hands. I started with the trilogy, and the j5 was the first 2 handed cut I learned. I had the time to learn a lot.
Again, It depends on how much time you have, and how much you're willing to practice.

-Eugene

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
If you go for the Trilogy, dont get the magic DVD, i dont find it worth the money. The Flourishing and the other one is good, but not the magic.

For me thats one of the best purchases i've ever made. All the sleights and tricks blew my damn brain when i first got it.

WV.

Nov 3, 2008
South Africa, Durban
Do they teach any flourishes in The Royal Road to Card Magic by R. Paul Wilson?

If I have the money (hoping and saving - Oh damn! I need cash for shipping as well!), I would to get this and Xtreme Beginnerz.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Mah bad, yes it does.

When you do get The Trilogy, as I assume eventually you will - take a look at some of D&D's effects, and work out if it's your style or not. I'd never use any of D&D's magic material personally, it's just not me, but many people find much use out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
London
Yes, there are some flourishes in Royal Road, classics like the Charlier cut, thumb fan and spring. I'd recommend getting the book before investing in the DVDs though. It's a lot less money, and, in my opinion, is the number one essential book for card magicians.

Jul 30, 2008
If you are willing to dedicate time and practise, I think you will be fine with the trilogy. For those of you who say the tricks DVD is not worth the money, I beg to differ. As he is a novice, he will be able to learn a wide variety of sleights which I am sure that he wil be able to add to his arsenal.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
If you are willing to dedicate time and practise, I think you will be fine with the trilogy. For those of you who say the tricks DVD is not worth the money, I beg to differ. As he is a novice, he will be able to learn a wide variety of sleights which I am sure that he wil be able to add to his arsenal.

I'm not saying at all that it's not worth the money. I'm saying, look at the effects, and see if you would perform them. I would never perform any of the Trilogy effects, so for me, it is definitively not worth the money. Furthermore, for a beginner, what does he need to learn, the One Handed Popover and the Spin Doctor double, or an Elmsley count, a normal double lift and a palm?

Jul 30, 2008
Actually, that was directed to sciffydof. Nevertheless, I agree with you. I personally only use a few tricks from the trilogy, but I must say that I learnt a myriad of sleights from the trilogy. (Not the one hand popover though, too brief). Many people do not like d&d tricks because they are too brief, angle sensitive etc. To a certain extent, that is true. But hey, to each his own. Anyway, back to the topic, I rather recommend the card college series than RRTCM discs. Also if you are willing, check out Syd segal's simply sydney for magic (Not too difficult IMO, definitely easier than the trilogy). I will not comment on flourishing as I am not too experienced myself.

WV.

Nov 3, 2008
South Africa, Durban
For florishing, I think I might go with Xtreme Beginnerz by De'vo for about $45. I saw a prevew and it appears to be quite good.

If I have the first 3 Ammar Card Miracle DVDs, is it worth getting Oz Pearlman's Born To Perform? Is there any other DVDs that focuses on sleights for about $30 or any other DVD that teaches a collection of modern tricks that is not too angle sensitive?

Jul 30, 2008
For florishing, I think I might go with Xtreme Beginnerz by De'vo for about $45. I saw a prevew and it appears to be quite good.

If I have the first 3 Ammar Card Miracle DVDs, is it worth getting Oz Pearlman's Born To Perform? Is there any other DVDs that focuses on sleights for about $30 or any other DVD that teaches a collection of modern tricks that is not too angle sensitive?

Born to perform teaches the basics if you don't already know. If so, it is worth picking up. However, it only teaches like 4 tricks and they might not fit into your definition of "modern tricks". If you want a collection of tricks, how about talk about tricks by joshua jay?

Sep 1, 2007
Seems like the original poster is pretty much ignoring the advice being given in this topic in favour of posting up what they think would be a good idea and just doing their own thing.

Maybe I'm just feeling especially grumpy tonight, but "visual learner" is a poor euphemism for "lazy" - if you can't take on board the advice that books are a valuable learning tool and far better value for money than DVDs then why on Earth are you asking for advice? Besides, since when was reading a book and looking at illustrations NOT a "visual" experience?!

For sleights you can't beat royal road, or card college but that's a big scary series of books. If you insist on spending cash on DVDs then Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights should do the trick. I am also a big fan of John Guastaferro's Brainstorm DVDs for tricks.

There - advice and a spanking all in one, multifunctional post.
David.

WV.

Nov 3, 2008
South Africa, Durban
Seems like the original poster is pretty much ignoring the advice being given in this topic in favour of posting up what they think would be a good idea and just doing their own thing.

Maybe I'm just feeling especially grumpy tonight, but "visual learner" is a poor euphemism for "lazy" - if you can't take on board the advice that books are a valuable learning tool and far better value for money than DVDs then why on Earth are you asking for advice? Besides, since when was reading a book and looking at illustrations NOT a "visual" experience?!

For sleights you can't beat royal road, or card college but that's a big scary series of books. If you insist on spending cash on DVDs then Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights should do the trick. I am also a big fan of John Guastaferro's Brainstorm DVDs for tricks.

There - advice and a spanking all in one, multifunctional post.
David.

Thanks for your input, but if you read my post, I did not ask whether a book is better than a DVD. What I wanted to know is whether I should get a DVD to teach me only sleights or a DVD that teaches tricks and in the process of learning the tricks, learn the sleights. And the second question I had was how difficult the flourishes on the Trilogy DVDs are.

Sep 1, 2007
That may well be, but the first part of my response was prompted by the fact that you haven't really referred to or followed up on the many excellent recommendations made in response to your question. The second part was me moaning about people insisting - as you did in your original post - that they find it easier to learn from DVDs thus discounting the wealth of information available in magic books which is really, truely where a beginner should start. The third part of my post was in fact a response to the question in your original post!

To be more specific about the questions as quoted in your last post:

Sleights or tricks? This for me is a total no brainer. If you learn the sleights on their own they are tools without a purpose; learn the sleights within the context of strong, practical tricks so that you understand not only the mechanics of a move but how to apply it within a magical context. This is why the RRTCM and Card College books are so great - you have a chapter dedicated to a certain category of sleight then a bunch of tricks to "work it in". John Guastaferro's DVDs teach all the required sleights within the context of some great card magic, as does Greg Wilson's Double Take (and more advanced) DVDs.

As for the Trilogy, I wouldn't know. Everything i've seen from the Trilogy makes me yawn - the magic is all flash and no substance and everything suffers from MCS - "Multiple Cut Syndrome". But if that's what you're into, then the Trilogy would probably be worth a look, as would XB.

I stand by my snark!
David.

Apr 15, 2008
I am basically learning tricks, and in the process, I'm learning the sleights required. I have volume 1, 2 and 3 of the Michael Ammar Card Miracles DVDs. Is this a good way to start?

I'm considdering to purchase The Royal Road To Card Magic DVD 5 Disc Edition or the Triology DVDs from T11.

If I just learn the different tricks and the relevant sleights, do I need to get the RRTCM DVD.

How difficult is the Flourishing in Triology for a beginner as myself to learn?

I also have Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia Of Magic and am learning a few of the flourishes from there, but I find learning from DVDs or video clips easier. What else can you guys recommend in the "visual" form.

I think flourishes is a little advanced for a beginner, but if you like the challenge go for it. As said before Xtreme Beginners 1 and 2 are really good. The Royal road to card magic teaches a load of sleights and other useful stuff and I think it would be great for any beginner to have. I would strongly recommend the Card College Series 1-5. All the books teach sleights and other great and useful material for all experiences of card magicians. This would be something you should look into also. Hope this helps.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results