An Essay on Gospel Magic

I. Introduction
II. Personal Beliefs
III. Thread Subject Disclaimer
IV. Personal History w. Performing & Religion.
V. Multi Angle Review of Magic and Religion.
VI. Closing Thoughts.

I. Introduction
There was another thread (still open I believe) that was questioning the proper effects to use during a production of a magic show for a Christian church audience. In this thread I had given some loose ideas with my usual darker shade of comical cynicism when I drew the attention and fire from another of our forum members whom I can only assume to be highly offended by my jokes with regards to religion.

This actually got me thinking about the subject and I figured since Gospel Magic (although niche) is a very real aspect of our industry, and since this forum is all about growing in magic, I figured there will be people who would want to seriously persue this venue for what ever reason. So, I did some research online, drafted a quick six point outline, and typed up this short essay. I hope you will find it informative, impartial, and educational.

II. Personal Beliefs
I must point out that I, myself, am at current an atheist, swear to god! I do not agree with the churches current agenda, their outdated viewpoints on women, homosexuality, and respect to other religions, or the wide spread bigotry and hypocracy found in the common church scene. I believe that religion is a personal choice, and one each person must make for themselves from much review of all, if not as much of the current information that they can learn from as possible. Jaded, and cynical as my personal views are I do not however begrudge anyone for their beliefs (when it is time to be serious) so long as they can be respectful to others as well. (including mine.) For the most part I try to avoid this subject in mixed company at all cost due to the level of unpleasant conversation that it inevitably brings.

III. Thread Subject Disclaimer
This thread, having originated out of the desire to discuss a subject of magic within a venue that I don’t normally associate with is for mature debate only. My personal opinions, view points, and theological beliefs are not open for discussion or debate. Please direct all hate mail, concern, jabs, retorts, and replies to the aformentioned matter to my personal message box. From there I will be more than glad to discuss what ever with who ever that I wish. I don’t want to sound like a Diva here, but I certainly don’t want this to degrade into a religion bashing thread. That isn’t what this thread is about.

IV, Personal History with Religion and Gospel Magic
Performing for a church audience and the subject mater that will be important to those in these congregations is something I know quite a lot about. I grew up in a non denominational church with obvious catholic heritage. I stayed a member of this church through my teen years, attended confirmation class, and was confirmed shortly before leaving the congregation. I was highly active in the non denominational Christian youth group “Young Life” through my high school years and converted of my own choice to a charismatic Christian fundamentalism cult when I was sixteen. I stayed active in that church involving myself with ministry through dramatic, song, dance, and of course gospel magic performances until I left for college at the age of eighteen. At the age of fourteen I was placed in the adult bible study class because my questions and understanding of the theological beliefs that was the foundation behind our churches faith surpassed the ability of my young Sunday school teacher. I share this not to toot my own horn, or boast about my experiences, but as a way of reassuring you the reader that I know a little bit about the subject I’m going to write about.

IV. A Multi Angle Review of Magic and Religion
Traditional Christian groups have looked down upon the use of magic for ages. Most faiths consider the use of magic to go against God’s first commandment. Naturally the art of illusion is not the same as the act of spell weaving, charms, hexes, and curses (although I’ll put as much faith in those as I do in organized religion). Most main stream religious groups will understand this difference and accept it. However there are some groups out there, usually fundamentalist in nature, that will hotly protest of using even illusions to teach Gods word. They’ll cite Second Timothy and say that deceit is lying, and lying is a sin unto God. There is no winning with some people.

Before I go to much into more detail about Gospel Magic, I want to focus more on the roots of where this rift with magic and the church came from. If for nothing else than the sake of understanding and enlightenment. Magic was viewed with suspicion by Christianity from the time of the Church fathers. It was, however, never completely settled whether there may be permissible practicies, e.g. involving relics or holy water as opposed to blasphemous necromancy (nigromantia) involving the invocation of demons (goetia). The distinction became particularly pointed and controversial during the Early Modern witch-hunts, with some learned authors such as Johannes Hartlieb denouncing all magical practice as blasphemous, while others portrayed natural magic as not sinful.
The position taken by Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa, one of the foremost Renaissance magicians, is notoriously ambiguous. The character of Faustus, likely based on a historical 16th century magician or charlatan, became the prototypical popular tale of a learned magician who succumbs to blasphemy (pact with the devil).
The current Catechism of the Catholic Church discusses divination and magic under the heading of the First Commandment
It is careful to allow for the possibility of divinely inspired prophecy, but rejects "all forms of divination":
(2116) All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.
The section on "practices of magic or sorcery" is less absolute, specifying "attempts to tame occult powers" in order to "have supernatural power over others". Such are denounced as "gravely contrary to the virtue of religion", notably avoiding a statement on whether such attempts can have any actual effect (that is, attempts to employ occult practices are identified as violating the First Commandment because they in themselves betray a lack of faith, and not because they may or may not result in the desired effect).
The Catechism expresses skepticism towards widespread practices of folk Catholicism without outlawing them explicitly:
(2117) [...] Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another's credulit

(To Be Continued)

Last edited by a moderator:
(Continued from Above)

Of course modern Gospel Magic doesn’t come within spitting distance of any of the above described “sins”. Gospel magic uses illusions adapted to a religious meaning to teach and inspire the word of God to people. Many classic magical illusions can be adapted to teach a biblical lesson and accompany a verse or two if you just sit down and think through it. It also certainly doesn’t hurt any to be a bit creative either.

A lot of churches today are looking to alternative ways to re-inspire the message of God and bring his word to an uncaring community in ways that they will listen to. They are accomplishing this arduous task through song, dance, community theater, and even magic. Of course there are those out there that think the offense of the cross has been replaced with an all-accepting church without standards, but I personally believe that if you’re seeking to glorify god, and teach his will through your talent then you’re okay. So long as it’s gods will that is driving your show, and not your need to show off your skills or get a paycheck.

Teaching and entertaining through Gospel Magic can reach across boarders that no other form of preaching can. Hymn sings, family programs, seminars and tasteful entertainment are great ways to reach out to our communities. It allows our neighbors to meet us in a relaxed atmosphere. It can open many doors to witness.

Available venue choices for the Gospel Magician could be block parties and socials for churches, vacation bible school, Sunday School lessons, Carnivals, and Fundraisers. When you are performing remember that the emphasis is on teaching, not performing. You should encourage, reprove and correct, pick out appropriate verses and craft the message you believe the Lord would have you give. A few specifically selected illusions or other object lessons are chosen to help young people remember the message and to create better understanding.

V. How to Use Magic to Teach the Gospel.
Here are some great church friendly suggestions on effects that you can use to help preach the word of God.
· Lotta Bowl: to demonstrate that gods cup over flowith, or abundance with Christ.
· Ambitious Card, (force King of Hearts) to demonstrate Gods ambition to be in your heart always.
· Torn and Restored card: Forgiveness of sins
· Rising Card: Christ rising from the grave.
· Plate Spinning: Balancing your life with God’s will.
· Spike, Stabbed, or Bullet Catch: Faith in God.
· Chain, Straitjacket, or Handcuff Escape: Breaking the chains of bondage/addiction.
· Cubio: The power of Please and Thank You (children’s effect)
· Misers Dream: Spiritual Wealth found in God or You can’t take Earthly riches with you.
· Lie Detector Test: To display the gift of decrement
· Burning Bible: Give the audience the real “fire and brimstone” speech.
· Stigmatta: Self explanatory
· Wounded: Healing through the faith
· Or use your imagination.

I also did a web search in doing research for this article and found these two effects that you can use to teach about god. I did not create these, and all credit belongs to their originating authors. I simply reproduced them for your education. They are as follows:

1. Gospel Magic : The 4 Missionaries
Guest Author - Dennis Regling

Here is an easy card trick you can use to teach a Sunday school class or as a witnessing tool. I like to use it on the street, or the laundry mat or anywhere I can strike up a conversation with a stranger.

Four Christians: Jeremiah 23:3 And I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all countries whither I have driven them, and will bring them again to their folds; and they shall be fruitful and increase. God will gather his people together from all nations. A message on evangelism.

Effect: The magician shows a spectator four aces that represent missionaries. The aces are placed in various locations in the deck. The magician then pulls the same four aces off the top!

Secret:
First, you need find four aces out of the deck.
Then put any three cards behind the aces and fan out the four aces so the spectator can't see the three cards in back.
Put the cards together and put them on top of the deck.

Tell a story about four missionaries going throughout the world. Take the top card(which should be one of the three random cards) and put it in near the bottom of the deck. Say that missionary is going to Australia. (Down under - get it?)

Put the next card from the top of the deck near the middle of the deck and say the missionary is going to the South Sea Islands.
Put the next card near the top of the deck and say the missionary is going to Asia.
Keep the next card on the top saying the missionary is going to Canada.

When Jesus returns, he will gather his flock from throughout the world. Now take the top four cards of the top of the deck and they will be the aces.

Take the Opportunity: After doing the trick, I ask the individual if they will be in the flock Christ gathers. If they say, "no," or that they are not sure, I then either witness to them about Jesus or I give them a tract they can read later.

Usually, I will do one or two simple tricks before I do this one. That gets them interested in the magic, then this effect slides them into the spiritual discussion.

Magic is always a great ice breaker, and folks are more receptive to taking tracts and/or discussion once you've shown a genuine interest in them and entertained a bit.
Dennis Regling is an author of “50 Gospel Magic Tricks” and it is available through his website at www.magicministry.com.

(To Be Continued)

Last edited by a moderator:
(Continued from Above)

2. Apples & Oranges Gospel Magic Trick

Here is a great "gospel magic" lesson. It also is just a good trick for the non-Christian audience.

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

This is a very simple, yet very magical effect and a very visual demonstration of a Bible truth. A lot of folks claim to be Christian, but the Bible is very clear, when Jesus comes in, it is life-changing.

Effect: An orange placed in a bag magically transforms into an apple.

Needed: 1 paper bag, 1 apple, 1 Navel orange

Performance:
Peel the orange very carefully by slicing with a knife. A large navel orange seems to be the best for this. Eat the orange. Cover the apple with the orange skin. The more care you take peeling the orange, and perhaps even glueing the skin back together along the seams, the more realistic the effect.
Show the paper bag to be empty. Show the orange, place it into the bag. Read 2 Cor 5:17, reach into the bag, remove the apple. Crush the bag and orange peel together to demonstrate that the bag is empty.
Very magical.

3. Which Way - A Gospel Illusion

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Here is an interesting Gospel magic trick you can use.
Which Way? A Sermon In Science

Effect: An arrow that is clearly pointing one way is seen to instantly, and visibly change direction.

Props: A sign depicting HEAVEN, a sign
depicting HELL, a picture of a large arrow, a clear
water glass, pitcher of water.

Note: The glass should be made of glass, and not plastic.

Performance: As Christians, we believe that there is an ultimate goal, or direction for our lives. It is an eternity spent in Heaven, with our Lord. However, as you will see by looking at our display, there is a built-in problem with our being able to reach that goal. You see, we all have sin in our lives (Rom 3:23), and that sin prevents us from heading in a direction toward
Heaven, and actually steers us toward Hell!

Let me demonstrate what happens to a person's life, the moment he or she
believes on Jesus for the forgiveness of sin.

Place the glass in front of the arrow, and you can still clearly see that the arrow points toward the sign marked HELL.

Our lives are to be as vessels, willing and able to hold whatever we put into them. Looking at our example, it would appear that no matter how "clean and clear" our lives appear to be, without the Lord Jesus, we are not only empty inside, but we are headed for an eternity in Hell, apart from Christ.

Let's suggest, just for a moment, however, that the water in this glass (hold up glass of water) represents the Word of God. We know from John 1:1 ”In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”

In other words, when we refer to the Word, we are also referencing Jesus Christ Himself.

And let's take a look at what happens when we allow the Word, (or Jesus) to come into our lives by believing on Him to forgive our sins, and change our eternal destination.

(Pour the glass of water into the first glass and watch as before your very eyes, the direction of the arrow appears to change, to point toward HEAVEN!

What this little illusion is showing us is a truth that can change our very lives for an eternity! If we would only believe on the Lord to forgive us of our sins, He is faithful and just to do just that!

And the change in our eternal destination is an instant thing! When
Christ is in us, and we are in Him, we are on our way to Heaven. and that is a truth worth shouting about!

Additional Note: This little illusion is an illusion for the eyes, but it is also a scientific principle in action - that of "refraction". Refraction is what happens when light is "bent" through a lens of some sort. and just
such a lens is created when we add the water to the clear glass. Have fun with this not only can you show the audience a nifty little science lesson, but you can share the truth that is capable of changing their lives for an eternity!

VI. Closing Thoughts
Gospel Magic is a wonderful tool to preach and teach. It presents a unique look at the scripture in a fun and entertaining way that appeals to multiple types of people without relying on the “fire and brimstone” speech typical of older generations. If you practice your craft well, and research your scripture enough then I think you’ll find your shows will be educational and rewarding for all.

Subject Sources Cited:
1. My own experience
2. Wikipedia
3. bellaonline.com

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
V. How to Use Magic to Teach the Gospel.
Here are some great church friendly suggestions on effects that you can use to help preach the word of God.
· Lotta Bowl: to demonstrate that gods cup over flowith, or abundance with Christ.
· Ambitious Card, (force King of Hearts) to demonstrate Gods ambition to be in your heart always.
· Torn and Restored card: Forgiveness of sins
· Rising Card: Christ rising from the grave.
· Plate Spinning: Balancing your life with God’s will.
· Spike, Stabbed, or Bullet Catch: Faith in God.
· Chain, Straitjacket, or Handcuff Escape: Breaking the chains of bondage/addiction.
· Cubio: The power of Please and Thank You (children’s effect)
· Misers Dream: Spiritual Wealth found in God or You can’t take Earthly riches with you.
· Lie Detector Test: To display the gift of decrement
· Burning Bible: Give the audience the real “fire and brimstone” speech.
· Stigmatta: Self explanatory
· Wounded: Healing through the faith
· Or use your imagination.

I also did a web search in doing research for this article and found these two effects that you can use to teach about god. I did not create these, and all credit belongs to their originating authors. I simply reproduced them for your education. They are as follows:

1. Gospel Magic : The 4 Missionaries

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to do a well constructed essay, it means a lot.

Now, onto the thread, I am catholic, and I use magic sometimes to spread my religion, but not in that way, I mean, a lot of people may take the fact of you using tricks along verses in a bad way, (believe me I have tried) and sometimes they doesnt react as you expect them to react,for some people it can even be scary if you present magic that way...

Yeah, using the verses in the bible as patter for your tricks it's something very creative in my opinion, but as I said before, I have already tried and I didn't got the results I expected, even more , a lot of people started telling me that a deck of cards is from the devil because they are used to gamble and such, so yeah, I had a bad experience there...

Instead of doing that, just use magic with people as an opener, I mean perform your tricks just like your normally do, once you finished with your routines, rapport should be already gained and it is more easier to talk with people that way, they laughed, they were enterteined and now they are more open to whatever message you have to give....

Please,refrain form using verses as patter, I have tried a billion different ways to present it and 80% of the time, it doesnt works..

Kudos to you Draven, it is a shame that people actually reads more things like "youtube" "check my new color change" rather than this pieces of wisdom:p...haha.

Keep the good work.

Your examples are really, really, really lame. All of them. They might be relevant for a kids show or a children's sermon, but even then...

I have yet to go to a Jesus magic show in which the Jesus part is done well. Usually there's a part towards the end of the show where the just pop out this super simplified, super protestant, super penal substitionalized Gospel, that really can't do the show as a whole any good and can't a person's theological understanding any good, either. I'm sure it can be done, though; I just haven't seen it yet. Maybe that's what I should attempt...

Oh, I'm not saying "I'm better". I am saying that those examples are bad, and would surely discourage me as a (young) adult from joining any such faith. But sure, if you like I'll think on it and see if I can come up with a way that'd work better, though it does depend on a person's style.

Oh, I'm not saying "I'm better". I am saying that those examples are bad, and would surely discourage me as a (young) adult from joining any such faith. But sure, if you like I'll think on it and see if I can come up with a way that'd work better, though it does depend on a person's style.

Then may I suggest that you supply a better list of examples for those young adults who may be interested in performing Gospel Magic to better educate them and guide them on their way?

Coming from a Christian Illusionists perspective

An excelent essay William. Something I strive for when I do Church shows is to make the magic strong but the message strong as well. Virtually any effect can be adopted to have any message that you want to put out with it. However, there are parts of the show that are designed just to be entertaining. I have two main goals with my church shows. 1. To try to show people what I believe and leave the choice in the matter up to them (I do not beat people over the head with the Bible and tell them if they don't repent they are going to Hell, quite frankly that is not my place). 2. To show the magic world that Gospel Magicians can be good magicians to (we kinda get a bad rap normally, not that in the past we haven't earned it sometimes).

I think the reason that I get along well with so many people who do not share my belief or faith is this.... If people do not want to hear about God I don't press the issue and I don't view anybody as beneath me nor do I judge people for not believing (as some in my faith are prone to do).

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Very good essay. I use to attend a Southern Baptist Church and ended up in a more 'free worship' Christian Church while at college. I did a few magic tricks for some of the members, but never a show for the entire church.

One of my favorites was Healed and Sealed, not originally my idea-saw it in a video-but it can teach the Gospel. It was fun.

I will say that it's been two years since I've been inside of a church, and that was for a wedding, so I'm not as keen on more examples or even suggestions. I'll leave that to the people who do Gospel Magic.

I always enjoy your essays and posts, informative and easy to read.

-Rik

Here is the basic lay out of my show

this will be a 3 part post as the show is broken into 3 parts Illusion, Mentalism, and Message

Part 1 Illusion

The first 3rd of the show is purely for entertainment purposes
involving some classic effects (with my own presentations) Please do not make the mistake of thinking based on the list that the act is tired and old magic that does not impress an audience remeber it is not about the tricks it's about how you present them and yourself.

Manipulation of cards, billiard balls and linking rings set to music (learned from my studies at the Chavez Studio of Magic)
(this sets up the fact that I know what I am doing and I am not just some hack who happens to be a christian but that I am a trained and skilled illusionist who has put years of my life into this art)

Norm Neilsens Vanishing Coke Bottle (to warm up and see how responsive or quiet my audience is...)

Magic Square ( the premise here is to warm up my mind)

The Cut and Restored Rope (a little comedy byplay and some audience participation)

Robbie the Racoon (Hey this thing rocks and you gotta have something for the kids, I use it to bring a child up on stage, this serves two purposes, First it shows that I have an endearing side, Secondly I get to make a childs day special becuase He/She got to help The Magician on stage).

My Nephews Poster ( a unusual card routine using a poster my nephew drew for me)

This ends the first part of the show and I thank the audience and cut to a video of me flourshing, which at the end discusses that what they have just seen was sleight of hand but the rest of the show can not be explained using sleight of hand, Introducing the Psychological portion (mentalism)

this will be discussed in part 2

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results