An Alternative Approach to Hecklers

Oct 8, 2007
FCorrect me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Zhuge Liang? The only Liang I encountered in that era was him, and he fits the master strategist image you just said.

Well, that's another way to look at hecklers. I can say that this necessarily won't work for me always but I think it's worth a try. I agree though, on befriending them instead of trying to fight them off. I really like it when I'm in good terms with the spectators and we're all having a good time. I've done that once or twice, albeit a little different than the girlfriend-boyfriend scenario and it does work.

I had a good time reading it, thank you for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
FCorrect me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Zhuge Liang? The only Liang I encountered in that era was him, and he fits the master strategist image you just said.

It's probably an anglicized spelling of the name.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Steerpike,

I get your whole metaphor of the ancient Chinese warrior story relating to hecklers and why you choose to use it to illustrate your point but I have a different take on hecklers.

Maybe it’s the type of venues we’re doing and the spectators we get from them. For me it’s generally walk around and it’s very rare I come across a persistent heckler. Occasionally, I get those that have a few smart comments but they are usually easily handled and not that common. I find most people are actually great spectators.
I do recognize however that certain venues like stage can heed your advice. You can’t get away from it and you have to pull out the crowd control folder in your brain and take action.

From a hecklers point of view their objective is to discourage and disrupt your performance. While your intentions to turn a heckler are honorable, I find I’d rather put the effort into a performance for someone who enjoys being entertained then someone who is rude.

Maybe it’s my aggressive nature but I have no tolerance for disrespect. I'm no longer concerned with trying to “break down their defenses with action.” I politely excuse myself and move on. I accept the fact that some people just don’t want to be entertained and would rather be obnoxious. That’s ok; I’ll go to those who like to gather around.

So maybe my metaphor on hecklers would be more like this scene from the movie Karate Kid:

[Just before Johnny fights Daniel in the tournament]
Kreese: Sweep the leg.
[Johnny stares at him in shock]
Kreese: Do you have a problem with that?
Johnny Lawrence: No, Sensei.
Kreese: No mercy.

It’s also here at 1:05 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUkRmTaR4ug

Sep 1, 2007
Sometimes retreat is the better strategy.

But in my experience, the people who cannot be turned are few a far between.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Sometimes retreat is the better strategy.

It's not a war. It's entertainment.

But in my experience, the people who cannot be turned are few a far between.

Maybe, but why spend time trying to convert someone when you can focus on someone else that’s ready to enjoy it?

I know what your saying. My take on it is just different. I respect your view also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
It's not a war. It's entertainment.

You'd be surprised how many parallels there are between war strategy and performance theory. If you haven't yet read The Secret Art of Magic, I suggest you do so.

Maybe, but why spend time trying to convert someone when you can focus on someone else that’s ready to enjoy it?

If you can convert the hard case, the rest of the group is easy. Especially if you're in a venue such as a restaurant and dealing with some of the regulars.

Say a regular customer is giving you a hard time the first time you meet. The owner has already told you about this guy and he always brings friends. Retreat isn't really an option.

Convert him from an enemy into an ally, and you will have a staunch supporter for the rest of your days working there.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
You'd be surprised how many parallels there are between war strategy and performance theory. If you haven't yet read The Secret Art of Magic, I suggest you do so.
I’ll haven’t but I'm putting it on the list.

If you can convert the hard case, the rest of the group is easy. Especially if you're in a venue such as a restaurant and dealing with some of the regulars.

Say a regular customer is giving you a hard time the first time you meet. The owner has already told you about this guy and he always brings friends. Retreat isn't really an option.
Good point, but what I'm getting at is just go to another table and you may have greats specs right away and the place stayed level. Sometimes one bad apple spoils the whole bunch.

Convert him from an enemy into an ally, and you will have a staunch supporter for the rest of your days working there.
Very true. Sometimes someone you have a disagreement with ends up being very close in the end.
Or he stays obnoxious and continues to drink.

Sep 1, 2007
I never said this would be easy.

It depends on what you truly think is better for you in the long run. If it's a drunk who you more than likely will never see again in your life, bail. Don't waste your time.

If it's someone you'll more than likely be seeing later, you have to take a more patient approach. If you're working a particular venue regularly, the last thing you need is to upset the regulars.

Converting someone is a tough process and requires a lot of patience, but you have to ask yourself if you think the reward is worth it.

Mar 26, 2008
Around
You got a point there but to suffice to those thoughts there aren't too many people that are willing to put the hard work into it. It takes more than just sitting in your room and practicing your color change hours on in just to have it all ruined with bad presentation. In a way thats why I also tend to lean to make someone an ally first before taunting them into a pointless battle that just leaves you both wounded. I love reading "The Art of War", theres a lot you can take from the book. Is that where you got the story from?

Shane

you hit right on the head, if you want to be good and give the spectators what they deserve you have to study. I posted a thread about misdirection trying to get a topic going about the psychology of it and how it works, but nothing. People would rather post about the latest Chris Angle gossip or talk about who is better him or David Blaine. It gets kinda aggravating, I loved this post and it is very helpful.

Joe

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results