And all will be consumed?!

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Looks great but I was put off as soon as I saw "gimmick included". Not to say I wouldn't use it but I wouldn't buy it until I found out what the gimmick is.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
i know but it seems like its examinable..
Yeah but a lot of tricks like this must be done with specific size and shape bottles so I'd want to know if I have to go and buy a specific brand drink then prepare it or if I can do it with any bottle, any time.

Feb 4, 2008
I've seen a few folks over the past few years who have posted impromptu versions of this on online forums. What he seems to have done is figured out how do do this with the cap on the bottle.

there is an impromptu version included (austin fields helped with the method)
i prefer the gimmick because it looks very clean and it is very easy to use.
you can modify the gimmick to use with all kinds of bottles. we just used the gatorade because it was available ;-)
thanks for the good words and hope you enjoy
i use this all the time and it is very practical
hope that helps a little

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 20, 2009
California
I was just going to say that I thought this effect had been around a while and didn't need any kind of gaff. . . then again, that particular company isn't known for accurate research and giving credit where due
it has the guy that had shown us said he found it in an old linking ring.

i would like to assure that i didnt skimp on the research. i talked to multiple sources and magicians about this effect and looked around myself in many books. i credited all that i could that have done work on this particular coin in bottle.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
i would like to assure that i didnt skimp on the research. i talked to multiple sources and magicians about this effect and looked around myself in many books. i credited all that i could that have done work on this particular coin in bottle.

Here's the problem. . . we usually ask our peers rather to approaching an actual historian. There are plenty around and approaching the major publishers is always a first step in that they have most of their back issues cataloged now days and searchable. Too, they usually have someone that serves as a chronicler they can direct you to who will be able to give you the history of a piece/concept/general effect or method off the top of their head including where to look.

yes, it's a challenge to do this research but at least when you make the effort you aren't looking like a schmuck. Same is true when it comes to field testing a piece; you need to place your effect into the hands of noted, working pros; people that are trusted and known not a dozen friends that are going to tell you what you want to hear. I've gone so far as to deliberately give a copy to someone I know will rip it apart.

Why?

Because that feedback is vital for me when it comes to improving upon the concept and in many instances, tracking down other resources that can be credited to the piece and so forth.

In the past few years there have been dozens of very cool electronic/tech-based effects hit the market, the majority of which being impractical to the working pro because of the lack of deceptivity in the design, the DEATH TOLL spirit bell from Taylor Imagineering being a prime example in that a 1" plastic base is attached to the bottom of the bell with a very questionable cover to the guts that make the thing work. Where the method and set-up are "genius" the finish is far from being up to snuff. I've through close to $100.00 into my unit just to get it close to performance quality (appropriately deceptive).

If done on stage or even in a living room setting where distance exist between the prop and the public this flaw could be seen as not being as big an issue as it is for those of us that work at intimate levels and quite close contact with the audience. Death Toll aside, these are things that must be considered when developing an effect for the market. I more than understand eagerness, but I've learned the hard way that one must be patient and take there time before introducing an idea. In fact, th e majority of solid, top rated magic that's been produced over the past 30 or so years, tends to be stuff used by the old timers throughout their career and only then, as they prepare to retire, is it released and shared with one and all. The delay being brought about because they were still perfecting the piece rather than running out and greedily publishing a brain fart. But then that's another point. . .

If you want to build a name and trusted reputation as an effects developer, don't run out to sell every idea that pops into your head; give it away! If you contribute to this and that magazine, especially the classics like MAGIC, Genii, Linking Rings, etc. you will gain more credibility than you will with all the little eBooks and downloads everyone is hovering around. If you do this steadily for a couple of years, you will find that folks will buy your stuff later at more money simply because you've become "a name". . . a trusted brand. Such things also lead towards getting booked for lectures and workshops at conventions as well. So when it comes to the Ego Boost of getting stuff out there, you may want to cool your heels a tad and look at how effective the slow boat technique can be.

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
Can the effect be done with any bottle? I mean, is a specific size/shape needed?

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
On page 1 Chris said this: you can modify the gimmick to use with all kinds of bottles. we just used the gatorade because it was available

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results